Removing Rat Fur and putting back? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: In the Market
Iowa
Removing Rat Fur and putting back?

We have a 1991 13’ Scamp and yesterday I noticed a musty smell inside, and a couple stains on the rat fur that looks to reveal a couple possible leaks. We are planning a lot of changes to our camper, so we want to first make sure we are completely free of any leaks and all mold/mildew/mustiness. This is vital for us because I am very sensitive to mold and we have a tiny baby. Is it necessary to remove all rat fur just to check for leaks and mold, or is there a better way? Also, is it possible to remove the rat fur and then glue it back after cleaning behind it? We would keep track of where each piece would go, I just am not sure if the adhesive attaching it now would be too hard to get the fur off walls without destroying the rat fur in the process. And is it necessary to remove rat fur and/or insulation to alter wiring or plumbing lines?
We had hoped not to need to remove the rat fur but I am now thinking this is unavoidable due to the need to get rid of whatever is causing the musty smell.

Thanks for any and all advice as usual! Happy Friday!
SpaceBtwnWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Leaks either come from the plumbing system or they come from the outside in. concentrate on those 2 aspects in the search of the repair. Tearing out the rat fur and replacing it isn't fun or productive. It may help you to find leaks but with allot of work, expense, and time. The most I would do is hire a furniture cleaner to clean and vacuum dry the rat fur or get a Bissel spot cleaner.

Find the leaks and repair them. If you are in a heavy humidity zone then you may also think about a dehumidifier.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
suggestion: Buy a wood moisture meter - it has 2 sharp prongs on one end - you will be able to push it into the rat fir and track the moisture to where it enters the camper.
https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-67143.html
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
One frequent source of leaks is the sliding window frames. The lower track gets full of dirt. the weep holes (slots) on the outside get clogged. Then rain bulbs up in the track and spills over inside. Use a piece of wire to poke into the slots, blow them out with air if you can. Or rinse with water.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #5

Name: Gene
Trailer: 31' Airstream - Downsizing
Louisiana
Camping World service department does leak test. At least the one in my area does.
Gulfbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin