removing t-gasket seal jalousie window? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
removing t-gasket seal jalousie window?

Has anyone successful removed the t-gasket, or top seal on a Boler jalousie window while still in the trailer? (I just removed and replaced the rivets/butyl without considering the seals, oops. Thought they slide out easily.) And, I do need to order the material before removing it.

The bottom seal slides out just fine, but the top seal is anchored with the top window and stuck to the metal casing. If I crank the window out all the way, it's a bit looser, and maybe use a putty knife to loosen? WD-40? Soapy water? The plastic is brittle and wants to tear away from the metal. I'd like to replace these seals for purely aesthetic reasons, so hoping someone has a tip for removal!

Thanks, Jamie
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
Has anyone successful removed the t-gasket, or top seal on a Boler jalousie window while still in the trailer? (I just removed and replaced the rivets/butyl without considering the seals, oops. Thought they slide out easily.) And, I do need to order the material before removing it.

The bottom seal slides out just fine, but the top seal is anchored with the top window and stuck to the metal casing. If I crank the window out all the way, it's a bit looser, and maybe use a putty knife to loosen? WD-40? Soapy water? The plastic is brittle and wants to tear away from the metal. I'd like to replace these seals for purely aesthetic reasons, so hoping someone has a tip for removal!

Thanks, Jamie
I am in the process of doing mine now but I am doing them out of the trailer...most of these from what I have learned have the channels pinched off so the trim won't slide out...I have seen where people have used a die grinder, screw driver or pliers to open up the pinched ends to let them slide out...as long as you get the pinch area opened it should be doable. FYI though there are other seals around the glass panes themselves you should consider replacing also and where the panels close and meet inside the frame, but being you have it already installed you only option other than leaving them as is would be to remove it again...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Easy to do, just remove the upper windoe pane (2 screws on each side) and you will have lots of room to replace the upper seal.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
This may also help you
Old 04-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Registry
Thank you! I found those two screws yesterday, but didn't pop out the window. Will do that as soon as the replacement seal arrives. You video was helpful too; just had me worried that I'd have to remove the window. Glad I don't have to.

Btw, do you recommend a glue for the ensolite around the inside window under the trim?

Thanks much, Jamie
Old 04-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
Thank you! I found those two screws yesterday, but didn't pop out the window. Will do that as soon as the replacement seal arrives. You video was helpful too; just had me worried that I'd have to remove the window. Glad I don't have to.

Btw, do you recommend a glue for the ensolite around the inside window under the trim?

Thanks much, Jamie
You are welcome Jamie

Best glue for the ensulite is a contact cement, look for a premium product with a large range in the "Service Range" which is the temperatures the glue is designed to work in. 3M Super 90 as well as some others have sevice ranges from -40 to +220 deg, whereas some of the cheaper contact cements range is as low as -20 to 120 deg
Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #7

Registry
Hi Ian, the window will not come out. The screws have been removed but do I need to push in or pull up or what? It does not slide out due to the angle if the frame. thanks, Jamie
Old 05-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
The butyl tape holds things tight, gently but forcefully push the window from the inside (have someone on the outside ready to catch it just in case). work around the window from corner to corner to corner. The tape will stretch and slowly the window will come out.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #9

Registry
No, just the window pane. I'm not removing the entire window again! The pane frame can't slide out due the top angle. Guess I'm hitching it up and taking to the local auto glass shop. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Sorry, misunderstood
Witrh the 4 screws out and the window in the open position the pane should just pull straight out There is some play (wigggle room) with the cast aluminum part that screws to the window, carefully try pulling or prying it away from the frame, there may be some sealant that got behind it during assembly that is holding it.

Tags
vin