Replacing trailer 4 pin flat to 7 pin round - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

Name: Joshua
Trailer: Scamp
NY
Replacing trailer 4 pin flat to 7 pin round

Hello everyone, I am picking up a new to me 1987 Scamp 13' in a few days. The previous owner has done a lot of upgrades including upgraded electrical. It currently has a 4 flat wire harness on it. I want to eventually add trailer brakes to the trailer and want to change the wiring harness over to a 7 pin round for that, as well as, being able to charge the trailer battery. Will this kit work for what I want to do?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M1FC3...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I know I wont have the wire for the brakes yet. I figure I will be able to add it after the fact. Just wondering if this is the correct approach. Make sure I am not missing something. Thank you for your help in advance.
JEVanHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
4 to 7 pin connector

Hi,
Did the conversion when I put brakes on our 13' Scamp. Did not have kit available at time so bought separated parts then mounted the black box on frame before wires go into trailer. Having wire terminals makes it an easier project.
Get busy,
BobC
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0435.jpg  
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
That will work. I recommend crimping on Marine-Grade ring connectors with the heat shrink sleeves so they will be sealed against the weather. Makes wiring a lot easier.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
From the discription it will work well. I've saved it to my list to use when I finally redo my Compact jr. Which has setting since I purchased my Scamp in '17'. It would be much better than the original.
I like that it has a 10 guage wire. Some of the assemblies I've seen don't.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:23 PM   #5

Name: Joshua
Trailer: Scamp
NY
Thank you all for the confirmation. I really appreciate it. Does anyone have a diagram for what the wiring needs to be going from the box to the battery in order to charge it? Connection to +/- terminals obviously. Do I need a fuse in line from the box to the battery?
JEVanHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
That's exactly what I did on my Campster. In my case, a prior owner had jury-rigged some of the electrical including adding backup lights with a separate 4-pin connector. Mine will never have brakes, but I got working backup lights and the battery charge out of the upgrade. Besides, my tow only has a 7-pin connector, so I was able to eliminate the adapter to 4-pin.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEVanHorn View Post
Hello everyone, I am picking up a new to me 1987 Scamp 13' in a few days. The previous owner has done a lot of upgrades including upgraded electrical. It currently has a 4 flat wire harness on it. I want to eventually add trailer brakes to the trailer and want to change the wiring harness over to a 7 pin round for that, as well as, being able to charge the trailer battery. Will this kit work for what I want to do?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M1FC3...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I know I wont have the wire for the brakes yet. I figure I will be able to add it after the fact. Just wondering if this is the correct approach. Make sure I am not missing something. Thank you for your help in advance.

Hi,
The Scamp has a fuse inside the Scamp where the wires enter the trailer. Any questions on this let me know. Did this on my 2003 Scamp 13'.
BobC
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
If going directly from the junction box to the battery I would install an inline fuse. It would only be protection for the wiring coming from the tow vehcle if it get a short near the battery and might be redundant since the wires should be protected near the connection in the engine compartment. I believe in redundancy.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
That will work. I recommend crimping on Marine-Grade ring connectors with the heat shrink sleeves so they will be sealed against the weather. Makes wiring a lot easier.
On my 17' Casita SD I mounted the terminal box in the closet out of the weather. It also eliminated the 3M crimp on connectors that can develop problems.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #10

Name: Rob
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
Yes, I once had a short at the plug (after washing the trailer) that resulted in a popped battery and some melted wires. Rather scary, next to the propane tanks! My repair included an in-line fuse immediately before the battery connection - cheap and easy enough, so why not. I also used heat shrink connectors that are mostly waterproof and make things nice and tidy.
I bought one of those connector boxes for the seven pin plug, so adding wires later is easy too.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ery-91571.html
robf is offline   Reply With Quote