Removing scamp body from frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hello everyone, new to the forum.

Has anyone ever removed a scamp shell from the frame? how hard is it? and what is required?

I picked up a scamp 13' for a whopping 250 dollars!, and well, the price reflects the shape of it. The shell is actuly in good shape, the interior hard peiced are for the most part all there. Even came with some new pieces like front and rear windows, sink and faucet. Who ever owned it before me started to strip it, so none of the interior fiberlass peices are rivited in. So I was guessing that might make the shell easier to remove.

Now a little history on it, My brothers friend in san diego purchased it for the same price he sold it to me for, when I got it home I noticed stenciled in the bumper was "U. S. MARINE COPRS" and "U.S.M.C" on the toung. Also had a "6" painted on the corners. Started to clean a bit on the inside and found a clue, found this paper on the inside

Click image for larger version

Name:	scampsm.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	14554

So it was a rental unit at san onofre beach in san diego. So in other words it's pretty rusty and crusty, I have a feeling I am going to be cutting a lot of fasterners off and replacing them. From what I can gather from the VIN it's a 2001 (although it done look like it!). I think the marines ordered them as stripper models, nothing fancy on the inside, they put puddy in all the water and electrical outlets on the outside. Not much in the way of plumbing or electrical on the inside. I kind of wonder if it has ever been registered or on the street, I think it's lived it's life on the beach.

here is a pic of it
http://members.cox.net/ratvespa/0712081412a.jpg

so back to the question, is the body just bolted to the frame? Also since Im new to the trailer thing, are the exterior outlets pretty universal for rv's (like water fill, ect). would a RV shop have them or should I order through scamp directly?

Thanks for any help.

also, I cant belive how easily these thing tow! I towed it behind my little 4 banger worn out isuzu truck and it towed no problem, I probaly wont even notice it behind my v6 rodeo.

Scott
Scott Corsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Welcome Scott,

Boy you got a deal!

Not sure why you want to do a frame off restoration on a 2001, but the body is held to the frame by screws and bolts. The search engine here (top right) is pretty good, you will find lots of descriptions and pictures using it. Google Scamp "VIN decoder" and you'll find out for sure what you have.

Scamp is supposed to have their online parts up and running by early July, but we've passed that, so I expect any time soon. In the meantime, you can just call them and tell them what you need. I've got an older parls list on PDF if you want. There prices are very reasonable. Yes local RV's may have some parts for you too (e.g. water inlet)

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp