Removing paint from the gelcoat? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: Currently shopping
Georgia
Removing paint from the gelcoat?

Hello! I am new to the list and have a question. I am thinking about buying a little Boler that is in rough shape. One of the issues is that someone painted (looks like with s paint brush) the gelcoat. I would like to remove this "paint job" and I'm wondering if it is possible to do without destroying the original gelcoat? If it's possible any suggestions about how? Thank you! ...more questions to follow. :-)
Jill in ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #2

Name: Jill
Trailer: Currently shopping
Georgia
Removing paint from Gelcoat?

Hello! I am new to the list and have a question. I am thinking about buying a little Boler that is in rough shape. One of the issues is that someone painted (looks like with s paint brush) the gelcoat. I would like to remove this "paint job" and I'm wondering if it is possible to do without destroying the original gelcoat? If it's possible any suggestions about how? Thank you! ...more questions to follow. :-)
Jill in ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I removed some old paint from a lower section of our UHaul with some paint thinner on a rag. For a whole trailer, you may want to go a different route since it would take a long time one small section at a time. Perhaps someone else has an idea. There is also a product called RedMaxx Pro at Lowe's that we use as a finish for the gelcoat. They also have a stripper to use as a prep before using the RedMaxx Pro. That could work, but you'll want to test a small section first. The RedMaxx Pro (no. 3) finish would shine the gelcoat right back up if it got a little dull from the paint removal. Is it latex or oil-based paint?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have no personal experience with this product, but I'd think it would be worth a try (or one like it) rather than SANDING. Marine Paint Stripper GL YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Read the thread re "Painting the Exterior". It's fairly comprehensive and contains a lot of information about removing paint as well as repainting.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The same topic is posted here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oat-48328.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #7

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill in ga View Post
The gelcoat is alot thicker than paint and if you are careful you could sand it down with a orbital sander with very fine sand paper..I bought a Trillium that someone had painted grey and this is what I done.. Was working great until I found several places they had patched with bondo and they had smeared it out in a large area so I had to paint the entire camper instead sure didn't want to but had no choice..Once you remove the paint wet sand it with 600 or even 800 grit sand paper then put on 4 coats of RedMax and it will be looking pretty..The old Trilliums I buy if they are really stained bad with rust marks and such I wet sand them down with 800 grit then coat them instead of washing them with BarKeepers..It's alot faster and removes the oxidized outer layer...
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #8

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill in ga View Post

I feel like I've read this already..must be DEJA VU!!!!!!!
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
By the same person. Can one of those Moderator folks maybe put them together? Oh yeah anyway I like sandpaper, you're going to have to refinish anyway.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Can one of those Moderator folks maybe put them together?
Duplicate threads have been merged into one location.

Tags
paint