Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Flammable solvents are used all the time with fiberglass work and for other tasks, acetone which is something that gets lots of use (and I use a fair bit) is extremely flammable.
I would definitely advise to use with caution, and ensure that there is no ignition source to cause combustion. Know what you are doing, and how to safely do it.
Just to clarify and amplify my earlier comment about using flammables.
Most solvents used in fiberglass work have a high flash point and quickly evaporate from the working surface when used with a cloth. Add to that, they are usually dispensed from a small container with a cap that is kept closed to prevent evaporation. This makes for a smaller risk, but I did have a graphic artist that worked for me get severe burns on her arm using acetone to wipe down a drafting table, that was set alight with a static spark..
Gasoline, on the other hand, is very slow to evaporate, it's vapors can travel a substantial distance, it can pool on the floor, and is usually dispensed by the user from a larger container, usually one without a safety cap.
The perfect storm appears when the user starts wiping down the fiberglass surface and draws a static spark when lifting a dry rag from the surface.
And speaking of fiberglass, gasoline and fires:
A personal friend of mine once owned a Volvo P-1900, a rare and limited production Volvo convertible of the late 50's of which only about 50 were ever built. Here's a link to them: Fantastic Fiberglass: The ultra-rare Volvo Sport P1900 | Autoweek
He was cleaning the brake backing plates with gasoline and splashed some on the paint work. To clean it off he grabbed a dry towel and rapidly rubbed where the gas had splashed and, when he lifted the towel it burst into flames, caused by a static spark. Even more unfortunately, he dropped the burning towel into the pan of gasoline he was cleaning with and the end result that it burned the fiberglass Volvo P-1900 to the ground.
I really doubt if there is any creditable source that will endorse using gasoline as a cleaning solvent when other alternatives are available.
And, btw, because the O.P. is in CO in the winter, be especially careful to not doing the work in a garage with an exposed flame water heater, another source for the Big Bang.