replace water pipes to bathroom sink and shower in my Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
replace water pipes to bathroom sink and shower in my Casita

I have a leak in one of the pipes that snake its way around the front of my Casita Freedom Deluxe. If I get the old pipe out will I be able to push new Pex pipe threw the chase-way that goes around the base of shower?
Any Other ways to fix it? Maybe run the pipes on outside, under trailer?
What have others done?
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Can you attach the new PEX to the end of the old pipe and pull it through as the old one slides out? Be sure you attach it securely.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:40 AM   #3

yea John, that's the plan, but just hoping that the pipe is not secured anywhere behind the shower. Heading to the store to buy some Pex fittings and will couple it right to the original pipe with the clamps and commence pulling.
Thanks... if this doesn't work, pipes will go under the trailer, I guess.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Unless the PEX got punctured by a screw or something like that, it is very unlikely that the actual pipe is leaking, PEX can even tolerate freezing pretty well. So its likely a fitting
or connection that is leaking and that might make it harder to replace if the fitting is where you cannot get to it. Also more likely it is secured. But I dont know how Casita builds the campers.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
There are "pipe straps" back behind the bathroom enclosure, which are basically Zip-ties, which hold the pipe in place along the wall. There are no pipe connections hidden back behind the bathroom compartment, so it is unlikely that the PEX is leaking. There's really nothing back there that would cause a problem. If you are really determined to replace that section, as to pulling the new PEX line in by coupling it to the old PEX, it may be problematic. While the old PEX can be worked out of that hidden space, adding PEX clamps to a double butt connector may cause it to hang up on something back there. Don't forget that your wiring bundle also occupies that area, so you want to be careful about not damaging any wiring or connectors. After pulling the old PEX out, I'd recommend using an electrician's snake to pull in the new pipe. It will be easier to start the new PEX pipe in from the side of the trailer under the side dinette table, and pull it in to the front from inside the front closet.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #6

Thanks for all the advice and yes there are pipe strapes behind the shower walls not allowing the connection with the pex crimp clamps ... maybe the ring type would work.
The camper had poly-butyl pipe and I did replace it with Pex.
I had to pull the P B pipe out first and then I tried snaking my new Pex in from under dinette but had no luck there so I had already taken out the AC unit under the front cupboard so I pushed it in from that end.
The hardest part of the job was getting the crip tool in to make the connections.
Inspection of old pipe, I couldn't see any defect but with new pipe in, it holds pressure.
Now the job to replace the 3/4 plywood on floor where it was soaked all the way to the kitchen sink.
Thanks for all the hints as to how to fix and I hope this will help others.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #7

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
new shower water lines

1994 Liberty Casita
Put new pex in but had to run in front of shower pan on the floor(made metal enclosure on floor around front of bathroom) and up through(cupboard) side of sink shower side on the outside. Cannot pull old pipe from around bathroom as it is attached!!
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita