Replacing subfloor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Registry
Replacing subfloor

I recently bought a 1982 Scamp 13' and the subfloor is sadly not in good condition. I’m thinking I will likely need to replace the whole subfloor. Has anyone had this done professionally? If so, what can I expect to pay? I know it won’t be cheap.

I have attached a photo of the subfloor.
Attached Thumbnails
4BE9AC2E-738C-4227-9653-D1622601CEAD.jpg  
Edukater81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:05 PM   #2

Name: Keith
Texas
Replacing the floor is important because it is a structural element attaching the shell to the frame. But, only replace it if it needs to be replaced. Further, I would only replace the parts that need replacing.

Ugly wood can be sanded and covered. Rotten wood needs to be replaced.

I don’t know what a shop would charge, but I do know that I’m not doing it again.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Finding a shop that will do it is going to be very hard. Price at $100 per hour for labor, wild guess is $3000 to do it right
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:21 AM   #4

Texas
Also, lots of people here and on the Scamp forum have done major floor repairs and were very helpful a few years ago when I tackled mine. It is a dirty job and it feels like you are going to ruin the trailer half the time, but it is not technically difficult. And you will learn a lot about fiberglass and resin.

Post a better description of how bad the wood is and you may get more advice on how to handle it.

Side note: most scamp floor rot comes from interior leaks. You have to fix the leaks or your new floor is doomed.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #5

Name: Kate
Utah
Registry
Thank you everyone. I will be tackling the subfloor myself this fall.
Edukater81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:36 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edukater81 View Post
Thank you everyone. I will be tackling the subfloor myself this fall.
Come back and ask questions when you are getting ready, or at least search old threads. A lot of helpful folks around here who have done it all before and it would be shame to waste the resource.

Once you are done you will be happy you did it yourself. And you will look much closer at any future projects.