Ridiculous question about screen tents... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 04:56 PM   #21

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
I would be towing with a Subaru Outback, larger 3.6 engine
Old 07-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Please rethink the little guy. Think of the days your not feeling well. When your pain levels are up and or your sick you will be living in a torture chamber. This will make you seek better accomidations. 10 days in a motel will kill your budget. I feel for what your going through especially since you have spent your productive life helping others. I truly hope the best for you.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
We have a Scamp13 and both the smaller 4-sided and larger 6-sided CLAM screen rooms.

As trailers go, I think that the Scamp13 is fairly easy to deal with. Tows well; easy to push around on the driveway or into a tight campsite in a state park. Unless you have a taller tow vehicle (or an air deflector?), you will need to drive a little slower (55 - 60 mph) to even come close to the fuel efficiency of pulling a teardrop. When the rear dinette/bed remains in the bed configuration, we can sit on the front sofa and read, put on shoes/clothes, eat (on a small TV-tray-like table), etc. For full-timing, I can't imagine not being able to stand up inside my trailer on a rainy day.

The CLAM screen tents are pretty easy to deal with too. For longer stays in one place (like maybe a week+?), the brown & tan 6-sided unit would likely be best. it can travel in the trailer on a protective pad on the front sofa (or ??). For 10lbs less weight, less bag length, shorter (1-2 day) stays and/or smaller camp sites, the 4-sided "Traveler" unit works out fine.

Sorry about your situation!

Good luck with your voices and decisions! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Ray, you say you have both sizes. I want to ask, do you feel there's a significant difference in ease of use between the two? I'm guessing the 4 sided would be notably easier to set up and take down, but why guess when you'd know for sure!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Ridiculous question about screen tents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Ray, you say you have both sizes. I want to ask, do you feel there's a significant difference in ease of use between the two? I'm guessing the 4 sided would be notably easier to set up and take down, but why guess when you'd know for sure!

Mike (& all) -

Some of the ease of use things are pretty intuitive, but there were just a couple of surprises.

The carry bag on the Traveler is tighter and does not have a lot of extra room for privacy panels,
stakes, plastic stake hammer, etc. The carry bag on the older green unit is/was much more generous, which made it easier to get out and especially to pack up at take-down time.

When popping the top of the Traveler up past that over-center point, I often have to step on
one of the bottom side skirts. Otherwise, it is just so light that the whole thing simply lifts up into
the air and the top doesn't go over-center into the up position. There is just enough more mass
in the larger unit that a quick thrust upwards puts the top up.

When traveling, the smaller Traveler unit can lay front-to-back in our SUV with one (or both) sections of the rear seat folded down. It can also lay front-to-back under the bed/dinette in the
Scamp13 or lay on a protective (dirt, etc.) pad on the bottom part of the sofa and still leave a little more room to sit on the front edge of the sofa to put on shoes, etc.
The larger CLAM has to lay diagonally in the SUV (with both sections of the rear seat folded down) or else on a protective pad on the lower sofa cushion of the Scamp.

The brown & cream units made some nice privacy panel enhancements. Built into the privacy
panel is a screen area that can be exposed by unsticking some Velcro and rolling the nylon flap up. That allows for a little bit of light and ventilation when the panel is in place. Also, the Traveler has a top flap on the unit itself that comes down over the top edge of the privacy panel and Velcro's to it to prevent rain from running down in between the privacy panels and the screening below. I believe that all of the privacy panels (in each color) are the same size and interchangeable.

Obviously, the larger unit will cover a picnic table and is roomy enough for 4 to 6 people. The smaller unit is only good for 2 people or maybe 4? Each would provide sun/rain protection for shading ice chests and/or keeping towel drying racks out of the rain.

The smaller Traveler is cheaper, about 10 pounds lighter, and the bagged unit is maybe a foot shorter?

I hope that helps some. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
I would be towing with a Subaru Outback, larger 3.6 engine
There are alternatives besides Scamps and Little Guy that are great for towing with a Subaru Outack. Those are the pop tops. You get the advantage of low height for towing and standing head room when you want it. They are not hard on your hands or back to raise and lower, certainly easier to put up and down than a tent shelter and you can do it in a matter of seconds. If a storm comes up you will not be outside scrambling in wind and rain to put away a shelter. You will just reach up and pull down the top then secure the clamps. Think about how great that would be in the middle of the night.

While there are not a ton of the older pop tops around many of the ones available have already been updated and therefore can be very reliable.

So decent gas savings since they are not overly tall, standing head room, affordable cost. Easy on your back, plenty of space for sitting and sleeping, place to cook, room for the toilet. Lots of windows for seeing outside, good ventilation, electricity, running water with sink, refrigeration. Potential for AC if not already installed. Some of them are better insulated than others but you can keep your eyes out for one that has had additional insulation added as part of the updating of the interior.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #26

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Just an FYI -

Be careful about at least some of the CLAM knock-off units.

I think it was a gray one from Menards that looked similar but had no option for attaching wind/privacy panels.

I have and have used those panels on both the large and small CLAM.

I think that the larger brown & tan/cream genuine CLAM is around or just over $250 (without privacy panels) on Amazon (and other sources?).

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Agree about watching out for the knock-offs; the gray one from Cabella's IS a true CLAM, the clam rep told me so himself.
It's also about $100 more than the green and brown/tan ones, but it has more features. YES, it has the wind/privacy panels.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #27

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
No question on the FGRV forum is "ridiculous". Thank you for coming here to ask your question and thank you for your service as a nurse. I believe nurses are angels on earth!

While you have received some excellent suggestions for screen tents and other ways of living, I'm wondering how you will cope altogether with such extensive disabilities.

A social comment: It is an abomination in our country that we allow people to become "homeless" because of medical issues beyond their control.

By chance, the following link appeared at the bottom of the page where you posted your question. I know it requires money to have the kind of camper these women have, but I think the point of the article is, "Where there is a will, there is a way". An Illness Doesn't Have to End Your Dream of Full-Timing

As a former nurse you probably know of resources in your community to help people in need. Now is the time for you to seek their assistance. Maybe it will come in the form of housing assistance (home-share with a senior, for instance), free food bank, free clothing. When you tell your story to others, you may be surprised at the good things that will come your way!

I certainly wish you all the best. My hunch is that your tenacity and resourcefulness will help you go far. Please stay in touch with us all.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #28

Nevada
I'm not aware of any pop up I can pull. I looked, but they were going to be too heavy and I have a tongue weight limit of 200 with my Subaru. I can do another search though.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
You could probably have a pop top altered with a crank up Assy without too much hassle. Or springs, levered to assist.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #30

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My comment on pop-ups ... I've known many people who've given up on this type of camper as it really is too much hassle. You still need to put it up and take it down. I've watched other campers deal with pop-ups and I do NOT envy them. I appreciate my Scamp. Drive it in, set down the "legs" and you're good to go!

The following is a thread that has been going on for some time. I thought you might be interested in hearing comments about full-timing or not. Believe me, I have not ignored the fact that you will be on SSI. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-72114.html

In reality, with the Scamp, it does take strength and effort to hitch and un-hitch the trailer. I do wish the "leg" (I don't know the proper name) on the tongue did not require so many rotations of the handle. The handle almost hits the side of our propane tank. Perhaps if we only had one tank this would not be an issue. Some people say they replace the "leg handle" so it swings away.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #31

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I was referring to pop top campers like the compact etc. I didn't know you were talking pop up campers.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In my head, a "pop-up" is a Tent Trailer ( essentially a tent on a trailer ).
And while I'm at it, a "camper" sits in the bed of a pickup truck.
And, you tow a trailer ( or fifth wheel ).
Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think KC, who first mentioned "pop-tops," was talking about the molded fiberglass trailers with lift-up roof sections- Hunter Compact and Trailswest Campster- not tent trailers.

They do tend to be a bit lighter, lower profile, and less expensive that a Scamp-type trailer of similar condition and vintage. However, they haven't been made since the 70's, and I sense the OP is looking for something newer.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #34

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think KC, who first mentioned "pop-tops," was talking about the molded fiberglass trailers with lift-up roof sections- Hunter Compact and Trailswest Campster- not tent trailers.

They do tend to be a bit lighter, lower profile, and less expensive that a Scamp-type trailer of similar condition and vintage. However, they haven't been made since the 70's, and I sense the OP is looking for something newer.
They get redone with new interiors and new frames and axles too as well as updated cabinets. No reason not to get one that has been fixed up versus buying something made more recently if the style of the trailer solves both the physical human ergonomic needs and financial budget issues for the buyer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #35

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Lynn - There are websites like "gofundme" that allow people to ask for donations to help get thru difficult times. As a former nurse, you deserve some repayment from lots of people - myself included. You might be surprised by the response, and it could help you get established in a comfortable life - which you deserve.

It bothers me greatly that someone that gave so much should now want for basic support. Please try the gofundme route and post a link so those of us that have had the life-saving care of a good nurse can make a repayment. Do it as a favor to others. Whatever happens next, I wish you the very best.

Jan
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #36

Nevada
Good news, I hope !

A nurse that I worked with 15 yrs ago, and occasionally speak to, has offered me and my cat, a spare room to live in until I get things figured out. She has another year of school, so has graciously made me the offer. I now will get at least one hand surgery done, if not both. I will leave my possessions here in storage and live light in Denver.
I still will be asking questions, and appreciate everyone's advice. But at least the pressure is off a little.

Next question: do you use/recommend a campground book and a boondocking reference book to help plan your direction. I don't expect to have good internet with my phone. And I expect having a wifi signal in a Little Guy or Scamp would be too expensive for me.
Lynn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:47 AM   #37

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Many CGs have free wifi.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Often places like McDonalds have WiFi for the nominal cost of a cup of coffee or other purchase.

We camp at state and county parks. They typically do not have WiFi. National parks and forest campgrounds, same.

Private campgrounds would be more likely to offer it as an amenity, but the cost is higher, except possibly if you find a place with monthly rates. Some RV parks with monthly rates are not intended for "camping"- they are meant for larger, self-contained units. Some have minimum size and maximum age restrictions on the RV.

In any case, public networks lack security for doing lots of common internet tasks, like accessing bank accounts and paying bills.

There have been some good discussions about various ways to access internet in the "Full-timing" section of the forum.

I'm so glad you found a place to stay during your surgeries. After I made a vocational decision three years ago in a direction that does not provide employer-based health insurance, I became aware of how complex and deeply flawed is our health insurance system. Despite countless hours of lost productivity attempting to navigate the private health insurance market, I still find myself blind-sided by unexpected expenses and fighting to get insurance companies to honor their contracts. A simple well check for our daughters has dragged on for nine months! I have become acutely aware of how fragile is both our health and our financial security. The coup de grace was when our daughters' pediatrician shared that she herself has the same struggle! She is leaving private practice in our rural area and joining a large urban medical group because of her own health insurance needs.

All that to say there is no shame in reaching out for help. Many are caught in the same broken system.

Best wishes for your surgery, a speedy recovery, and your next step, whatever that ends up looking like.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #39

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
A nurse that I worked with 15 yrs ago, and occasionally speak to, has offered me and my cat, a spare room to live in until I get things figured out. She has another year of school, so has graciously made me the offer. I now will get at least one hand surgery done, if not both. I will leave my possessions here in storage and live light in Denver.
I still will be asking questions, and appreciate everyone's advice. But at least the pressure is off a little.

Next question: do you use/recommend a campground book and a boondocking reference book to help plan your direction. I don't expect to have good internet with my phone. And I expect having a wifi signal in a Little Guy or Scamp would be too expensive for me.
That's good news! It's always nice to have the oresssure off of big decisions like this! In Denver, there is a very nice teardrop sized trailer being made NEW in the same price as used little guys and scamps....you might call and talk to Hiker trailers and see what they can do for you used.

Traveling, I "rent" wifi with a drink at a mcdonslds, a Starbucks, etc.
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #40

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Lynn, thank you for dedicating you life to caring for others. It's unfair that you are now in this position, but you seem to be handling it well. If you find yourself in Denver, look me up. I'd be happy to have you over for lunch and laundry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TV: 2013 Subaru Forester
Jennifer in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote