Removing Gorilla Glue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Removing Gorilla Glue

Gorilla Glued small plastic geese on the front of my 1979 Scamp fiberglass cabinets by PO! GRRRRRRRRRRRR! Glue impossible to remove!!!!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
Gorilla Glued small plastic geese on the front of my 1979 Scamp fiberglass cabinets by PO! GRRRRRRRRRRRR! Glue impossible to remove!!!!
You should be able to mechanically remove the glue resin. Tape off non affected area around the glue, and slowly sand with a block of progressive grits of sandpaper. Then polish the area to a shine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #3

Florida
Hi Jim,

This is what I've been trying to do with the end result being the removal of the gel coat as well. So, now I need to repair that.

I had been contemplating repainting the cabinets anyway because they have so many patched holes, scrapes, oxidation, etc... Those things are still an issue even after using a marine fiberglass cleaner and polish. So, this is the tipping point to go ahead and paint them after I get the glue ground off.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #4

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
A torch and good insurance is a good solution for just such an occasion!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
that is why they make cling vinyl decals
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Brake Clean on a rag maybe? But it will damage some plastics and dissolve paint. I use it all the time for various tasks. It hasn't damaged any fiberglass that I used it on. Used it to remove duct tape residue on our Uhaul camper.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I use to use lighter fluid to get glue off fiberglass tubs
Maybe it will work?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
A torch and good insurance is a good solution for just such an occasion!
They can trace the touch back to you...how bout one male mouse with a match taped to his belly and one female mouse with a striker taped to her back.?.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Suicide Mission Mice?

Will they be given full disclosure first?
Old 02-04-2017, 01:41 AM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
In that case use a grinder and take it down to the wood line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
:Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #11

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Glue can be a problem. Goo Be Gone or something similar is a suggestion. You might try heating the spot with a hair drier and see if it softens enough to scrap it with a putty knife. Try not to gouge. Rounding the corners on the knife might help. If all else fails, you can sand it out. Start with a block and switch to a rubber pad or sponge backer when necessary.
When the glue is gone you can clean up the gel coat unless you've gone through to the glass. Use some 600 - 800 paper and then rub out with some finishing compound or swirl remover. If you decide to paint, I have had very good luck with Interlux Perfection available online or at marine stores. It's a 2 part paint that is self leveling and is maybe the next best thing to gel coat. I think Allgrip and Petit make similar products. I've owned a 1977 live aboard sailboat since 1994 and it still has the original gel coat hull with a number of repairs. It's showing it's age but not in need of paint yet. I've used the Perfection paint on the deck, cockpit and seats. It touches up nicely and the paint on the seats is now about 18 years old.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Tonnie--it is SO annoying to have to work so hard to take away someone else's personalizations! I told a décor-nutty friend once, dogs pee to mark their territory--you decorate. She didn't appreciate it. OK, it was my mother. I'm a BAD daughter!

We spent a great deal of time cleaning up our 73 amerigo as well--no geese, but PO's sloppy paint job covering EVERYTHING. Which hid a great deal of worse situations--rust, rot, etc.

But plastic geese gorilla-glued to a cabinet? That's just GOOFY! Or should I say, "GOOSEY!"

Someday, no doubt, someone will be fretting about our customizations/personalizations, too...like the blue-diamond footprint I stuck to the inside of the "putin" wall to go with the tin sign: "If You Aren't Barefoot, You're Overdressed!" Which seemed pretty funny for the first 6 months it was up there. The (tiny-screws) screwed-on sign can come off easily, but the little blue-diamond barefoot footprint is stuck on with level 2 or 3 3M double sticky back tape and isn't going anywhere any time soon! So I'm guilty of "decorating," too!

My condolences on the mess in your Scamp... And best wishes for a good repair paint job.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Maybe i missed it but have your tried heating it up w/ hairdryer( not sure anymore why i have one lol) and then maybe goof off or goo gone
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Heat

Using a hairdryer has been suggested.

Better still is a heat gun on 'low' setting. My Harbor Freight $9 heat gun has two settings, low and high. I find it's useful to try this first, as sanding can do more damage to the surrounding fiberglass.

Good luck!

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #15

Florida
WOW! What great ideas...(with one or two possibly felonious acts and the enlistment of small rodents). It's too bad I didn't run this by y'all before I screwed it up. I'm down to the fiberglass. Now I'm trying to decide on bright white paint or a soft white...

Kai, I can't find my way out of a box. It seems that part of my brain and much more has been earmarked for less useful things. Like perfectionism and creativity. I'm an avid decorator... However, I hope I have enough sense to not do anything that will cause a future owner the grief those **** geese have caused me!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Gorilla Glue is a urethane based adhesive that can be removed with a number of solvents (mineral spirits, MEK, acetone, denatured alcohol, and other products) while wet, but none after it hardens. Physical removal is about all that works after the glue sets. Sanding, grinding, scraping, etc are about all you can do.

Some have used a wire saw to separate items Gorilla glued together, but you need one fine enough to fit between the items without damaging the trailer gel coat.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Gorilla Glue is a urethane based adhesive that can be removed with a number of solvents (mineral spirits, MEK, acetone, denatured alcohol, and other products) while wet, but none after it hardens. Physical removal is about all that works after the glue sets. Sanding, grinding, scraping, etc are about all you can do.

Some have used a wire saw to separate items Gorilla glued together, but you need one fine enough to fit between the items without damaging the trailer gel coat.
<- What he said, although a heat gun MAY work to crack the hardened glue, but will probably destroy whatever you are trying to remove.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
It's good to know it sticke well.
I used a good amount of it to glue my "new" Scapm modifications in place.
Polyurethane sealant/glue as well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #19

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Try WD40 I know it removes tar and sap from painted finishes.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
This Gorilla Glue issue is a good time to suggest to folks to modify, decorate or "glamp" your rig with removable items. I find the following temporary "attachments" to be useful as they will not damage your rig:
  • Cubicle Clips on rat fur walls and ceilings (Staples.com)
  • Upholstery twist pins to screw into rat fur (fabric/sewing store or Amazon.com) No photo here.
  • Drapery hooks on rat fur walls (fabric/sewing store)
  • Velcro (use the hook side) sewn or glued to items keeps lightweight things attached to rat fur (fabric/sewing store. Note: JoAnne's stores sell lengths of "hook and loop tape" for far less than Velcro brand)
  • "Over the cabinet door" hooks & bars (Bed, Bath and Beyond)
  • Command" brand" removeable hooks on smooth interior fiberglass (The Container Store and almost any store) No photo here.
  • "Locking suction cup hooks on smooth interior fiberglass (Amazon.com and hardware stores) https://www.amazon.com/BUDGET-GOOD-P...tion+cup+hooks

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote