Replacing 5th Wheel Front Landing Gear - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19'
Virginia
Replacing 5th Wheel Front Landing Gear

Yesterday I did a really dumb thing, and forgot to crank the front landing gear legs all of the way on my 2000 19' Scamp 5th Wheel. Needless to say, they caught on the curb of a driveway, and bent the tubes, along with both landing gear legs. I put a call in to Scamp, and they can ship me the replacement for both legs and the gear box, handle, etc. The rub is: I'm planning on leaving for a trip in about 10 days.

With that in mind, I found this on e-trailer, with faster shipping: https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack.../LC333966.html

It seems like it may fit, but I'm a little leery that the legs won't be long enough or the cross shaft won't fit the width. Have you of you had experience replacing tandem front landing gears before? It looks simple enough to replace with the new legs, once I jack up the trailer and unbolt the bent legs. Any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The specs on etrailer give the length dimensions of the adjustable cross shaft. I've done this replacement many times but it was on big freight trailers. I didn't really read the whole etrailer ad but the specs should be there for how far the legs will extend and retract. I would be more concerned that they retract enough.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettrae View Post
Have you of you had experience replacing tandem front landing gears before?
This may be a dumb answer as I don't tow a 5th-wheel style trailer, but I've seen them set on tripod stabilizers and it looks like Amazon has several that they would deliver quickly. Would one of those work in a pinch?

https://www.amazon.com/fifth-wheel-t...pod+stabilizer

The Ultra-Fab says they would have one here on Wednesday the 9th, but the delivery time for you will depend on your location and where they have their inventory located. We are in an urban area on the Interstate, so there's a ridiculous amount of things that they will deliver here in just a day or two.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #4

New York
[QUOTE=Civilguy;800202]This may be a dumb answer as I don't tow a 5th-wheel style trailer, but I've seen them set on tripod stabilizers and it looks like Amazon has several that they would deliver quickly. Would one of those work in a pinch?

To get that stabilizer under the trailer kingpin (which a Scamp does not have an actual kingpin) you have to crank down the landing gear legs and unhook from the truck. Since OP's legs are bent he can't do that. Those stabilizers are mainly for big 5th wheel campers that have a big overhang or are heavy in the front.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
To get that stabilizer under the trailer kingpin (which a Scamp does not have an actual kingpin) you have to crank down the landing gear legs and unhook from the truck. Since OP's legs are bent he can't do that.
Thanks! It looks like I did an excellent job of coming up with a dumb idea!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #6

Virginia
I called and the landing gear we were looking at extend from 41" to 71"...I measured the space between our landing gear currently, however, and it's 38", so it seems like the cross shaft will be too big. Unfortunately, nothing else I've seen goes narrower than 41".

Our Scamp has been lifted 4", so I think that they would retract far enough.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Thanks! It looks like I did an excellent job of coming up with a dumb idea!
Hey, it's all about throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks! Every idea is worth a mention, and I appreciate you for taking the time to do so!
Old 12-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #8

New York
I'm pretty sure the cross shaft could be shortened. Looks like it is made so that one piece slides in the other so you could cut it down. As for Mike's idea, I wouldn't call it dumb, it was a legitimate idea but just won't work in this situation. But my thinking is, throw out as many ideas or solutions as can be thought of, then pick the best one and go with it and hope it works.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #9

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
A 2000 Scamp 19 will have Atwood landing gears. Lippard bought out Atwood furnaces I expect they also are selling the Atwood landing gear under the Lippard label. Check with Scamp to see what they are using now and if Lippard get the part number. It looks like they are still using the same motor now. As far as the cross shaft goes just use your old shaft if the Lippard LG is the same as the Atwood. The cross shaft is connected with small shear pins or bolts. Make sure you carry extra shaft pins. I had one fall out or shear deep in the NF and could not raise one gear. It took a while to find something small enough to replace the pin with, good thing there were other campers nearby.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #10

Virginia
I called Scamp this morning, and it seems that they no longer use third party landing gears, although he acknowledged that they used Atwood in the past (as Eddie pointed out). They do them custom, now. They aren't listed for sale on their website, but they will be able to sell me the replacement parts. I'm hoping it will be a simple matter of just bolting the new ones on the existing welded stops and continuing on my merry way, but Murphy's law tells me to pump the brakes Anyways, I'm about to bite the bullet and pay for 2 day shipping so that I can get these replaced before our western road trip next week...nothing like a big repair before a big trip! Cheers!
Old 12-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
Have them general delivery to where you will be.
Might save some shipping cost.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote