Replacing sharp pointy cabinet hinge crews on a Scamp 13. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2022, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Replacing sharp pointy cabinet hinge crews on a Scamp 13.

My 2021 Scamp 13 has very sharp pointy screws holding the hinge to the fiberglass cabinet. On the inside they can readily snag and tear things. They are difficult to cut or file. (they seem like a hardened tempered metal of some kind.). I was thinking of replacing them with small machine screws. I'm not sure what size to get. Does that seem like an okay idea? Maybe I could get fine threads to reduce loosening due to vibration? Suggestions are welcome.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:18 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
If you can't find a replacement screw that works well you could cover the screw ends. Maybe something like these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2788/204275995

Or, back the screws out and put a small block of wood on the inside of the cabinet to drive the screws back into. Bert
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
if you get "nylock" nuts, they have a nylon piece on the end that stops them form loosening, you can also get "acorn" nuts that cover the end of the screw completely leaving a dome that is not sharp, as for size- use the same basic size as the wood screws, i.e. 6,8,10- take one of the screws in for sizing and get the equivalent in a machine screw, you may have to slightly enlarge the hole to fit the machine screw through it.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:26 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cabinet screws

Complicated solution: Replace the wood screws with machine screws (#6, I think) and nylon locking nuts with a washer on the inside.
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #5
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Pointy screws

Just take a Dremel and grind the points off.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Nylon Acorn Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
My 2021 Scamp 13 has very sharp pointy screws holding the hinge to the fiberglass cabinet. On the inside they can readily snag and tear things. They are difficult to cut or file. (they seem like a hardened tempered metal of some kind.). I was thinking of replacing them with small machine screws. I'm not sure what size to get. Does that seem like an okay idea? Maybe I could get fine threads to reduce loosening due to vibration? Suggestions are welcome.
Nylon or sheet metal acorn nuts will thread onto almost any pointed screw.

https://amazon.com/Metric-Thread-Threaded-Protection-Assortment/dp/B07XG9CG4H/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1WUSR4D43MTIX&keywords=Toy+Retain ing+cap+nut%2C+acorn+nut&qid=1656697092&sprefix=to y+retaining+cap+nut%2C+acorn+nut%2Caps%2C726&sr=8-21
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Take one screw out, and take it with you to the hardware store. Use this screw to make sure you get the proper diameter but shorter screws.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:22 PM   #8

Name: Ned
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 13D & 2016 Highlander
Iowa
I had the same problem and put a low profile dollop of silicone glue on each one. This has worked for many years.
GpaNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
You could removed a few screws, grind off the points and reinsert them. I have ground tips off screw by screwing them into a thin piece of plywood to hold them will while grinding. This way any part of the screw holding the hinge would not be affected.

Another option would be to remove the screws and epoxy a small, thin piece of plywood to the fiberglass where the screws come through then reinstall the screws. A bit thicker piece of plywood with a bit longer screw would hold much better.

Using a shorter screw could likely result in the screw coming loose if the pointed end of it is relied on for support.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #10
NOD

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
California
On my 13' Scamp, I used oval head machine screws, #6 x 3/4" if I recall correctly, with a small washer and a nylock nut for all the hinges. The nylock nut is important because it won't loosen over time with all the vibrations the trailer experiences while towing.
NOD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp