Replacing Boler interior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft / Ford Explorer
Registry
Replacing Boler interior

We are looking for something to replace the plastic foam lining in the original Bolers. I still want something easy to clean but, we will be replacing the whole interior. It has mildewed and pulled away from the fiberglass in many spots so it has to go for out refurb. I need ideas on materials and adhesives to adhere it to the fiberglass.
Cheryl Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ah yes, yet another "I want to replace the Ensolite thread".

Most will tell you not to. It is a big job that many regret trying. But all is not lost, with a bit of work even the worst can be made to come out looking great. Here are some before and after photo's of mine. Yes, that is the original Ensolite still intact and mold free.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post174856
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Libby View Post
There are missing pieces in out Boler. Is there a supplier that carries the same lining?
Nothing exact, www.trilliumrv.com did have something but I'm not sure of Tom's status or stock at the moment.

Other than that every now and then someone strips theirs and might be able to salvage some of theirs. It is a keep you eye out kind of thing.

How much and where are you missing it? Pictures help.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Well, I'll post my usual response before all of the nay-sayers jump all over you. It can be done. I was told not to strip my interior and I did and I would do it again in a heart beat. Here is the caveat though, I had carpet on my walls originally - I know, I know, Bolers don't come with carpeted walls but mine is special in may ways. I pulled the old carpet out as carefully as possible and used the pieces as a template (I rolled out the new carpet in my living room, traced them with a sharpie marker and cut them out with shears). I then scraped all the adhesive off the walls and ceiling with a wide flat chisel. It was early April and outdoors in Ontario so the glue wasn't soft thankfully. I used an outdoor/indoor carpet glue that I bought from my local flooring store (Honestly I think it was just construction adhesive in a jar - PL3000?). I used a serrated trowel and applied the new carpet. It wasn't headliner - there was no foam backing. I had bought reflectix but I didn't use it (too many layers made me leery).
Interestingly, I bought the carpet off of Paul Neumiester who is THE Boler guy in these parts. It is the same carpet he used when he re-carpeted his 16ft Boler. If Paul did it, and I did it, than for sure other people can do it too.
Beware, it is no small task, there are lots of little fussy places in a Boler but if you are committed and handy then I say go for it.
I would give you my old carpet for templates if you wanted it but I don't know where you are at.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
It can be done. I was told not to strip my interior and I did and I would do it again in a heart beat. Here is the caveat though, I had carpet on my walls originally...

If Paul did it, and I did it, than for sure other people can do it too.

Beware, it is no small task, there are lots of little fussy places in a Boler but if you are committed and handy then I say go for it.
You know Jay, I would probably say the same thing
IF
Someone had already replaced the Ensolite with carpet before.

The problem is most newbies assume replacing the Ensolite will be as simple as changing wallpaper. Over the years, I've seen a few trailers ruined by people attempting the task. But I do agree with your warning.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Our ensolite wasn't mildewy, but I can offer you a potential solution aside from tearing it out. I would wash it down with a bleach water mixture, use a spray adhesive and reattach it wherever it needed it, prime it with Kilz interior/exterior primer, and finish with an interior exterior paint. You might be surprised at how incredible it looks when you are finished. If you need to patch in places, we have "extra" inside the closets and sink cabinets, and I would cut a piece from there. Just another option
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Roy,
I just took some time tonight to read through your original thread and I can say confidently, if anyone can attest to the value of keeping and cleaning Ensolite, it's you. I wouldn't have believed that the interior of your trailer could have looked so different before and after!
I know there are many valid reasons to keep the original covering. I don't disagree either with the observation that many people find the process to be more than they bargained for. You are right too in noting that I swapped carpet for carpet.
The reason I respond with support when I read these threads is because I was so disheartened when I started my reno and asked about replacing the carpet. All I received were negative responses (don't do it) and no advice about how to proceed in changing the carpeting.
I am okay with being the one voice of support. I always caution that anyone embarking on a reno needs to know their own abilities.
Caveat Emptor
Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
I am okay with being the one voice of support. I always caution that anyone embarking on a reno needs to know their own abilities.
Caveat Emptor
Thanks Jay,
I agree it can be done. I like the word "reno" because that is the way I think that is the way some newcomers think. In a house reno, you pull out the cabinets and pull down the drywall before you start getting into rebuilding.

I'm suggesting that train of thought is not wise for all when it comes to our trailers. Some should do the research before starting.

Here are a couple of threads about removing ensolite:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ved-58235.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...val-28876.html

Rober Johans has a good post on putting the pieces back together in this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cks-44565.html
Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Mine was already stripped out when I got it. The insides were covered with glue.. removing it down to a clean interior is the hard part. I tried every combination of scraper, grinder, wheel, etc. And after much work I got it off.
I then used ayr-foil insulation (much like reflectix) covered with a short nap heavy fabric.
I used 3m90 spray adhesive - I started with 3m77 and it fell off - to attach everything. Sides and ceiling are pretty straightforward. The corners are the tricky part. After much trial and error, I found an interior pic of a scamp trailer to use as a guide and it went smoothly after that.
All in with glue, insulation and carpet it cost me about $275. You'll need about 25m of carpet. It's more labour intensive than technically difficult.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Well, I'll post my usual response before all of the nay-sayers jump all over you. It can be done. I was told not to strip my interior and I did and I would do it again in a heart beat. Here is the caveat though, I had carpet on my walls originally - I know, I know, Bolers don't come with carpeted walls but mine is special in may ways.

Jay

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1463572554.154137.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	95300
The bolers manufactured in the '80s, at Midhurst, came with the carpet type of interior covering. We've enjoyed it for many years as it gives excellent insulation. Never had a problem with mildew and cleans up well with just a shop vac.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Attachment 95300
The bolers manufactured in the '80s, at Midhurst, came with the carpet type of interior covering. We've enjoyed it for many years as it gives excellent insulation. Never had a problem with mildew and cleans up well with just a shop vac.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
James, thanks for that little piece of info, I didn't understand why my Boler had carpet (I had been told that Bolers always had Ensolite). But mine is an end of the production 80s made in Midhurst. I quite like having a carpeted interior, it's cozy and warm feeling.
Jay
Old 05-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
While on this topic, can anyone recommend a supplier for Ensolite? I'd like to replace the Ensolite in the storage benches which came unglued after 40 years. It was also extremely moldy and dirty. My method for spring cleaning is to fill a spray bottle with a little bleach and water, spray it everywhere, and leave it for a day. The Ensolite becomes sparkling white. I also take towel or cloth and rub down.

I'd also be curious to know how others are faring with condensation and ensolite. It does not seem to insulate well at all. Every winter I get mold spots even with a heater on and the windows slightly open (for air circulation). I place 7 damp rid containers in every corner, and empty each month. But still a puddle accumulates in the lowest spot of the trailer. And yes, all the window seals and rivets have been replaced above this area.

Suggestions are most appreciated. Jamie
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler