Replacing a vent with a vent fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
Replacing a vent with a vent fan

My 1994 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho trailer has a Fantastic Fan in the main part of the trailer but just a vent in the bathroom. My friend's 2007 Casita has a powered vent in the bathroom but just a vent in the main part of the trailer. We would each like to install a powered fan in the location that doesn't already have one.

Any info as to the following will be much appreciated -

How likely is it that a 1994 Bigfoot would have power run to the bathroom where a non-powered vent was installed?

How likely is it that a 2007 Casita would have power run in the roof of the main living space to the location of a non-powered vent?

In the event that there is no power at either or both of these locations, is it feasible to take 12-v power from a light and run it on the surface to the location of new fan?

Does anyone have enough experience with a Vortex II Upgrade Kit Multi-Speed Fan to be able to offer a recommendation? It is a unit that installs in the existing vent space so that it is not necessary to do any work on the roof (ie. remove existing caulk, install new frame and fan, and reseal and recaulk)

As always, thanks very much to all those who respond.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Hi Bobby,
I have a '93 Bigfoot 19, and I've been researching ways to install a 12 volt fan in my existing marine bath ceiling vent. I know nothing about a Casita. But I can tell you that there is no electrical wiring in the ceiling vent of the Bigfoot. That area was not wired until the 2000s.

Where is your 12 volt ceiling fan located? Is it in the front or rear section of the trailer? Do you also have an AC Unit?

Do you have a center bath layout? If so, you can get power to your bath area since it is so close to the front power source. If you have a rear bath configuation, I have no solution at this time.

One thing you may want to consider is installing a computer fan in that area and plugging it into the 12 volt bathroom light. I have been advised that it is not a good idea to use the bathroom wiring for a 12 volt ceiling fan.

I hava absolutly no knowledge re a Vortax II Upgrade Kit.

I will be speaking with my trailer guy next month regarding this particular issue. If I learn anything new, I'll pass it on to you.

Good luck
Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #3

Oregon
Thanks for such a thoughtful and complete response.

My 12-v ceiling fan is located in the center of the living space and could, conceivably be a source of 12-v power in the bathroom but the wiring would all have to be exposed

I have a rear bath configuration.

Did whoever advised you against using bathroom light wiring for a ceiling fan tell you why? I'm not suggesting that the info is inaccurate but, rather, trying to understand the logic and learn from it.

I will let you know if I learn anything more that might be helpful.

Here's another question -- I haven't even used my trailer yet letalone the bathroom so I don't know what problems may or may not be caused by the absence of a fan What led you to want to install a fan there? For me, it was the fact that previous rigs I have owned had one and they seemed to be a useful feature.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
On my 2002 17' CB Bigfoot I snaked the wire from the adjacent light over the front bed through the ceiling to the bathroom vent and installed a powered vent. It went pretty smoothly.

Walt
Old 10-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #5

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post
Thanks for such a thoughtful and complete response.

My 12-v ceiling fan is located in the center of the living space and could, conceivably be a source of 12-v power in the bathroom but the wiring would all have to be exposed

I have a rear bath configuration.

Did whoever advised you against using bathroom light wiring for a ceiling fan tell you why? I'm not suggesting that the info is inaccurate but, rather, trying to understand the logic and learn from it.
It's all a matter of wire size and amperage. Determine the size of wire going to your bath light. Add up the amperage draw of the bath light and the fan you want to use (and any other loads on that circuit). Look at a wire table for the allowable amps for the wire size. You should also determine the fuse size for the wire run and make sure it's adequate for the additional load. Length of a wire run will also affect it's current carrying capacity. It's not that difficult to figure out but you need to look at all the variables.
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #6

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1989 BIGFOOT 17' - FOR SALE
British Columbia
Registry
If I might ask: BOBBLANGLEY... are you wanting to replace the 9" vent with a standard 14" vent?
I have a similar Bigfoot ('89) but want to stay with the smaller vent...

Does anyone have a lead on a powered 9 inch vent ?
BMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

Oregon
If I might ask: BOBBLANGLEY... are you wanting to replace the 9" vent with a standard 14" vent?

My 1994 Bigfoot has a standard 14" vent with no fan.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Yep, mine was a 14" also.

Regarding wire size and amperage, I suspect you've already upgraded your lights to LEDs, but if not, that could permit use of smaller gauge (larger gauge number) wires and make it easier to run in the ceiling.

Walt
Old 10-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post
My 1994 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho trailer has a Fantastic Fan in the main part of the trailer but just a vent in the bathroom. My friend's 2007 Casita has a powered vent in the bathroom but just a vent in the main part of the trailer. We would each like to install a powered fan in the location that doesn't already have one.

Any info as to the following will be much appreciated -

How likely is it that a 1994 Bigfoot would have power run to the bathroom where a non-powered vent was installed?

How likely is it that a 2007 Casita would have power run in the roof of the main living space to the location of a non-powered vent?

In the event that there is no power at either or both of these locations, is it feasible to take 12-v power from a light and run it on the surface to the location of new fan?

Does anyone have enough experience with a Vortex II Upgrade Kit Multi-Speed Fan to be able to offer a recommendation? It is a unit that installs in the existing vent space so that it is not necessary to do any work on the roof (ie. remove existing caulk, install new frame and fan, and reseal and recaulk)

As always, thanks very much to all those who respond.
:just take the old vent out and drop in the new one but first make sure you put new caulking down before dropping into place then re-install it, yes if no power available then take from a light.
Such a simple procedure and sometimes even better than a AC unit, enjoy.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote