Replacing Boler cushions with Scamp cushions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1971
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new here and have not searched all the forums. I have just purchased a 1971 Boler in really good shape. It has some of the usual problems for a trailer of this vintage but can hopefully work through most of them. My question is, I would like to replace the cushions and one option would be to order a new set from Scamp. Since they are some what expensive, and I'm not sure they will fit, I was wondering if any one here knows if this idea will work? Thanks in advance.
Jerry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Alf did! Click these topics for his answers (ignore some of the topic titles, it's what you want to know and these will take you right to his replies!):
Replacement Cushion Covers
New scamps, trimline awning
New Scamp cushions in a Boler
Old schmushed 13' Boler cushions
Boler cushion covers wanted

By the way, we're glad you're here!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Nice looking rig. Do you use the table as a table? If so, then look for a brand that has about the same size, and price their cushions. Or you could go to a boat dealer or find a local place that could custom make them.

If you leave it down for sleeping and use a front dinette, you could get a one piece foam mattress...

Personally, I would look at the mechanics first. How is your axle? tires? Have you placed it on a lift and really LOOKED at the frame? New cushions won't help if you break down.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #4

Thanks Donna D. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Roger, I have been working on the mechanics for a couple of days now. Packed the bearings, the tires are new 500 miles ago. I have been crawling around under it and have not seen any cracking in the frame or any rotting in the floor. I thinks it's good to go.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
What a pretty looking Boler. Looks like your starting with a clean slate. Raised tail lights, and are those Baby Moons original?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Jerry Knowlton... Here is a pic. of our former Boler 13'er dinette with the Alpine colour Scamp upholstery. My wife made the curtains and I got new rods to fit the old holders.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
scampcovers_in_Boler.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #7

Registry
Hi: Again... Here's another pic. of the sofa/bunk with Scamp upholstery and original fine art rockshield painting by Alf. I did this as part of recovery after surgery, besides the inside of the rock shield was plain old fiberglass. Fine art painting is great rehab!!!
Attached Thumbnails
rockshieldartbyAlf.jpg  
Old 06-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Trillium also sells a complete set of cushions for front dinette model for (gulp) $750:

http://www.trilliumrv.com/Parts/PartsList.htm

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #9

Alf S, Thanks for the picks. They look good in there. In the long run that may be the simplest and quickest way to go. I have previous dealt with the people from Scamp. I owned a Scamp 13' in the past. They have always been very helpful.

jame kent, Thanks for the kind words. The baby moons are not original. The previous owner ordered them after he replaced the tires. He did not take the time to clean up and repaint the rims while the tires where off. So soon, I will be having the tires removed then cleaning and repainting the rims.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #10

Registry
Hi: Jerry... When my wife, who is an excellent seamstress, found out we could purchase ready made covers from Scamp and install them with slight additions/alterations it was a "NO Brainer". She said "Buy them". Total cost with S/H+ Canadian tx's& Mod to bunk was under $350. Money well spent IMHO.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Exclamation

Awwww Alf S quite hogging the spotlight,excuse me but who was the one that ordered the covers first.hahahahaha We both are Boler Bailers went onto bigger fiberglass rigs. Hope you and yours has a fantastic summer camping as well as all on the forum.
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Awwww Alf S quite hogging the spotlight,excuse me but who was the one that ordered the covers first.hahahahaha We both are Boler Bailers went onto bigger fiberglass rigs. Hope you and yours has a fantastic summer camping as well as all on the forum.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new here and have not searched all the forums. I have just purchased a 1971 Boler in really good shape. It has some of the usual problems for a trailer of this vintage but can hopefully work through most of them. My question is, I would like to replace the cushions and one option would be to order a new set from Scamp. Since they are some what expensive, and I'm not sure they will fit, I was wondering if any one here knows if this idea will work? Thanks in advance.
Just thought I would show off a little handy work. I wish I could take credit for it, but the praise goes to my sister. Who is a very accomplished seamstress. It took about a day and half to complete the new covers, but I could not be happier with them. Of course, that doesn't include the few nights I spent ripping out all the seams of the old cushions. I was able to re-use all the foam cushions as well as all the zippers. But the old '70's orange is gone and the newer matching greens are it. Washed all the old cushions in a kiddie pool by doing the grape stomp. A tip I picked up here. Thanks. I had hoped on saving all the vinyl, but so much of it had too much mold/mildew on it, I opted for new. The cool part about removing all the vinyl bottoms was that it gave us full size patterns for the top and bottom of all the cushions. Worked great. I still have the patterns all numbered and labeled if someone could benefit from them, let me know. If you pay the shipping, I'll send them too you. Maybe we could just keep them going to anyone who would like to recover their cushions. It was a lot of work. But the money I saved was incredible. Total cost $75. Got the material (7 yrds) on sale at 60% off or $4.80/yrd. The vinyl (4 yrds) was $7/yrs. And 4 spools of thread. As long as you can reuse the foam and the zippers, it is rather inexpensive to recover the cushions. Plus the color choice is endless. Anyway, this was a major step towards the completion of my project. Next up, curtains. Which will seem insignificant when compared to the cushions.

Tags
boler, scamp