Retractable screen door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Retractable screen door

My Escape 19 which I've had just from June, new then, has a retractable screen door. It has worked flawlessly until yesterday when it started not retracting properly. Any advice? Thanks, Bob
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bob, I got a manual of sorts for the screen door with all the other paperwork and manuals when I picked up my trailer. I keep all that stuff in the trailer. Do you have yours with you? If not, you might be better checking with folks on the EscapeForum.

Here's a link to the Vista Screen door manual on the EscapeForum: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/do...?do=file&id=21
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Retractable screen door

Be sure the bottom glides are lubricated with silicone. Mine sticks if that area gets dry. Escape used to give a little bottle of the stuff to new owners but the service person recently told me they'd stopped giving it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Thanks to both of you. I did find the manual and did some minor adjusting. There is some improvement. Would silicone spray work? The only spray cans of it that I've seen are terribly large for such a limited use. Any way, thanks again.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
... ... The only spray cans of it that I've seen are terribly large for such a limited use....
You mean the 11-12 oz cans? You have GOT to get one!... Unlike the dreaded silicone sealant that is the devil itself on Fiberglass (or so I am repeatedly told); Silicone Spray has lots of uses around the trailer, house and auto.

I use it on rubber seals on my car's doors to help them last longer.
Spray down your snow shovel to help snow and ice slid right off.
Lubricate the wooden rollers on your older furniture or your windows in the house. Etc and so forth.

You do need to make sure that silicone spray is compatible with the surfaces you want to use it on, but there are so many uses its a must have IMHO.

Oh yea, I also lub the track in the Plisse Retractable Screen on my Scamp with Silicone spray.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I use silicone spray every other year on my awning track as well, so the awning doesn't bind when I feed it into the track. It also works to lube the track on a treadmill (uh, yeah, I gotta do that and then start some indoor walking this winter)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I use silicone spray every other year on my awning track as well, so the awning doesn't bind when I feed it into the track.
It does work good for that. Any metal on metal sliding action is aided with a bit of silicone spray. I always keep it around.

It would work good on the Vista door too, for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #8

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
While we're on this topic. Does anyone have a suggestion to unstick the plastic drain valve on the bottom of the water tank? Mine is stuck solid in the closed position. Cheap plastic. Would silicone spray work on that?
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1451853119.260693.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  13.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
A sticky plastic valve is usually caused by some bit of debris in it. Dismantling and cleaning, if possible, is usually the best bet. Sometimes a good flushing will do it too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Thanks to both of you. I did find the manual and did some minor adjusting. There is some improvement. Would silicone spray work? The only spray cans of it that I've seen are terribly large for such a limited use. Any way, thanks again.
We have not had that unless very temporarily. You might look carefully at the bottom to see that nothing is stuck in there or on the track. I assume you mean that it is still on the track. Ours comes off once in a while, that is, I manage to knock it off.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #11

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
That drain valve is very susceptible to UV degradation and needs to be replaced every couple of years ... out here in Texas anyway. It's under $5 at any RV store.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote