Replacing backrest - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
I know this has been discussed before (I may have even started it) but I can't seem to recall the options. Due to the cramped space of sleeping on the couch, I already removed the hinged backrest. I'm getting quotes for new upholstery and unsure hot to address the back.

My thought is that we simply have three large pillows made and use them If so, can I hack of the support that is just below the window? Or, is there a better way?

I could have him reupholster the original back but never attach it. Come night fall, I can then just throw it in the front of the truck......ah, I should just buy a 17 footer -ha!

Dan
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Dan, I believe that I had the same situation with my uhaul. I didn't need the upper bunk (which is what the backrest folded up into). The backrest made the couch incredibly, uncomfortably narrow to sit on! I removed the bunk/backrest, then also removed the fiberglass support piece by undoing the screws around the perimeter of it, and also partway around the window above it. I had to pry and gently work the fiberglass free around the edges with a putty knife. I now have a flat wall! The couch/ bed gained approximately 5" in depth. It only needs some cosmetic work to hide the unfinished fiberglass. I'll try to attach a couple of photos. The first shows the fiberglass support that I removed, and the second shows how much space I've gained. (The shallower of the two cushions use to be the actual seat cushion!) What use to be the bunk/back cushion can be used as the seat cushion. (I removed the plywood insert that was in it ) Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4476.JPG   IMG_4481.JPG  

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Quote:
I know this has been discussed before (I may have even started it) but I can't seem to recall the options. Due to the cramped space of sleeping on the couch, I already removed the hinged backrest. I'm getting quotes for new upholstery and unsure hot to address the back.

My thought is that we simply have three large pillows made and use them If so, can I hack of the support that is just below the window? Or, is there a better way?

I could have him reupholster the original back but never attach it. Come night fall, I can then just throw it in the front of the truck......ah, I should just buy a 17 footer -ha!

Dan
Hi Dan, Here's an idea. We also took the upper bunk out of our Lil Bigfoot and replaced it with 5 Euro shams that Dee bought at Freddies. She the sewed up the cases for them. We like our new couch a lot. Keith
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
humm, I don't know how the Boler goucho support is fastened to the outside wall, but on my Scamp it's totally fiberglass in. I think the only way to remove it would be to hack saw the thing off. Something to consider too is this a "forever" trailer for you, or something you'll sell and replace a few years from now? If you remove the support, will you effectively be changing the trailer from a four-person sleeping arrangement to something less? Would it effect the selling price? Or, narrow the number of people who may be interested in the trailer? Is that important to you? There again, it's your trailer, do what you want and make it comfortable for YOU. Would it be possible to make the support less conspicous or usable in a different way...like maybe a shelf support for a radio, lamp or TV??

I'm babbling, it's late. But these may be things you wish to consider. My 2cents.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Hi Dan, Here's an idea. We also took the upper bunk out of our Lil Bigfoot and replaced it with 5 Euro shams that Dee bought at Freddies. She the sewed up the cases for them. We like our new couch a lot. Keith

cute, cute , cute.....
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Keith and Dee, very nice. Much better than what I did. I made shams and fill them with extra blankets. When we need more or less on us out or in they go. But they are larger and not nearly as attractive as yours. Problem is finding a place to put these things while one sleeps on that bottom front bench. BTW, I love my 3 inch memory foam on top of the old back cushion. Could probably have done with 2 inch but I like the 3. I also like the symmetry of the 3 bottom cushions and the back cushions on Keith and Dee's. That looks so very sharp.

Nancy from MN
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #7

Thanks Sharon and Nancy, Dee and I decided that we would do what we did in our sailboat. I used 3/8's plywood cut out to the shape of the front bunk
cut into 3 cushions then we bought some foam and batting and upholstry material- stapled in on. See picture two. Also we used a modified version of Ken James idea for the porta-potte by cutting a flip up door so we wouldn't have to pull the potte out at night. Picture one. After a cross country trip this past fall we found this arrangement worked very well for us. Keith
Old 03-08-2006, 11:44 PM   #8

Two other pictures to show the front area. We added a shelf to hold our microwave. Also Dee and I don't care for propane so we pulled it out and now have a totally electric Bigfoot. New 30 AMP breaker box with three circuits. We installed a 6 gal sailboat 110 water heater, a 110 refridgerator, a
2 burner electric hot plate. we also use a Geo Foreman grill. and a 110 ceramic heater. We only stay where we can hook up to water and electric. City mice you know! We also carry a Origo Heat Pal for back up. This a marine alcohol combo hot plate-heater. Keith
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Old 03-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
When we got new cushions made for our 13' Boler we also had a new upper bunk cushion made and just keep it stored under a bed at home..... although we may never use it.....We left the cushion mount on the Boler in case we or someone else wanted to use the cushion at some future time....our replacement backrests are pretty sparse....two toss cushions and a rolled up quilt....larger toss cushions would be better as a backrest but would be in the way for sleeping....this way they, along with a pillow are used for sleeping.... if interested you can see them on our webshots site.....I suppose a quilt with more stuffing would also have made a better back support although we don`t sit around in our trailer too much except to eat.... we`re either outside or laying down relaxing....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
Keith - Your bottom cushions are exactly what I was planning on doing for our front sofa. I was thinking about doing all one piece like a bench but now I think I am going to do it as two separate cushions. That way it is easier to get into the storage space. Thanks for the photos!
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I made one large cushion and after seeing Keith and Dee's I'm going to redo it. Access to under the bunk will be so much easier.

Two cushions would not work well for me as I sleep on the front bed. I would not like to have the split between the two cushions under my rear. Also I think when one sits on the front one is likely to sit in the middle? We have a sofa bed with two cushions and I don't like two cushion sofas. The split is just in the wrong place.

Three cushions may just make getting under that bunk easier than two larger ones. Of course the amount of fabric needed might be less with two cushions. Looking at proportions the three cushions appear more artistic/easier on the eye to me.

nancy from mn
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote