replacement canopy is too long - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #1

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
replacement canopy is too long

Hello, Forgive me if this topic has been covered. Our Escape 17B is in the shop to have repairs done including canopy replacement for the Carefree Fiesta awning. It's a 10 ft awning with an extension of 8 ft. Our repair guy says the original had an extension of only 6 ft. He's offering to take it to somewhere local and have it (a brand new, perfectly good vinyl canopy!) cut to the proper length. So question is has our guy received the wrong item? Or did Escape in the original build cut the canopy to fit their specs? Hard for me to believe that! Does anyone have experience in replacing their canopy and run into something similar? Thanks!
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail H View Post
Hello, Forgive me if this topic has been covered. Our Escape 17B is in the shop to have repairs done including canopy replacement for the Carefree Fiesta awning. It's a 10 ft awning with an extension of 8 ft. Our repair guy says the original had an extension of only 6 ft. He's offering to take it to somewhere local and have it (a brand new, perfectly good vinyl canopy!) cut to the proper length. So question is has our guy received the wrong item? Or did Escape in the original build cut the canopy to fit their specs? Hard for me to believe that! Does anyone have experience in replacing their canopy and run into something similar? Thanks!
I would suggest you also post your question on the Escape forum
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Our Escape 17B is in the shop to have repairs done including canopy replacement for the Carefree Fiesta awning. It's a 10 ft awning with an extension of 8 ft. Our repair guy says the original had an extension of only 6 ft.

This makes no sense to me.

You do not have to open the awning all the way for it to work as intended. If I'm expecting wind, I'll reef it in so there is less area exposed to the wind. So, any remaining fabric will be on the roller.
I can't measure mine at the moment ( maybe tomorrow, if the sun comes out ), but I'm sure it's more than six feet when extended.
Perhaps your repair guy needs to read up on operation of the awning.
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...ner-Manual.pdf
Old 12-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

North Carolina
Registry
In the meantime, I got a reply from Dustin of ETI saying that they order a 10 by 6 awning from Carefree. They never alter the canopy in any manner. Also Mike from Carefree of Colorado says that they don't have a Fiesta awning in a 10 x 6. Both ETI and Carefree told me that cutting the canopy is not a good solution. My guess is that having a canopy with 2 extra feet of fabric on the tube would not allow the arms to rest tightly up against the fiberglass.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
In the meantime, I got a reply from Dustin of ETI saying that they order a 10 by 6 awning from Carefree. They never alter the canopy in any manner. Also Mike from Carefree of Colorado says that they don't have a Fiesta awning in a 10 x 6. Both ETI and Carefree told me that cutting the canopy is not a good solution. My guess is that having a canopy with 2 extra feet of fabric on the tube would not allow the arms to rest tightly up against the fiberglass.
Hi I would definitely post on the Escape forum . There are many with 17 b and can help you with the size . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We use the slot in the roller for the sun screen. The cord needs to have something to slide into. Also the screen rooms utilize the slot. We are usually either all the way out or rolled up. We always tilt the awning if it looks like rain. If we are leaving the campground or going to be any distance from the trailer, we put the awning away. It only takes a couple minutes.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'd just go for the 8. 4 or so more rolls around the awning aren't going to change the outside diameter so much the arms will be an issue storing for travel. Maybe stick out another 1/8th inch or so? I use velcro straps to lock mine down while in transit.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd just go for the 8. 4 or so more rolls around the awning aren't going to change the outside diameter so much the arms will be an issue storing for travel. Maybe stick out another 1/8th inch or so? I use velcro straps to lock mine down while in transit.

And, so what if the awning arms have to be angled further to accommodate the extra length? I often slope my awning on purpose, to block sun or shed rain. Only issue I can see is if it is angled too much, the door rubs on the fabric when you open or close it.
I've never done it, but others release the bottom of the arms from the trailer and stand them straight up, staking them and running guy ropes.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen room.jpg  
Old 12-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, so what if the awning arms have to be angled further to accommodate the extra length? I often slope my awning on purpose, to block sun or shed rain. Only issue I can see is if it is angled too much, the door rubs on the fabric when you open or close it.
I've never done it, but others release the bottom of the arms from the trailer and stand them straight up, staking them and running guy ropes.

the limiting factor is the upper/horizontal arms, they only extend so far, and you can't take the awning out any farther. if you can't fully unroll the awning, you can't use the mounting slot for things like decorative lights or a screen room, or a sun shade.

and, um, with the bent lower arms on the classic escapes, I found there was no point in removing the legs from the lower clamps and staking them down, they just didn't work well that way. with straight arms, thats another story.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the limiting factor is the upper/horizontal arms, they only extend so far,

Guess you can tell I haven't had the trailer out since Sept. 2019.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #11

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Gail,
We have a 2015 Escape 17, with the manual Carefree Awning. I just went out and measured, and it is 10 ft. wide, arm center to arm center, by 6 ft.2in. from trailer to the roller, when fully unfurled.
As Iowa Dave and my up coast neighbor John mentioned, if you have the correct length awning, the slot at the fully-extended roller is available for other purposes. And, the arms are the limiting factor on extension. That extra 2 ft. of length of extension will be rolled up on the end of the roller forever.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #12

North Carolina
Registry
Thanks for all responses. Here's what happened. By providing Carefree the serial numbers on the arms, but more importantly, on the tube/drum, they were able to find the exact canopy replacement. It measures 9'2" with an extension of 6'6". We ordered it directly from Carefree and hopefully it fits perfectly like the original. Happy holidays to all FGRV friends!