Restoring serial number - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Restoring serial number

I have a 1973 Boler with a painted over serial number foil sticker on the side. The trailer frame was replaced and so was the closet door so this sticker is my only proof that the trailer belongs to my papers. I just sanded the sticker down enough to make out the numbers (I've always been slightly worried that they wouldn't match my paperwork, but thankfully they do.)

My question is, is there a way to replace this sticker or restamp my frame so I don't lose this information? I assume you can't just go ahead and stamp your own numbers and expect it to be official.

skedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #2

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1974 Hunter Compact II & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Go to Harbor Freight, buy a cheap set of 1/4 inch metal stamps and STAMP your serial number on the frame rails of your trailer.

Stamp the serial number on the tongue frame rail, a side rail and it's a good idea to stamp the serial number on a rear frame rail under the trailer just in case your trailer gits stolen at some time. Maybe the thief will not notice that hidden serial number stamped on your rear frame rail under the trailer.

That stamped serial number under the trailer makes for easy identification if stolen and recovered as the thief may have already ground off the easily seen serial number stamped on the tongue frame rail or your foil ID tag but never found the stamped serial number under the rear frame.

Remember it's YOUR TRAILER and you can stamp whatever you want on it!

That's what I would do and what I have done on my vintage trailers.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've done like Mike says, stamped the numbers in a couple places. You can also buy official looking VIN tags on eBay and they will stamp your numbers on it if you want.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Times Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Go to Harbor Freight, buy a cheap set of 1/4 inch metal stamps and STAMP your serial number on the frame rails of your trailer.

Stamp the serial number on the tongue frame rail, a side rail and it's a good idea to stamp the serial number on a rear frame rail under the trailer just in case your trailer gits stolen at some time. Maybe the thief will not notice that hidden serial number stamped on your rear frame rail under the trailer.

That stamped serial number under the trailer makes for easy identification if stolen and recovered as the thief may have already ground off the easily seen serial number stamped on the tongue frame rail or your foil ID tag but never found the stamped serial number under the rear frame.

Remember it's YOUR TRAILER and you can stamp whatever you want on it!

That's what I would do and what I have done on my vintage trailers.

My Daughter had a very similar situation and that’s what I advised her to do and she did. Now she has a trailer with a serial number, Stamped two places And those numbers match her current title. There would be no way to prove that this trailer was not the number she says it is. She has an original owners title but for day to day use, this will do. Here’s is a 1974. Not
Many DOT inspectors on duty now that were working 46 years ago. Or people that can verify exact stamping was consistent.
Who stamped that trailer? I do not know! Here’s my title.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #5

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
They quit doing DOT inspections on trailers in Washington State in January 2020. Now no one even looks for stamped VIN numbers or ID plates when you bring a trailer into the state. They just want to see the paper work so they can look up how much you owe them. Good thing they did that before the Covid 19 crises came along
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:06 PM   #6

Name: Ed
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Ok it sounds like the consensus is that no one is going to give me trouble if I do this myself instead of going through official channels. Thanks for the feedback folks!
skedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #7

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skedius View Post
Ok it sounds like the consensus is that no one is going to give me trouble if I do this myself instead of going through official channels. Thanks for the feedback folks!

You should realise that all of those advising you live in various US states and you live in a Canadian province and that it's internet advice. But, go ahead.