Replacing head liner/ceiling veneer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Replacing head liner/ceiling veneer

Hi helpful people,
We recently purchased a 17' Bigfoot. It has had lots of evidence of previous water damage, but over the last week we've had rain and snow and it seems dry. I'd like to replace the horribly damaged veneer in the front and roof, and also a few select spots around windows. It looks like it is a job that requires patience (I have) and tools (I don't have). I'm on the edge of trying to hire someone to do the work, but just don't know how, who or where to hire. Here's the primary question....I am planning on painting the entire interior white with some accents. Do I have to replace with wood veneer or is there a lighter substance that can be cut without special tools like a jigsaw or table saw? I am attaching pictures of the damage inside the front cupboards (over the dining table) and the bit by the window.
Attached Thumbnails
full shot front cupboard and bit to right below widnow.jpg   inside front cupboard.jpg  

Window veneer.jpg  
Brady Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: Nathan
Saskatchewan
Hey Sue,

I just bought a 1980 bigfoot and looking at similar project to you. Any updates on how you made out with the painting/ceiling repair?
NJNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

Alberta
Replacing head liner

Hi NJNS,
We started out by ensuring that the unit was no longer taking on water. We had all the window seals professionally replaced, and continued the previous owner's frowned upon action of applying a sealer to the entire roof. We figured that after 40 years we just were trying to keep it going and dry. Then, for remediation of damage we did three things:
a. We had new ceiling panels mounted over the existing ceiling. We used this opportunity to install new LED lighting as well.
b. Inside the front headwall of the cabinets, we sanded everything to a smooth finish (very fast) and painted inside the cupboards.
c. Where we had veneer around the windows that was damaged from water we used a combination of filling/painting, and in some areas we were applying wallpaper/tiels anyway, so it covered these defects.
If you zoom on the attached photos you can see how the headliner is secured with trim/molding in addition to brads.
Attached Thumbnails
Dining nook 2.jpg   Gaucho 1.jpg  

Kitchen wallpaper.jpg   Kitchn bath pantry.jpg  

Old 11-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: Nathan
Saskatchewan
Thanks for the info! What did you use for the ceiling tile?
NJNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #5

Alberta
Hi again,

We actually had the ceiling mounted by an RV tech who was doing some other work for us. I believe he said he bought the panels at Windsor Plywood. They look to just be simple panels, perhaps 1/8" thick, that have a sort of knock-down spantex appearance. Sorry that I cannot be more specific, but you might find a scoot through the hardware store will lead you to an appropriate product.