Reusing a regular bed frame. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Okay, here's the deal. I am putting a twin size sleep number bed in the Play Pac. I want to reuse a metal/spring/foundation from an old day bed as the bed deck and frame. If I'm looking at this correctly, I should be able to build two end pieces and attach them to the sub floor and the bed rail and have a stable, relatively light weight bed, right.

Here's an image of what I have mocked up:
Attached Thumbnails
playpacbed.jpg  
Old 09-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I'm assuming this is intended to be purely a one-person trailer?

I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. The only question I'd have would be about having room for a stabilizing closet or bulkhead next to the door. I suppose I'd also worry mildly about how the trailer would balance out. I'm assuming you're planning a bathroom/kitchen in the front similar to the original floorplan.

If you don't mind the question - why put the bed lengthwise as opposed to sideways? Does it just not fit or is there another reason?

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #3

Hi. Mike. Yes, this is a single person setup for the most part. I have the bed running lengthwise because I am aiming to have a side dinette, once I figure out the seat over the wheel hump.
Part of that layout would be some sort of stabilizer for the door frame. One aim is the ability to make the dinette into another bed area. Thus, having the potential of a king size bed, if needed. (I'm thinking guest house, or future grand kids sleep overs).

Here's a shot of the front, as I've configured it. No bath, as such, but I am still plotting here. The little sofa is actually the back seat from the Wrangler and it's sitting on the storage trunk I got for all the misc camping stuff. The kitchen to the left is going to remain a sink, microwave and my cooler.

Imagine a bedroom as opposed to a full mini house. For my primary uses, cooking or eating will be done outside the trailer. I'm a bit worried about weight distribution too. I'm thinking I may make the back of one dinette end a small closet to house stuff and the microwave.

The AC when I take it will ride on the floor and be mounted in the rear window.
Attached Thumbnails
playpacfront.jpg  
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #4

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Not sure if this satisfies your criteria - but if you want the option of a king-size in the back, how about a futon where you have the bed and a narrow 2-person dinette across from that. Nice single-sleeper as-is, or you could drop the table into a narrow bed OR you could drop the table AND bring down the futon (filling the space between it and the dinette) forming the mega-bed.

It's interesting to see how different people lay things out - because that tells you where their priorities are. Me - I'm a storage nut who likes big beds. Everything else falls out as a consequence of that. I also don't like having to put on my shoes during the night - so space for the portapotty is important.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #5

Know what you mean. I'll think about the futon thing. My first trip out I used a small cot and ended up with the wheel well poking me.

Eventually, as time and money allows, I'm going to keep improving this little jewel.

Right now I have my basics: water source, bed, porta potti (it was under the bed) and somewhere to sit. I'm also toying with an inside shower arrangement, ala Gina's Coleman water setup and a hula hoop. More on that later, with pics.

Since this original bed idea will work; I'm going to go ahead and try it for awhile. Nice thing is it's simple enough to take out, if it turns out to be a bad setup.

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate them.