Removing old "Paint"? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium 13' 1976
Ontario
Registry
Removing old "Paint"?

Hi everyone,

below is our Trillium 1300. The paint on it is awful and I'm not sure of the best way to get rid of it. I heard you might be able to use a heat gun (very carefully) to remove it, but I want more opinions before we go any further on this part of it. All advice is greatly appreciated!
ArtandLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe this? Marine Paint Stripper Gallon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I read somewhere in this forum that some folks rub off the paint with green pad or purple pad and water. Also read in this forum that there are paint removers suitable for FG.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
I'll give this a try - just looked at some videos and it looks like it works really well. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Ask someone who paints boats and/or Corvettes.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #6

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
How is the gel coat under the paint? I would assume (not always a good idea) that the gel coat was sanded before the trailer was painted. If so, then why not do so again? you would likely be surprised at how effective 220 grit wetsand is. My Boler was painted and I ended up repainting it a different colour but before I was certain that was my route I did sand the paint off (by hand).You could also try acetone (ventilation, gloves, no sparks-be safe) it is relatively friendly to fiberglass and is decent at removing paint too. Just my thoughts though, try a few things in an inconspicuous area first.
good luck.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 AM   #7

Name: Ed
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
My trailer has a hideous layer of poorly adhered paint, and I found a glass scraper works extremely well. The previous owner who prepped the gel coat did a very lazy job with the sander, basically making a couple light swirl marks here and there, but it's really easy to remove the paint. I'd try that first since scrapers are cheap and they will have the least amount of undesirable effect.
skedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:01 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
If you use marine paint remover, you stand a very good chance of damaging the gel-coat and the resin below. There are some special liquid paint removers tthat are designed to be used on fiberglass, but from my experience they are not very good.

I suggest a soft pad with sand paper, that how boats are done.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot B17 1991
British Columbia
I have this same task on hand someday as my Bigfoot was painted at some point and it's not that pretty anymore. I asked this same question and most recommended a Citrus based paint remover,, Or as said if the Gel Coat is already been sanded use a fine grit sandpaper. I was told to not use any strong chemical type strippers as they will melt the gel coat and make things worse. Try it on the roof first as at least no one will see it if you make a mess.

I had to remove the old awning attachment strip and I sanded that part with 220 grit and it seed to work just fine. I will need a lot more time to do the whole trailer but I'm optimistic that the orbital sander will work.

Here's my post

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...7-a-71987.html
SOCK MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #10

Ontario
Registry
It's not paint!

Hi everyone. I've found out it is not paint. It is liquid fiberglass, so no paint remover will take it off. We've been chipping it off with masks and safety glasses on. We've also sanded some off but the whole thing is a long process for sure!
Old 07-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtandLarry View Post
Hi everyone. I've found out it is not paint. It is liquid fiberglass, so no paint remover will take it off. We've been chipping it off with masks and safety glasses on. We've also sanded some off but the whole thing is a long process for sure!
Oh drat, you have my sympathy and that is for sure. But there is a happy ending waiting for you at the conclusion of the show.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
If chipping works, you might try an oscillating saw with a scraper blade. Works fantastic on old floor tile adhesive.........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Fiberglass or just resin like clear coat?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
I was told it was fiberglass, but it could be a resin I suppose. Either way it is going to take a few more hours of work to get it off. We are going to try and just polish it up after that instead of painting it. We'd like it to look like it did when it was "young". :-)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wish you the best, truly.. but I would never look as good as I did 50 years ago

May you find middle ground, where you are happy and not embarrassed to have a ton of fun in an all-molded-towable of "vintage" age
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, vin