Replace RM2410 fridge with RM8501 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2023, 03:22 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Replace RM2410 fridge with RM8501

Has anyone replaced the Dometic RM2410 with RM8501 in a Scamp?

I am considering doing this replacement myself and so I am trying to figure out how much of a challenge it might be. I was told by the Scamp parts department that they replace the 2410 with 8501 and since it is narrower, extra trim has to be used.

Is it possible to remove the old one without taking it apart? What other problems may come up?
Thanks in advance.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:59 AM   #2

Colorado
As a follow up to the above, I discovered yesterday that the Dometic RM8501 is no longer made. Some dealers say that a few could still be available and could be found.

The replacement for the 8501 is RM2354 and that is what Scamp would do, but there are more questions, because it is a little bit wider, according to Dometic specifications. I posed a follow-up question to the Scamp parts/service department and hope they tell me on Monday if and how this could be done.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Hi, Paul, I know that this does not answer your direct question but I have removed my Dometic dual power absorption fridge (LP and AC) because of a leak in the coils. Generally this is pretty straight-forward operation, removing and capping the LP line, unplugging it from the AC, and then removing a few screws from the molding inside the scamp. It is then just a matter of wiggling it free and there are a number of good videos on YouTube about how to do this.

However, although I am not entirely sure about the size of the space you want to put your new fridge in or the kind of camping that you usually do, I actually replaced my fridge with an ICECO JP 40 12V high efficiency cooler. I just boxed in the old fridge space with some painted plywood, and installed a 12V plug, and slider for the cooler. The cooler runs off of the Scamp battery (as well as AC if using it when you have access to power) and the Renogy solar panel suitcase I have keeps the battery, cooler, and other DC accessories working great for multiple days off grid. Here is a link to the ICECO model that we have and there are many others to choose from: https://icecofreezer.com/products/ic...ortable-fridge

This has a couple of benefits for us. First, we mostly dry-camp with no access to electric service and the cooler is much more reliable (and MUCH colder) than the Dometic when we used this off grid running on LP. In fact, I would NOT put meat in the Dometic when temps outside were any higher than the 80's because the fridge was just not cold enough for safe storage. The ICECO was a steady 34 degrees for the week that we spent in Cape Cod this month.

Second, we can pull the cooler out of the Scamp when we need it for transporting other cold goods (or frozen foods from the grocery store).

And there is a third....the ICECO cost us under 600 dollars which was much less than the over 1500.00 price tag of the Dometic absorption fridge we would need to buy to replace the old fridge.

This does require a bit more work to run electric and box in the space, but it really worked for us and I am really happy with our more convenient and less expensive alternative to the Dometic.

I can send pics if needed.

Good luck on figuring out your fridge!

Bill
Bill L in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:36 PM   #4

Colorado
Hi Bill, thanks for your great information. I decided to follow the path that Scamp people take when the replacement is needed. On 6/13 I ordered the one they use, the Dometic RM2354 and the expected delivery was 1 to 2 weeks. I got the news today from the local Camping World that it did show up yesterday, but the package was damaged, so it will be two weeks at best, although the sales guy said he would ask for expedited delivery. The installation instructions from Dometic say the enclosure should be insulated on the sides and top and bottom. There was none of that in my Scamp. The back side ventilation was the way it should be. So, I have had plenty of time to do the prep, get rid of the old fridge, clean things up, but I would also like to have this project out of my hair.

I have the impression that nobody who is active in this group has been crazy enough to do anything like this. When I am done, I'll post about it here.

Paul
Old 06-23-2023, 04:48 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L in PA View Post
....I actually replaced my fridge with an ICECO JP 40 12V high efficiency cooler. I just boxed in the old fridge space with some painted plywood, and installed a 12V plug, and slider for the cooler. The cooler runs off of the Scamp battery (as well as AC if using it when you have access to power) and the Renogy solar panel suitcase I have keeps the battery, cooler, and other DC accessories working great for multiple days off grid. Here is a link to the ICECO model that we have and there are many others to choose from: https://icecofreezer.com/products/ic...ortable-fridge

I can send pics if needed.

Good luck on figuring out your fridge!

Bill
Bill, please do send pics. My Dometic just went out. I purchased one of those DC / compressor ice boxes about a year ago to put in my truck and I absolutely love it. I might consider this as an option to replace the Dometic. These boxes now come with dual zone fridge / freezer and I could use that.

I need to know how you mounted the slides. I would not want to screw into the sides of one of these chests as they tend to put the coolant in the sides.

Great idea though. How did you mount your slides to the box, and into the space in the RV?
Old 06-23-2023, 06:37 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Hi, John,

I'll take some pics for you today and post to this thread. However, in the meantime, I am sending a link to the YouTube video that gave me the idea for replacing the fridge with a cooler. Here's the link:

Bill
Old 06-23-2023, 06:42 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Hi, Paul,

Good luck with your project! Although I haven't found any Scamp specific ones, there are some videos out there on YouTube that show people replacing old Dometics with new ones that have slightly different dimensions.

Happy camping!

Bill
Old 06-23-2023, 06:54 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Hi, John,

I'll take some pics for you today and post to this thread. ...

Bill

Bill, thanks for the link. Obviously his situation was a much larger Fridge. I am looking on Amazon at various and sundry of these fridges. What size did you settle on and how was the fit?
Old 06-23-2023, 07:09 AM   #9

North Carolina
Interesting YouTube video on fridge /battery test

This guy hooks up a BougeRV DC compressor chest style fridge (no idea quarts) to a 100AH LiFePO4.

And check out this... I love LiFePO4

Old 06-26-2023, 08:18 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Hi, John,

I got a chance to get out to the Scamp this morning and take some pictures of the boxed in former fridge space with the installed ICECO and locking slider mechanism (highly recommended), and a few views of the cooler sitting in the space. I ran a cigarette lighter type 12v plug to power it from the Scamp battery. However, like one of the other members posted, you can avoid all that trouble by just running it off a portable LifePo (or other) battery/charging station which can be charged at home and then topped off daily by solar.

I got the ICECO JP 40 which is 43 quarts and the model that fit our former Dometic space the best. I would have preferred the VL 45, 47.6 qt model for the extra room and the cool-looking all- metal exterior. However, that would have stuck out of the space too far to comfortably move around it, and it would be difficult to open given the position of the lid. Even with this smaller model, the ICECO JP40 sticks out of the space an inch or two, which I can live with given the convenience. I still have some trim work to do in order to make things a little neater, but you'll get the idea. Also, ICECO makes a 20qt and 32 qt model if you have a smaller space than mine.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4907.jpg   IMG_4909.jpg  

IMG_4910.jpg   IMG_4911.jpg  

Old 06-26-2023, 08:45 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
Hi, John,
I forgot to answer one of your questions about how I mounted this. I replaced the old beat-up plywood that the Dometic sat on with a new piece of 3/4 inch plywood. I then bolted the slider to that new piece of thick plywood. It makes for a really solid mount.

Bill
Old 06-26-2023, 04:43 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Hi, John,
I forgot to answer one of your questions about how I mounted this. I replaced the old beat-up plywood that the Dometic sat on with a new piece of 3/4 inch plywood. I then bolted the slider to that new piece of thick plywood. It makes for a really solid mount.

Bill

Nice install!
Old 08-06-2023, 07:41 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Hi Bill, thanks for your great information. I decided to follow the path that Scamp people take when the replacement is needed. On 6/13 I ordered the one they use, the Dometic RM2354 and the expected delivery was 1 to 2 weeks. I got the news today from the local Camping World that it did show up yesterday, but the package was damaged, so it will be two weeks at best, although the sales guy said he would ask for expedited delivery. The installation instructions from Dometic say the enclosure should be insulated on the sides and top and bottom. There was none of that in my Scamp. The back side ventilation was the way it should be. So, I have had plenty of time to do the prep, get rid of the old fridge, clean things up, but I would also like to have this project out of my hair. ...
Here are the pictures of the finished project. The fridge comes without the door shield, but a $25 sheet of Lexan from Home Depot and an old poster are good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
20230803_154618.jpg   20230801_074451.jpg  

Old 08-06-2023, 07:45 PM   #14

Colorado
Here they are, right side up.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2023, 07:01 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Looks Great!

Hi Paul, Thanks for sending the pics of the finished install. It looks great and the clear Lexan is a nice addition....plus you can change out the poster if you get tired of the mountain view.

Bill
Old 08-08-2023, 07:19 AM   #16

Colorado
The freezer should be as cold as the top of the Matterhorn, I hope.

Tags
fridge