Replace weatherstripping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am a newbie to taking care of a Scamp so I do appreciate this forum. I need to replace the weatherstrip around the door. The old peels off but I need to remove the old glue or what is left under the weatherstripping. What should I use to remove this?

Thank you
Jane
Jane K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
Jane, You can use any of the products that remove adhesives(goo be gone) stuff or sometimes acetone works if your careful but reguardless of what remover you use it really only makes the glue soft an you'll need to scrap it with a razerblade scraper,it's still a little work.
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Jane, You can use any of the products that remove adhesives(goo be gone) stuff or sometimes acetone works if your careful but reguardless of what remover you use it really only makes the glue soft an you'll need to scrap it with a razerblade scraper,it's still a little work.

Jane: As mentioned, acetone is excellent. BUT, do not allow any acetone to touch plastic. It will deform plastic! This can be purchased at a paint or hardware store, i.e. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Also, NAPA Auto Parts sells a liquid adhesive remover in a can. Works great. Another alternative is cigarette lighter fluid. Wal-Mart still sells it at their cigarette counter.
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I used a whole bottle of acetone around the door of my Scamp to get the gunk off.... it came from the Dollar Store and is called "Lemon-scented Fingernail Polish Remover." hey it worked and it's what I had. I then had to use some 409 to clean up the "oily" residue, but the new weatherstripping is sticking just fine!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul CT13
Look for a product called Bestine. It is sold at craft and and some hobby stores. It is used to cut and clean rubber cement. I use it at work often and havent found a surface that is damages. As always, test in an inconspicuous area first. I trust it over all other goof off, goo gone and the like cleaners!!

caleb
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

I used goof off worked really well.
Philmay1 is offline   Reply With Quote