replacement vent for scamp 13 ft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2003, 07:06 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
replacement vent for scamp 13 ft

I need to replace the vent cover on my 1981 scamp. I believe the vent measures 15 x 22 inches. The standard size seems to be 14 x 14. I have done several searches and not found what I am looking for? Anybody else had this problem?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #2

Andy,
That's a mighty big vent. I wonder if you searched for "escape hatch" , you might find something.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:52 PM   #3

The whole assembly does hinge and is held my a latch. I will search under escape hatch.

Old 06-26-2003, 07:22 AM   #4

escape hatch

'emergency exit' might be another search term?!

One way to tell the differrence in a 'vent' and an 'escape hatch' is if you can easily remove the screen and completely open the hatch/window, it's an 'escape' thing. :)

Old 06-26-2003, 07:42 AM   #5

Hi, Andy! I wrote this message once and lost it, so hopefully it will make it through after the re-write. I am in the process of replacing the escape hatch on my '87 Scamp. The rough cutout is 14 1/2 X 22, and Scamp does not make vent assemblies to fit this anymore. They also could not refer me. So I did some online research and now know that the 13 X 20 Elixir Exit Vent is the best fit I can find, although the whole thing is plastic. And I'll need to trim the garnish, of course. They do make and sell (through retailers only) the plastic lid. Also, Statewide Aluminum has a website that indicates they also sell exit vents for the 13 X 20 size - and might have a metal lid - but they do not sell to the public either. Web addresses for both these place: elixirind.com and statewidealum.com. Sorry, I am not cyberspatially sophisticated enough to make them links!

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2003, 08:20 AM   #6

Here ya go, Beverly. All they need is the ''http://www.'' on the front of them and the software will automatically turn them into links:

http://www.elixirind.com and http://www.statewidealum.com

Old 06-26-2003, 11:04 AM   #7

13 X 20 Elixir Exit Vent :omy
How does any body exit a 13 inch vent. I might be able to save my right toe. :wak

Old 06-26-2003, 11:18 AM   #8

There are only a copule of small cracks in this one. I may use some epoxy to repair it, if finding a vent is so difficult.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:32 AM   #9

Escape Hatch

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

13 X 20 Elixir Exit Vent :omy
How does any body exit a 13 inch vent. I might be able to save my right toe. :wak
Let's see... In an emergency I could probably flip our 13' Scamp on it's side and at least let the dog out!':r'':o'

Dina (& Jim)

Old 06-26-2003, 03:02 PM   #10

You might check with Ray on the U-haul site. He's in the center of RV graveyards in Indiana. Maybe he can find you one.

Old 06-26-2003, 03:24 PM   #11

Excellent suggestion! After my RV place looked in Arlington, TX and in Georgia, they ended up getting the Elixir vent assembly in Elkhart, Indiana. So maybe they have just the lids there too. Probably not a bad idea to secure a new one (or two!) if these are indeed going to get harder and harder to find.

By the way, if in an emergency I find I am too big to fit through the exit vent, I can always use the crack at the bottom of the none-too-tight door. :) --(I put smiley in for you)

Old 06-26-2003, 07:15 PM   #12

I live about an hour and a half from Elkart. Maybe I will take a field trip over there.

Old 06-27-2003, 10:20 AM   #13

Andy, if you go and find any good resources for these older Scamps like ours, please let me know. I'll be heading near Elkhart in August.

(Thanks for the smiley in my previous message, Chester. I actually did it myself in another message. This is getting fun! :banana

Old 06-27-2003, 09:48 PM   #14

I stopped by the local RV store and the owner determined that it was an Elixir. I ordered a 15x22 vent cap from Elixir . Hopefully, it is the right one. I should know by Thurday. Here is a link to an Elixir 15x22 vent I found on the web.

Dyers Online link for Exit Vent.

Here is the cover link.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:20 AM   #15

Andy, I hope that works for you. I took my entire vent assembly in hand to my RV place seeking size advice, and they all scratched their heads and measured and then told me I needed the 15 X 22. I was uneasy when I left because this was to be a special order, i.e., I would be stuck with it even if it didn't fit. So I called Elixir when I got home and gave them the dimensions of the roof cutout (as I had the RV place too), and Elixir recommended the 13 X 20. But this was for the whole assembly, so maybe the lid size is different. Gosh, who knew it was going to be this complicated?!
Anyway, we installed the assembly last night. All is well, except for that darn interior garnish which is just a tad too small to cover the old holes. I had heard this might be a problem - um, I mean challenge.

Old 07-03-2003, 07:16 PM   #16

So, Andy, did you get it? Did it fit?

Old 07-03-2003, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Orginally posted by Beverly D

Andy, I hope that works for you. I took my entire vent assembly in hand to my RV place seeking size advice, and they all scratched their heads and measured and then told me I needed the 15 X 22. I was uneasy when I left because this was to be a special order, i.e., I would be stuck with it even if it didn't fit. So I called Elixir when I got home and gave them the dimensions of the roof cutout (as I had the RV place too), and Elixir recommended the 13 X 20. But this was for the whole assembly, so maybe the lid size is different. Gosh, who knew it was going to be this complicated?!
Anyway, we installed the assembly last night. All is well, except for that darn interior garnish which is just a tad too small to cover the old holes. I had heard this might be a problem - um, I mean challenge.
Hi
Use a nice wood frame and add some class.;)

Old 07-05-2003, 09:09 AM   #18

Ches, I thought GLASS is class, not wood :laugh

Thanks for the suggestion - I've got an acceptable fix for the vent now but may want to consider wood for the AC trim. Meant to tell you that my husband started sweatin' and sputterin' and fumin' when I mentioned something about going at the seams with a palm sander. Do you think this was a vote of no confidence? In me, that is, not you - We've seen some of the photos of your work. WOW!

Old 07-05-2003, 03:35 PM   #19

Maybe he is afraid you will make him do it, Beverly. :)

Instead of wood what about that foam plank that looks like wood. I'm think about using that.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #20

:laugh I'm laughing because I just arrived home about an hour ago from looking at the foam plank and everything else that would trim out the AC. I hate trimming. It drives me crazy. I cannot visualize. No spatial skills whatsoever. I drag stuff home and it's the wrong shape, not to mention color, or material or whatEVER! :bh So thanks for the laugh - it's better than pulling out hair. If you do yours first, let me know what works, okay?

Tags
scamp