Replacement Cushion Covers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Unhappy

Hello everyone this is my first post so bare with me.We bought my first 13 ft Boler in Sept the cushion covers are getting a little tried actually a couple of them are really beat. So I need advice on recovering,Have spoke to Scamp and they have a complete set (7)for less then $275 for covers only. Going to need foam too but thought would buy it locally.Is this the way to go or should we go a different avenue?Thoughts anyone? Bailey Boler
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Bailey,

Welcome to fiberglass rv ownership! We've found the people on this forum willing to answer any questions.

Make sure your cushion measurements match Scamp's. If not, see if they will custom size some covers for you and the cost. Upholstery fabric can get expensive and $275 is a reasonable price. Ask Scamp to send fabric samples to choose from.

When you install the covers on the foam, wrap the foam in some thin plastic (dry cleaning bags, etc.) which will make the job easier.

Good luck.
Nita

Quote:
Hello everyone this is my first post so bare with me.We bought my first 13 ft Boler in Sept the cushion covers are getting a little tried actually a couple of them are really beat. So I need advice on recovering,Have spoke to Scamp and they have a complete set (7)for less then $275 for covers only. Going to need foam too but thought would buy it locally.Is this the way to go or should we go a different avenue?Thoughts anyone? Bailey Boler
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Welcome!

We made new cushions from scratch for our old Compact Junior. Let me tell you that the labor involved in making the covers is very significant; Scamp's price sounds very good to me.

I also think you have a good idea in getting the foam locally. You should try Laying on several samples before you buy; just as if you were buying a bed for your home!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
I just got the cushions on the dinette area recovered two weeks ago. I did it the old fashioned way--bought vinyl fabric and set up my 50-year-old Singer sewing machine and let my mother do it! She loves a challenge and she's an excellent seamstress. She's also 83 so she took a lot of coffee breaks but hey, she's worth it! (We enjoyed her visit and did not make her work all the time.) Thanks Mom!
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #5

Thanks to all that replyed,any and all input was appreciated.I have many more questions to come. Like lino or laminate on the floors.Should I paint the fiberglass cabinets or ????
Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hi Bailey, congrats on finding your new Boler!

Are you sure that you'll be switching back and forth between having a dinette to a bed? If you decide to keep that area as a permanent bed, you may just want to buy a full-size foam mattress that you cut to fit with an electric knife (and keep in one piece). The only cushion covers you'd need would be for the gaucho bed in front.

After many attempts to make our Casita's bed comfortable (with a memory foam pad over the old cushions, futons, thermorest pads) we finally bought a 6" foam/memory foam mattress online from Walmart. It was on clearance for $120, and is incredibly comfortable. I wish we had gone this route years ago!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1970 Boler
For less than $275? BUY THEM

Mine cost me almost $200 just for fabric....sewing them all is difficult.

Had I knew that I would have bought new.

- Kurt
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Hi Bailey,
Are you in Vancouver BC or OR?
I ask, because there's an excellent store in Springfield OR to get fabric and foam. Econo Sales. I mention this because they not only helped me measure for fabric, they helped me lay out the pattern on the fabric and suggested other additions like zippers (I was going to do velcro, the zippers are MUCH better, and told me exactly which order to stitch what. They have good quality foam too, the polyester stuff to go round the cushions under the fabric and the glue etc. Well worth the trip (for OR anyway)
I didn't find them difficult at all to make, it's all straight seams, but I am an experieced sewer. I sprayed them all with Scotch Guard when done. I made the pattern, by the way, by just tracing around the old ones and adjusting for seam allowance.
Good Luck!
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #9

Exclamation

Hello Christine
I'am your northern neighbour Vancouver B.C.I was going to try doing the covers myself but have little or no sewing ability.So just this morning I bit the bullet and ordered from Scamp,Justin was excellant to deal with, originally he emailed me sample photos so I had four to chose from. I certainly enjoy shopping in Oregon,and do hope to get down to Portland soon.Thanks to all that responded. Its this forum and the members that makes it always so helpful
Old 12-12-2006, 05:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Hi Bailey - I also have a 13' Boler and was wondering about the Scamp covers - please let me know how they fit when you get them - that is a great price! Cheers, Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Hi Bailey - I also have a 13' Boler and was wondering about the Scamp covers - please let me know how they fit when you get them - that is a great price! Cheers, Alec
Hello Al
Just recieved my cushion covers from Scamp,They fit perfect accept for the banana cushion it had to be trimed with the electric knife which worked great.But the rest was a custom fit.The price including $15 shipping was $280 for a complete set . I don't think you could buy the material and sew them for much less.Putting the covers on the foam was a bit of a challenge even using plastic as a slip but it's done now. Have a look .
I'am sure I'll be a happy camper when summer comes. Bailey Boler
Attached Thumbnails
Cushion_Covers.jpg  
Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 AM   #12

Great News! Thanks so much for the response - those look great! All the best, Alec
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hello Al
Just recieved my cushion covers from Scamp,They fit perfect accept for the banana cushion it had to be trimed with the electric knife which worked great.But the rest was a custom fit.The price including $15 shipping was $280 for a complete set . I don't think you could buy the material and sew them for much less.Putting the covers on the foam was a bit of a challenge even using plastic as a slip but it's done now. Have a look .
I'am sure I'll be a happy camper when summer comes. Bailey Boler
Hi: Now you got me really I was all set to buy/cut new foams and find material to cover them... but I haven't seen any colours I like till now Thanks Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. How did they ship them to you???
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi: Now you got me really I was all set to buy/cut new foams and find material to cover them... but I haven't seen any colours I like till now Thanks Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. How did they ship them to you???
Hello Alf
Justin at Scamp emailed me pictures of 4 fabric samples which I can forward to you if you like. They shipped UPS ground . In case you want to get a quote the package weighed 12 lbs.
Also I might add you can order with or without foam and the covers were good quality made locally and not imported. Bailey
Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Hello Alf
Justin at Scamp emailed me pictures of 4 fabric samples which I can forward to you if you like. They shipped UPS ground . In case you want to get a quote the package weighed 12 lbs.
Also I might add you can order with or without foam and the covers were good quality made locally and not imported. Bailey
Hi: Please...pretty please email me when you can!!! I have ordered from Scamp previously and they usually send the parcels U.S. Post as it doesn't involve brokerage fees Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie ( astacey0506@rogers.com )
Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bailey, I'm sending you a PM with an e-mail address you can send the picture to....I can post them, if you can't. I'm certain others on the forums would like to see the color/patterns available. Just trying to save you from sending out bunches of e-mails
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I would be very interested in seeing the patterns available. My wife was none to happy learning we could have bought new covers cheaper then we made them.

- Kurt
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #18

Quote:
I would be very interested in seeing the patterns available. My wife was none to happy learning we could have bought new covers cheaper then we made them.

- Kurt
Kurt
I've emailed the pics to Donna D for her to post the 4 samples,if you need them sent to you direct let me know and provide a email address.They are large files and I'am not sure how to reduce them to meet forum regulations.I did it once but had to email myself first to reduce the size.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Kurt
I've emailed the pics to Donna D for her to post the 4 samples,if you need them sent to you direct let me know and provide a email address.They are large files and I'am not sure how to reduce them to meet forum regulations.I did it once but had to email myself first to reduce the size.
Hi: WOW!!! Thanks for the e mail samples WOW!!! My wife will be over the top... knowing she won't have to cut and paste cushion covers... even though she is a great *seamstress* as a big part of that word is *stress* I think I am inclined towards the Alpine sample Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #20

Please post the samples - thanks! Alec