Replacing front plexi - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #1

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Replacing front plexi

One of the major (maybe not so major) things I want to do before the fall is replace the front plexi window.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406896566.619394.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	74299

There's no rock guard on it so it has deep scratches in it. And the sealing around the edges looks funky. Especially on the inside (see the upper corner of the window?) where is looks like it's been painted over and has gone mushy.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406896608.554689.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	74300

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406896621.948267.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	74301

I watched Kevin Jordan's videos in YouTube last night on window replacement but his old window seal looks better than mine so I'm worried about what I'll be getting myself into once I start.

Any suggestions on how to proceed or any other advice for a beginner?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
A couple of tips. Install new molding or seal, over time the rubber hardens and shrinks and will loose it's ability to seal. One note, in Kevin's video he installs the molding backwards, the way the molding is designed the locking strip has to be on the outside to get a reliable seal, also you always install the window from the locking side as the molding "opens" to give the clearance required to insert the window into the window channel.

Do not cut the new molding before you install it, install the molding around the opening making sure it is fully seated (use a rubber hammer to tap it all around to help it seat especially around the corners. The join should be at the bottom, cut the molding at least 3/4" long, (the ends overlap), Place the 2 ends together using bicycle tire patch glue on the ends, and force the extra molding around the window. This will make sure the seal remains tight even as th erubber shrinks over time.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #3

Nova Scotia
Just so I'm clear on this... since the lock seal is on the outside, then I'm installing the window from the outside?

Also, I'm assuming I'm going to need to take the window out as a template to get a piece of plexi cut? He says 4mm but is there a certain kind that I should be asking for?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgynm View Post
Just so I'm clear on this... since the lock seal is on the outside, then I'm installing the window from the outside?

Also, I'm assuming I'm going to need to take the window out as a template to get a piece of plexi cut? He says 4mm but is there a certain kind that I should be asking for?
Yes that is correct, locking seal is on the outside and the window is installed from the outside. and also yes the old window makes an excellent template. window thickness is 3/16" or 4.5 mm. Don't go any thicker because it is too stiff to bend and conform to the compound curves. Acrylic is the standard replacement and works very well. I used coated polycarbonate for mine, it is a tougher product but considerably more expensive.

As a bonus tip, when cleaning your new windows NEVER USE GLASS CLEANER, use lots of water with a little dish soap and a microfiber cloth. when they are clean use lemon pledge to keep them clean and protected. This is a ticked used in the aviation industry for years.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
where can one get new molding ? thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
where can one get new molding ? thanks
There are 2 types of molding, 2 piece and one piece, This molding is called "one piece locking window gasket", a main supplier is TrimLoc. You will need a profile that fits 1/8" edge and 3/16"-1/4" glass.
Here is an example LK987 - One-Piece Locking Gaskets - Trim-Lok
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
There are 2 types of molding, 2 pieceand on piece, This molding is called "one piece locking window gasket", a main supplier is TrimLoc. You will need a profile that fits 1/8" edge and 3/16"-1/4" glass.
Here is an example LK987 - One-Piece Locking Gaskets - Trim-Lok
thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Scamp trailers sells it by the foot as well.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #9

Nova Scotia
Here's an odd question... Is it expensive to order to Canada from Scamp?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It can be expensive. Try asking them to mail it. Your costs will be much lower. A local auto glass place might be cheaper.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #11

Name: Chris
Alberta
I put windows in both my trailers recently. One with the 2 piece and the other with the one piece. The one piece is the only way to go.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote