Replacing Furnace in a 13' Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
We are interested in pulling the old Duo Therm furnace from our Trillium and upgrading to a modern propane furnace - non electric. Any suggestions on pulling the old furnace and what to replace it with? Should we convert to a cupboard and have a portable or are their modern trailer furnaces that will fit in the space under the sink of 1 13' 76 Trillium.

Thanks and we love the site, great info and support

Kirsten and Don
Kirsten M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have a factory installed furnace in my 13 Scamp. It is located under the sink and on top of the wheel well. Fits in there perfectly.

Some folks use heaters that hang on the outside of a cabinet or ones that are portable and put on the floor. Consider the floor space is not all that big.

I personally like the furnace installed in the cabinet as it has it's own place out of the way. Now this furnaces have a fan that runs off the battery and it tends to be loud. Doesn't bother me, though.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Kirsten,

This is one area in my opinion where newer doesn't mean better. Those older furnaces were great, and it's too bad they don't make them any more. You won't be able to find anything as quiet and practical on the market today, and I know many would pay a good price to get one. No electricity, no moving parts, no fan, no noise, no humidity, and no CO or CO2 thanks to the outside venting. Low maintenance, too. We consider ourselves lucky to have one that is still in good shape - 35 years old and willl probably last for many more years to come. I will go to great lengths to keep ours in good working condition before I consider swapping it out for a "modern" one full of wires, electric controls and (gasp) a noisy fan. Can I have yours as a backup?

All a matter of opinion and preference, of course.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=35433

This one isn't the same as yours but it is original and serves me well. Keeps me warm enough. If it gets colder I supplement with a L'il Buddy

http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_1-048716
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, trillium