Right tail light not working. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Right tail light not working.

I have a ct13. The right turn and brake lights are not working. It used to work but now wires are missing/disconnected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2267933572.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	45344

The amber turn signal (top) has no wires attached and the red has only one.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

California
More...

Name:	image-2880058281.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	45345

This is what the left side (working) looks like.

And when I take out the amber light bulb on the right side there are no connector metal knobs:

Name:	image-3204571641.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	45346

Ideas on out to fix this?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Originally the UHaul trailers only had bullet connectors at the hitch so they could put quicky pinch connectors on the customers cars and plug in any combination of amber turn signals or just red brake and tail lights.

It seems like most UHaul owners only use the bottom red lights and connect one wire to the tail light and one for the brake/ turn signal light.

If the amber light socket is still good on the other side, you might be able to take out the fiber plate with the two wires and nub connectors and transplant it to your nonworking red socket. Be sure there is also a ground wire (white).
Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Like Tom says I am now only using the red part of the tail lights. I had some of the replacement "metal knobs" as we used them on old box trailer lights. What you get is a short piece of wire with the metal contact on the end, remove the bulb, shove the wire through the hole and connect it inside. If you're not using the amber part you could take it out of the socket that still has it. I could send you one if you can wait for the postal service to get it to you. I don't know if Auto parts stores carry just that pigtail as most everyone would replace the whole light or the socket. I would try NAPA as the best bet. Or you can buy a bulb socket and take it apart to get the contact. Another piece of advice if you don't mind. I see you have those "scotchlock" connectors, those blue things where you pinch it on to connect two wires. In my type of work they were a BIG No-No! Especially outside in the weather because they are not sealed and are a big corrosion point. Inside where it's dry may be OK, I know Uhaul used them inside the trailer but I have eliminated them whenever I found them. If you want I'll be happy to send you a couple of those pigtail contacts as I have a lot of used lights I can take some out of. Pm your address if you want. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

California
Thank you for your responses.

The white ground wire is connected on both sides.
I'll have to check, but I think only the amber lights were working. The lenses were so scratched that I couldn't see the red lights. I have polished them and they are currently off so I will be able to see once I can turn the car around and connect the four pin.

Bob, I would love to get parts from you. It would be great to have all the lights working.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Thank you for your responses.

The white ground wire is connected on both sides.
You may want to to verify that the white wires are actually grounded.
Quote:
I'll have to check, but I think only the amber lights were working. The lenses were so scratched that I couldn't see the red lights. I have polished them and they are currently off so I will be able to see once I can turn the car around and connect the four pin.

Bob, I would love to get parts from you. It would be great to have all the lights working.
If you want the amber lights to work, you have a couple of choices. If your tow vehicle also has amber turn signals, you need to run an extra wire and wire it appropriately (ground, left turn, right turn, brake and tail wires). The second option is to use is a converter like this.
Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 56196 Converter: Automotive
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #7

California
Thomas, what does your tail light wiring look like?

Name:	image-669846883.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	45369

This is what my working tail light looks like. I know the amber does the turn signal. I don't know if it shows a steady light when I brake or if they both do. I'll get some one to help me see that.

I guess it is possible that the amber works but the red does not at the moment.

Is it better to get them to both do the same thing or only have the red working?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Thomas, what does your tail light wiring look like?
Well sort of. I had two wires coming from each light bulb and a 5th ground wire on each light assembly.
Quote:
This is what my working tail light looks like. I know the amber does the turn signal. I don't know if it shows a steady light when I brake or if they both do. I'll get some one to help me see that.

I guess it is possible that the amber works but the red does not at the moment.
With 4 wires in the harness at the tongue, the turn signal and brake have to work off the same bulb (unless you have the electric module I linked)

Quote:
Is it better to get them to both do the same thing or only have the red working?
You really need a red tail light and a red brake light as a minimum. Having amber turn signals is optional and a nicety, but requires extra work, as I outlined above.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

New York
I was scolded by another member for having both the amber and red as stop/turn lights, and this is using the 4 pin plug. I now am using just the red part of the light as tail and stop/turn light. But I also have a rear bike rack that I installed tail and stop/turn lights on, so that's double the lighting. I bought that adapter to use the amber part too, but haven't installed it yet. Rather than be tapping into tow vehicle wiring, I got the plug in wiring set up that plugs into the TV wiring, so therefore just a 4 pin plug Bob.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #10

California
I need to have the four work before I add a wire.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #11

California
More...

Thomas, the two wire you have connected are power (red) and either yellow or green to each light - correct?

Why doesn't your amber light up?

Do they blink for a turn and go steady for a brake? Or only brake lights work?

Currently nothing is working!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #12

California
I checked the wiring from the TV.
No power is coming from the 4 pin connector!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
More...

Thomas, the two wire you have connected are power (red) and either yellow or green to each light - correct?
The color code shifts on my trailer from the plug to the original UHaul wiring. At plug, I have green, yellow, brown and white (the standard). UHaul uses white, green and black inside their round black heavy cable. Since I have an electronic adapter to use my ambers for turn signals, my wiring will be slightly different than yours.

Quote:
Why doesn't your amber light up?
My amber does light up. Yours will not because with a 4 pin connector, you must have a common bulb for both stop and turn signals.

Quote:
Do they blink for a turn and go steady for a brake? Or only brake lights work?
When wired properly, your trailer lights work just like your tow vehicle's lights. When both braking and turning one is lit and one blinks.

Quote:
Currently nothing is working!
Bummer
Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
I checked the wiring from the TV.
No power is coming from the 4 pin connector!
Check your fuses.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #15

New York
We need to do a tutorial on using a simple automotive test light, stripping/crimping tool, and various wire connectors. It seems a lot of people aren't familiar with these. If I could figure out how to post pictures I'd do it. [there's something I'm not familiar with]
Old 04-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
could it be the p.o. was a nascar driver? they only turn left....
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We need to do a tutorial on using a simple automotive test light, stripping/crimping tool, and various wire connectors. It seems a lot of people aren't familiar with these. If I could figure out how to post pictures I'd do it. [there's something I'm not familiar with]
Posting pictures is easy. Look below the window where you type in a reply for the Manage Attachments button. Click there and it pulls up a window that lets you browse your computer for the right picture. Double click on the picture file and then click upload. Click preview post to make sure you got the picture you want.

I did post a YouTube link awhile back on how to use a multimeter.

My sympathies to Brooke, as my UHaul wiring was all messed up and it took me a while to figure out what the heck was wrong.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #18

California
I'm pretty good using the test light.

Good idea on checking the fuses!

My SUV's 4pin works so I can use that.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #19

New York
That's too many clicks, and besides I'll have to take pictures first. I still don't understand why Uhaul used a double filament bulb in the amber part of the light, and their color code confuses people too. I think for the average person a test light is the easiest thing to use to find a problem, but it's best not to poke it into the wire insulation as that just makes a place for corrosion to start. I don't see a manage button.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
......... I still don't understand why Uhaul used a double filament bulb in the amber part of the light, and their color code confuses people too......
Did you notice that every part on the trailer is stamped "Property of UHaul Not to be Sold"? The crazy wiring is to confuse any potential thieves.

Quote:
I don't see a manage button.
Low way down below the reply window - you may need to roll your screen a bit.