Replace Maxx Fan with Air Conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
Replace Maxx Fan with Air Conditioner

Does anyone know if the area where the Maxx fan is installed at the rear of the roof will support an air conditioner?

Circumstances dictate that my only choice at this time is to have the A/C installed where the Maxx fan is.

I'm having trouble finding a conclusive answer to that.

2018 Scamp Standard 16. Roof was prepped for A/C.

Thanks for any info. I'll also continue searching the forums for an answer.
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you're not finding anything here (using the "Site Search/Google" option for best results) that could mean it hasn't been done. I've never heard of it, though that is certainly not conclusive.

Only the center was prepped for A/C. Being closer to the curve at the back of the shell is good for structural support, but vibrations might crack the thin shell without the reinforcement. Other issues might include the angle of the roof and weight distribution.

My gut tells me it's not a good idea, but you could call Scamp and see what they say.

Does the A/C prep include running a 110V wire? If so, seems like it would be easier to mount it where it belongs than at the back.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #3

Illinois
Thanks Jon. Everything I'm finding says the reinforcement stops at the fan opening. My Scamp is at a shop where they're going to swap the fan out. I'll call them when they open and stop them. Then I'll call Scamp to confirm things.

My problem is that I can't install it myself and three shops have said they won't cut a new opening. I think they don't want the liability.

I know where it should go and pretty much how to do it; I just don't have the skills or tools to do it.

After confirming with Scamp an A/C can't go where the fan is, I'm going to try to convince this shop to do it. We've already confirmed the wire is there. It goes almost to the bulkhead by the bathroom so that should make it obvious where it goes.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Replace Maxx Fan with Air Conditioner

Have the shop talk directly to Scamp about the correct location for the A/C.

I do recall a post or two about leaks resulting from the way the A/C unit was attached at the factory. That might be worth a search to find out what the issue was and how it was corrected. Installing roof air on a thin shell is a little different than a conventional RV roof.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It must be a "liability" issue because they wont cut the hole. It's only about 12" square.

BUT, here's one thing to keep in mind. BE CAREFUL getting on the roof of the Scamp- especially after the A/C is sitting up there! I think the A/C's weigh about 100 lbs.

My Coleman had a KNOWN "fan" issue. The "squirrel-cage" fan was dropping on the shaft hitting the housing. I had to make a "platform" and suspend it from my carport to climb on to work on it. I wasnt ABOUT to take it to a Camping World or any other RV dealer to work on it.

But Dave at Scamp had cautioned me about climbing on top of my Scamp without internal support and I had that as well (2x4 with a I shape to sit on the floor AND support the roof in case my weight had to be transferred while working on the unit). It all worked out well and I got it repaired..but what a hassle!

So just be careful WHO you choose to install it. Most of the RV places are use to climbing on top of the trailers!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #6

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
North Dakota
A/C in Scamp

Hi, I have a Scamp 16 and found a great place in install a small house window a/c that is very cheap, and easy to install. At the front of my camper are the bunk beds. Below the bottom bunk in the center are three storage compartments. The center compartment has a door opening to the inside of the camper. I cut out the center of the door and placed a metal grid in the opening for air flow. I then installed the a/c behind the door into the storage compartment. I cut two round six inch holes into the floor at the hot end of the a/c. One hole is the hot air discharge, and the other has a fan to pull air in from the outside. I also had to construct a sealed barrier between the cold side of the a/c and the hot side of the a/c at the back. It works great and cost less than $100.00 for everything. If you are interested I can send you a schematic of the installation...…….Ken
kennechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #7

Illinois
Thanks everyone for all the help. I appreciate the input from everyone.

I'm going to move up an already planned Minnesota-Michigan area trip and have Scamp do the install. The service department said they would install a Coleman that I already purchased elsewhere (everyone says it's a great bunch of people at Scamp and I believe it. They could have easily turned down a job where they don't furnish the parts.)

Jon - I called Scamp this morning and confirmed that I should NOT install an A/C where the vent fan is. There is no reinforcement there l. Scamp installs in the center of the trailer.

In addition, user holderfield here on Fiberglass RV has a nice video from 2016 where about half way through he has a clear shot of the reinforcement. It shows that it stops before the fan area.

Darral - agreed on Camping World. It was clear the service manager in Wentzville Mo. didn't want to work on it...and he never called me back as he said he would. I hope I don't have that squirrel cage issue with this Coleman. But thanks for the heads up. I'll research it so I can be prepared if something happens.

Ken - I appreciate the offer and would like to see your schematic for my own knowledge purposes. I have layout 6 with the front bath but your plan might be adaptable to a side or rear install. I looked at many posts and ideas here but couldn't
come up with a plan that fit my needs. Also, I'm OK with typical fixit projects but this seemed out of my skill level and I didn't want to trash part of a brand new trailer. Anyway I'm committed now with having Scamp do the install (especially since I now own a brand new Coleman Mach 8 Plus Cub ultra low profile. )
Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #8

My Coleman is over 9 yrs old and I'm SURE they've "fixed" the problem since.

I like your style! Looks/sounds like you got yer "ducks" in a row here. You're paying attention to "details" and THOSE are the ones that can screw ya up if you're not careful.

Here's a link to some photos I took of my Coleman fix including the platform I made to aid me in getting to it. You can also see the fan, problem AND fix! Feel free to download any of the photos if Coleman needs a subtle reminder of the snafu they were aware of! LOVE the unit, but this is one problem in design that should have NEVER happened and they should have been willing to fix!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5035168...57669497300691

[QUOTE=DLDK;740602]Thanks everyone for all the help. I appreciate the input from everyone.

Darral - agreed on Camping World. It was clear the service manager in Wentzville Mo. didn't want to work on it...and he never called me back as he said he would. I hope I don't have that squirrel cage issue with this Coleman. But thanks for the heads up. I'll research it so I can be prepared if something happens.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #9

Illinois
Thanks Darral. I saved the pics and info for future reference. Good solution.

It's also good to know yours has been running at least nine years. Besides good general reviews, I've had others tell me about Coleman quality so here's hoping it has a long life.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #10

I'd rather have it than the noisy "Dometics"! This problem I had was simply a "design" problem. Honestly, they had a end shaft retainer on TOP of the motor and the fan couldnt slide upwards and NO retainer on the bottom of the shaft where it COULD slide downwards. I feel like it was designed upside down! They'd never admit it. Other than that, I love the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLDK View Post
Thanks Darral. I saved the pics and info for future reference. Good solution.

It's also good to know yours has been running at least nine years. Besides good general reviews, I've had others tell me about Coleman quality so here's hoping it has a long life.