Removing the fiberglass shell from the trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2023, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: Lisa & Sarah
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Registry
Removing the fiberglass shell from the trailer

Heyyy Everyone,

The weather in Calgary has warmed up so I am looking into taking the fibreglass shell off the frame. I'd like to start today but I thought I'd get on here before I make any major mistakes...

The problem is that I took out all the wood framing inside because it was rotting pretty bad and because there is a crack in the shell the whole this is warped. So I thought if I ground off the bolts I should be able to just lift it... Turns out it a bit heavier than I thought.

I wanted to move it over with a few friends to the deck so that I could build out the interior framing on a relatively flat surface but I am unsure I can so that now.

The entire shell is a lot flimsier than I thought SO now I don't really know how to go about this.

I will try and jack up just the frame with some wood like in the videos below but then from that point I am unsure of what to do next.... I would still like to move it with some strapping over to the deck...

Will add photos for context in a bit.

Any ideas guys?

I watched some videos here on how to do it and it seems pretty straight foreword except their floors aren't in bad shape and ours has the entire frame taken out.

Lisa_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Mine's a Scamp but here's what I did.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...off-88497.html

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:30 AM   #3

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Lisa,
there is a company just down the road in Red Deer that specializes in Boler and Trillium frames. They are called Metal Arc. They might be able to help. Worth a phone call.

Best of luck.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:54 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Hi Lisa,
there is a company just down the road in Red Deer that specializes in Boler and Trillium frames. They are called Metal Arc.
You had me interested with the Trillium mention, but judging by their web site:
https://metalarcbuilttough.com/

They are mostly Boler oriented.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:09 PM   #5

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
I have talked with them, and they do make trillium frames as well.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:10 PM   #6

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
This is another project I'd like to do this year or next on my 78 Trillium. The axle needs to be replaced and I figure might as well have the frame checked, reinforced as necessary, cleaned and coated with whatever is deemed the best (i.e. paint, powder coat, linex, creosote or chrome).

I believe I've read that you can have it replaced with an aluminum frame at Outback. I still need to investigate the pros and cons of that.

Good luck with your project. Are you able to access where the shell is with a crane truck? Perhaps they could put it in a sling and lift it onto your deck.

Scott
2morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:37 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: 1966 Buco Industries
Alberta
If you want to just move the fiberglass shell and it is flimsy, you may have to install some temporary bracing inside of the shell. Build a frame from some 2x4 or 2x2 fairly tight to the outside edges of the floor and the roof, then cross brace with more wood in an X pattern from side to side a couple of feet from each end and from the center to the ends. A bit of extra work, but it should be enough bracing to carefully lift it from the frame, maybe slip some 4x4 posts under and move to a flat area to reframe the interior. If you use screws for the bracing, the wood you use for bracing can be reused for your framing.
Unfortunately it is the interior cabinets that give trailers their structural strength. Even stripped the fiberglass shell probably still weighs 300-400 llbs.
If you have friends like mine, when you are ready to move the shell, call them up and offer them pizza and beer for about 10 minutes work. You should have no trouble getting enough help to lift and move the shell!
pault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:10 PM   #8

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
If you want to just move the fiberglass shell and it is flimsy, you may have to install some temporary bracing inside of the shell. Build a frame from some 2x4 or 2x2 fairly tight to the outside edges of the floor and the roof, then cross brace with more wood in an X pattern from side to side a couple of feet from each end and from the center to the ends. A bit of extra work, but it should be enough bracing to carefully lift it from the frame, maybe slip some 4x4 posts under and move to a flat area to reframe the interior. If you use screws for the bracing, the wood you use for bracing can be reused for your framing.
Unfortunately it is the interior cabinets that give trailers their structural strength. Even stripped the fiberglass shell probably still weighs 300-400 llbs.
If you have friends like mine, when you are ready to move the shell, call them up and offer them pizza and beer for about 10 minutes work. You should have no trouble getting enough help to lift and move the shell!

Okay, forget the crane idea, Paul's got a great idea
2morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin