RFI: Tall People Bed Pics... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: In the market
Ohio
RFI: Tall People Bed Pics...

It appears that the scariest part about buying a small trailer (at least, the kind I am interested in) is the small beds. I am 6'2". We are looking at a Casita Spirit Deluxe, but all the information I can find is the widest part of the bed is 76". That is really tight when you are 74"!

So can some of you taller people post real life pictures of you laying in your bed so I can visualize the bed width? Or describe your experience sleeping in the bed (with a partner so I can't sleep diagonal).

To preemptively answer some questions.

We don't want to go a bigger trailer size, or pay more than going rates for Scamp/Casita (like the Casita layout better).
We have a kid, so I don't want the models with the beds running front to back.

Not sure what bed sizes Escapes have, but they are a bit more than we would like to spend and are a bit too far away from Ohio.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Andy Avram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
While you wait for pics, do a search on bed extensions. There are some very clever mods people have done, both rudimentary and craftsman styles. Many involve removing the wooden divider, but others don’t. I wanted to do it for my tall husband, but evidently he’s happy in the big bed with the dog while I’ve been relegated to the side dinette. (I have to admit it’s nice to be close to the bathroom.)
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Avram View Post
It appears that the scariest part about buying a small trailer (at least, the kind I am interested in) is the small beds. I am 6'2". We are looking at a Casita Spirit Deluxe, but all the information I can find is the widest part of the bed is 76". That is really tight when you are 74"!

So can some of you taller people post real life pictures of you laying in your bed so I can visualize the bed width? Or describe your experience sleeping in the bed (with a partner so I can't sleep diagonal).

To preemptively answer some questions.

We don't want to go a bigger trailer size, or pay more than going rates for Scamp/Casita (like the Casita layout better).
We have a kid, so I don't want the models with the beds running front to back.

Not sure what bed sizes Escapes have, but they are a bit more than we would like to spend and are a bit too far away from Ohio.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Hello Andy,
I am sorry. At this time I do not have any pictures of me laying in the Casita bed.

I am 6'8" and I have a Casita 2019 SD17. I have plenty of room sleeping diagonally. But then I am single and I am not sharing the bed with someone else.

I did a lot of research before I bought the Casita. The inside height is 6"2". You will loose 2" when standing under the A/C unit. The wet bath is only 6". For the bath, I accepted that I would not be standing up to take a shower. I will be sitting on the toilet. I bought the trailer knowing that I would be stooping when standing. With that in mind, when in the trailer, I will be sitting most of the time.

The Casita appeared to have the largest dinette/bed of the trailers I researched. I was not on this forum at the time. After I bought the Casita, I found there were many brands of fiberglass trailers. I only looked at the Scamp and the Casita. While Scamp seems to be a big favorite on here (Boler seems to be another), for my needs, the Casita was the best option while maintaining the budget I had.
The other option for you is to look at used trailers. You might be able to find something with a larger bed within your budget. Just be extremely thorough in checking out any used trailer you buy. There are a lot of excellent posts on this forum on the subject of used trailers and what you need to know.

Another factor will be the towing weight and tongue weight capacity of your tow vehicle. More head room and sleeping room means a heavier trailer.

You are correct that finding a trailer to accommodate your height is going to more than double the cost of the trailer. The Casita SD17 back dinette makes into a standard full size bed. Understand you loose a bit on the back corners as they are curved. I think you will be OK, however as you mentioned it will be a tight fit. The side dinette makes into a single bed that is only 6 ft. long and 24" wide.
I assume from your post there will be three of you sleeping in the trailer. So that will mean turning both dinettes into a bed at night.

If you are looking at a new trailer, you can contact Casita. They will set you up with a Casita owner whose trailer you may check out locally. This would give you the opportunity to see how you would fit. Another option is to go to a bed store and lay on one of the full sized beds. I believe the standard size for a full size bed is 76x56 the same as the Casita rear dinette.

If you are looking for a used trailer, check out the postings on this site. You may find someone close to where you live with an Escape for sale.

I hope this is of help.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
HI Andy :

We bought a new Casita 17ft SD in 2013 and sold it in 2019
Our Casita was a great trailer , extremely reliable with very few issues beyond normal maintenance
I am 6ft 2” tall and the bed in the Casita did not present any problems for me
I would take some pictures but we no longer have the trailer

PS ; If Casita made a trailer bigger than 17 foot we would still own one
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #5

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Fiberglass trailers for tall people

I am 6'-1 and searched for a while, looking at all the molded fiberglass trailers produced. Finally saw a small ad for Eggcamper in 2011 in a magazine called Trailer Life. Located one in Fort Myers, Florida. Contacted the owner and asked if I could come to look. Was about a 550 mile round trip from Jacksonville. When I returned home to Jacksonville, I immediately placed my order. Please check out pictures of the interior of my camper on this website. Bed is 7 foot long. Can also be set up in an L configuration, again 2 -7 foot long beds. I bought four different mattresses, from a company that produces them for tractor trailers. The most important focus in purchasing a camper, for me, was comfortable sleeping accommodations and everything else second to that. The 4 mattresses are all single wide allow me a multitude of combinations of setups, including a mattress you to lay on the floor, which allows me to sleep a total of 4 adults. however this trailer is best suited for two adults where the dinette remains up and the bed as well. The Eggcamper also boasts a 6'7" interior height which will accommodate your 6'2" height easily. I still enjoy the camper 9 years later now. I do not anticipate ever selling it. When shopping, I bought a 3/4 ton diesel Chevrolet truck thinking I would one day step up to a larger camper. I now have a 1/2 ton gas pickup and therefore downsized with my truck instead. My special needs daughter and l travel National Parks. I am totally satisfied with my camper and truck set up!!!
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #6

Ohio
Thanks everyone, you really helped put my mind at ease with taller people making it work. But then there was this golden nugget from Bob Penn, "Another option is to go to a bed store and lay on one of the full sized beds. I believe the standard size for a full size bed is 76x56 the same as the Casita rear dinette." I realized the kid's bed is a full. I measured her bed to be sure, and I fit quite well without feeling jack-knifed, with room for my wife.

I feel like I can really move foward on this without hesitation now!

Andy
Old 06-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Avram View Post
Thanks everyone, you really helped put my mind at ease with taller people making it work. ...
I feel like I can really move foward (sic) on this without hesitation now!
Then maybe I wont mention that I find the Standard Scamp bed too small to share and the only way I can sleep is diagonally, taking up the entire bed myself. Its not just my height, but the fact that I stretch my arms out, toss and turn, etc. Unlike a regular bed, the walls are right at the edges and that is limiting also.

Im' 6 foot even.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:20 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
You may of seen the HC1 by Happier Camper and noticed the cool looking fender skirts and think they are only cosmetic but they were actually engineered to give the bed an extra 8 inches of of length and more squareness of a standard bed .you can actually set the bed to a full Queen and use standard size sheets.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Then maybe I wont mention that I find the Standard Scamp bed too small to share and the only way I can sleep is diagonally, taking up the entire bed myself. Its not just my height, but the fact that I stretch my arms out, toss and turn, etc. Unlike a regular bed, the walls are right at the edges and that is limiting also.

Im' 6 foot even.

I know, I really like a few of the Scamp layouts, but then I realized I'd need a deluxe to get the wider bed. No way would I buy a standard Scamp with the bed size they have (at home we sleep in a cal king). But my wife likes the look of Casita more than Scamp anyway...
Old 06-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
If you are looking at a new trailer, you can contact Casita. They will set you up with a Casita owner whose trailer you may check out locally. This would give you the opportunity to see how you would fit. Another option is to go to a bed store and lay on one of the full sized beds. I believe the standard size for a full size bed is 76x56 the same as the Casita rear dinette.
CORRECTION:I gave the wrong measurements for the Casita rear dinette/bed size. The bed is 54 inches wide NOT 56 inches as I stated previously. The bed is 76 inches long. I confirmed the measurements today.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #11

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
I got a 13' Scamp and my husband, who is only 6' 1" won't sleep in the bed. I guess I have to sell. Does anyone want to buy a slightly used husband?
TV: 2013 Subaru Forester
Jennifer in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #12

Name: Suzanne and Boe
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in Denver View Post
I got a 13' Scamp and my husband, who is only 6' 1" won't sleep in the bed. I guess I have to sell. Does anyone want to buy a slightly used husband?
Good luck with that sale!
But back on topic we have Casita FD and hubby is 6 2 and bed works for him. We did go from a used 16 ft to the 17 for headroom and my freezer for ice cream!
Boe and Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #13

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in Denver View Post
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Registry
LOL
TomV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #15

Name: Ted
Trailer: Looking at new Scamp 16
Florida
long beds

Casita Independece has twin beds, 31 w by 81 long. Good info.
Ted Meier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:48 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
GA
I am 6'2" and Independance sleeps great for me. I can even point my toes and just barely touch the wall!
yolams is offline   Reply With Quote