Repaired tree branch hole. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Repaired tree branch hole.

Hello everyone, hope y'all having a great day.

I found a narrow track trailer with a fiberglass roof that's been repaired by a "professional".. A tree branch fell through.

What I don't like are the screws used to hold the patch up which hopefully was installed to contain a epoxy or polyester resin repair.. Owner said he didn't see screws from the outside though.. One of the steel roof truss's broke and was welded as well.

I guess I better wait for pictures taken from above the trailer.. But am I correct when I say, I doubt whoever repaired the hole was a fiberglass professional? And could it be re-repaired where I could be confident it would never leak, good as new?

Bitter sweet because this is the type of trailer Ive been looking for.. Exactly

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
00a0a_334aiNDUbya_1200x900.jpg  
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Fiberglass work isn't that difficult and there's some great threads on here about how to do it. I don't like the screws so I'd get rid of the patch and fiberglass it from the inside. To get the shape right, tape some waxed paper and cardboard on the outside. Touch it up with a little body putty and paint and it will last as long as the trailer.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If it is exactly what you want at an attractive price, just plan on redoing the shoddy repair.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I personally wouldn't let that stop me from buying a trailer I wanted. My old Boler had a car sunroof installed in the ceiling. I removed it glassed in the large hole then cut a small hole for a regular roof vent. Only took a couple afternoons.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
I personally wouldn't let that stop me from buying a trailer I wanted. My old Boler had a car sunroof installed in the ceiling. I removed it glassed in the large hole then cut a small hole for a regular roof vent. Only took a couple afternoons.
Maybe I should have done this but what I did in the same situation with my Casita is I installed one of those bubble RV sunroof windows over the car sunroof. I already had a roof vent more toward the rear of the camper.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
To help understand how the repair may have been done starting at post 187 in the link show how I used screws in that build. And yes, the repair on that trailer is probably water proof and can certainly be made so if not.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-55601-8.html
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Thanks everyone. Trailer sold before I got there..
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote