Replacing Boler Roof Vent - looking for recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

Name: Maraysha
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Replacing Boler Roof Vent - looking for recommendations

Hi there!

I'm brand new to the forum and just purchased a 1973 Boler 1300 a few months ago. I'm eager to get working on her and am going to start with the roof vent. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out what brand/model to go with as there are a lot of options out there.

I've watched a few videos about the install itself, but I'm hoping to hear from those who've done a Boler specific upgrade to include a good quality (and hopefully fairly quiet) fan. The brands I've seen talked about the most seem to be Fan-Tastic, Maxxair, Ventline and Dometic but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices when it comes to choosing a model etc.

Has anyone on here done a similar upgrade? What make/model did you go with? I've heard that the replacement roof vent needs to be lightweight to avoid causing a structural problem, not too tall in order to keep it from protruding and a few inches bigger if it's not the perfect fit but are there any other considerations to take into account? Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

Cheers!
Maraysha in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Although I haven't had a chance to do the permanent installation yet, I bought and tested this computer fan using my existing vent:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Super quiet and extremely low power draw. The only drawback is I can't use the vent when it's raining but the Jalousy windows make that moot.

Eventually I will have a thermostat and variable speed switch hooked up to it in a light plywood frame permanently mounted and wired. I will definitely post pictures once I start on it.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #3

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
A previous owner installed a Fantastic Fan in the Boler we now own. It works great.
This model has a moisture sensor which closes it when it senses rain. I added a toggle switch to by pass the sensor because the morning dew was enough to prevent us from using it. I plan to put a speed controller into it as well.
All that said, I can't help with my experience since I didn't do the installation, but happy to advise where I can...
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 5.jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Maraysha.. The first thing to deal with is power. wiring needs to be run to the vent opening. A power source that is always hot ? Mine to my fantastic fan is always hot. I have a remote, the fan has 6 speeds outward and inward.
I have a new inverter power source.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Ontario
Registry
Replacing Boler Roof Vent

I have replaced mine with no trouble. After removing the old one I cleaned every part, surface and bought the proper sealing tape to use in the new installation. Instead of rivets, I used stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Easy to install the new one and works great with no leaks.
Steve Stresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Although I haven't had a chance to do the permanent installation yet, I bought and tested this computer fan using my existing vent:

Super quiet and extremely low power draw. The only drawback is I can't use the vent when it's raining but the Jalousy windows make that moot.

Eventually I will have a thermostat and variable speed switch hooked up to it in a light plywood frame permanently mounted and wired. I will definitely post pictures once I start on it.
Thanks Alex! This looks like a great DIY option I will look into it further
Old 12-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
A previous owner installed a Fantastic Fan in the Boler we now own. It works great.
This model has a moisture sensor which closes it when it senses rain. I added a toggle switch to by pass the sensor because the morning dew was enough to prevent us from using it. I plan to put a speed controller into it as well.
All that said, I can't help with my experience since I didn't do the installation, but happy to advise where I can...
Wow - that sounds like an awesome unit! A moisture sensor sounds like a great feature to have as I'm in the Pacific North West and we get a fair amount of rain for a good part of the year. Do you happen to know the dimensions and the model number? Also what kind of Boler do you have?
Old 12-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
Maraysha.. The first thing to deal with is power. wiring needs to be run to the vent opening. A power source that is always hot ? Mine to my fantastic fan is always hot. I have a remote, the fan has 6 speeds outward and inward.
I have a new inverter power source.

Later Kenny
Very good point Kenny - I am restoring my Boler with a friend and she is the power guru (her father is an electrician) so we will sort that out together. A very important consideration indeed
Old 12-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stresman View Post
I have replaced mine with no trouble. After removing the old one I cleaned every part, surface and bought the proper sealing tape to use in the new installation. Instead of rivets, I used stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Easy to install the new one and works great with no leaks.
Glad it was a fairly straightforward process to swap in the new one. What make/model did you end up going with?
Old 12-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #10

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
First off. Fantastic IS Dometic. Maxxair is owned by Airxcel. They are the two major players in the vent business. Either is good. Maxxair does make the Deluxe model that has the integral hood that raises, eliminating the need for a rain sensor. Personally, I want a fan I can run when it is raining. All of the vents are designed to fit a 14x14 inch opening.

There was some postings in the past about the electronics of the Maxxair not operating properly at 14 volts. I do not know if this has been cured or not.

Many trailers come with a vent that has a metal frame. These are made by Heng's, Jensen, or one or two other companies. Some are just a vent, others have a tiny (useless) fart fan in them. Heng's makes a fan called the Vortex. It installs in these metal frame vents. The Vortex I (one) is single speed out. The II (two) is several speeds out, and in. No electronics, just plain old resistors and switch. You have to drill a couple of small holes for screws to mount it. There are good and bad Youtube videos on installing one, just as there are vids on installing the other fans. The Heng's does not let as much light thru as the fan blades are not clear like the others.

I will add that the Heng's is a large fan that fills the opening, the fan blades may not be as large a diameter as the others, but it is close.

If there is no power to the opening, you can probably get hot and ground off the incoming to a nearby light. The fans do not draw much (Maxxair is 8 on startup, and about 4 or 5 running) and if you install LED lights, you will be assured of never having a problem.

I have installed all three at various times.

Charles
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
First off. Fantastic IS Dometic. Maxxair is owned by Airxcel. They are the two major players in the vent business. Either is good. Maxxair does make the Deluxe model that has the integral hood that raises, eliminating the need for a rain sensor. Personally, I want a fan I can run when it is raining. All of the vents are designed to fit a 14x14 inch opening.

There was some postings in the past about the electronics of the Maxxair not operating properly at 14 volts. I do not know if this has been cured or not.

Many trailers come with a vent that has a metal frame. These are made by Heng's, Jensen, or one or two other companies. Some are just a vent, others have a tiny (useless) fart fan in them. Heng's makes a fan called the Vortex. It installs in these metal frame vents. The Vortex I (one) is single speed out. The II (two) is several speeds out, and in. No electronics, just plain old resistors and switch. You have to drill a couple of small holes for screws to mount it. There are good and bad Youtube videos on installing one, just as there are vids on installing the other fans. The Heng's does not let as much light thru as the fan blades are not clear like the others.

I will add that the Heng's is a large fan that fills the opening, the fan blades may not be as large a diameter as the others, but it is close.

If there is no power to the opening, you can probably get hot and ground off the incoming to a nearby light. The fans do not draw much (Maxxair is 8 on startup, and about 4 or 5 running) and if you install LED lights, you will be assured of never having a problem.

I have installed all three at various times.

Charles
Thanks so much for the info Charles - I had come across an article saying that Fan-Tastic and Dometic was one of the same, but I thought I'd use both brand names in my post in case someone was only familiar with one name.

I think I'm ultimately looking to replace the unit with something that includes a fan as opposed to combining a stand alone fan within an existing frame and am looking for something with clear blades and a white top to allow the maximum amount of light to come in. I've read that the "smoke" coloured lids are technically transparent but end up filtering more light out than a white one.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #12

British Columbia
Ok I've looked at cost, features etc. and think I'm going to pull the trigger on purchasing a Maxxair 00A04301K Manual 4-Speed. The reviews are great and I like the option to buy a vent cover to go overtop at a later date, should I feel put out by the rain. Thanks so much to all for the feedback and advice!
Old 01-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #13

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
It depends on your needs. I never went with a self powered fan as I try not to camp in really wet weather but yes sometimes you get caught. So I upgraded to a 14 inch fan but most of the frames of those are thicker than the boler roof so I made a frame out of 1by 2 inch cedar and attached that to weroof then the new vent on top. The inside of the vent is flush with the inside of the ceiling. I went with 2 - 4 inch computer fans on a separate switch. Super quiet and virtually no power draw. If you check out Ian Giles great web site you will see instructions for installing it. I also live in the Lower mainland and you are more than welcome to come look at my setup
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraysha in BC View Post
Ok I've looked at cost, features etc. and think I'm going to pull the trigger on purchasing a Maxxair 00A04301K Manual 4-Speed. The reviews are great and I like the option to buy a vent cover to go overtop at a later date, should I feel put out by the rain. Thanks so much to all for the feedback and advice!
First of all, congratulations on your new trailer. Use it in the best of health!

You really can’t go wrong with a maxifan. However, I strongly recommend you install a roof cover at the same time. This is based upon my own experience with our “new-to-us” BF 21 which came with a Fantastic Fan, but no roof cover. Upon our return home, it was one of the first things I installed in preparation for our next trip.

On our first summer camping trip in the Rockies, it rained a fair amount. One night, we were away at dinner when a cell came through our camp & soaked our bed. The roof cover basically:
  • Protects your cabin from a surprise rain storm when you are out & about
  • Allows you to tow with the roof vent open - ventilating the cabin
  • Saves you from getting up in the middle of the night to close the vent when it begins to rain

The maxifan has a low profile, aerodynamic cover which is both aesthetically pleasing and practical. Do not view it as an optional add-on, but as an integral part of your trailer’s ventilation system.

Just saying
Old 01-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maxxfan, not Maxipad.
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...maxxfan-deluxe
Old 01-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #16

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Vent

We changed ours; lucky we had pwr to both of our vents prior. The new fan vents are not as quiet as some, but price was good. Some vents cost a lot and if they fail will cost to repair. Metal base seemed like a great idea, the lids are plastic for more light and are easy to find. Repairs that have been needed during our tips include some items not easy to find on the road. Like to try to make it more about fun. The vents with fans are a good idea if possible.
We carry some must haves like wheel barring's, clearance light lenses, wire and a few must haves but weight matters.
Wish you all the best in your choices
Old 01-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post

Will look at retro fit and if it can be reversed if needed on the road.
please post the install and wire diagram when you do this would be of interest
Old 01-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Dyke View Post
It depends on your needs. I never went with a self powered fan as I try not to camp in really wet weather but yes sometimes you get caught. So I upgraded to a 14 inch fan but most of the frames of those are thicker than the boler roof so I made a frame out of 1by 2 inch cedar and attached that to weroof then the new vent on top. The inside of the vent is flush with the inside of the ceiling. I went with 2 - 4 inch computer fans on a separate switch. Super quiet and virtually no power draw. If you check out Ian Giles great web site you will see instructions for installing it. I also live in the Lower mainland and you are more than welcome to come look at my setup
Jan
I used a Dremel to reduce the depth size so it would fit flush only problem is the flashing inside is too small a width to cover screws holding vent properly. Will need custom alum made to cover area of screws and place plastic flashing into it as they do not make a flashing as wide as the original vent.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #19

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
The nice thing about this Dicor Sealant is its ability to stick to all kinds of roofing surfaces. I tried it on my RV EPDM roof, and it adheres to the surface with ease.
https://vogeltalksrving.com/best-rv-...nts/#more-2021
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, eco