Rivet Caps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
I want to replace some rivet caps (well, rivets, bases, and caps) on our Scamp. I know a couple of times I've seen an economical source for these posted on the site, but I can't find it. I tried searching on "rivet cap" and after reading through eight pages of results to no avail, I thought it might be more efficient to just ask!

I know Scamp sells a kit, but someone also referenced another source, almost buying in bulk. I hope one of the Search Masters can help find it.

Thanks!
Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Parker,

I believe this was the HINGE SNAP-CAPS® - Hinged Screw Covers source listed in the prior post.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Parker,

I believe this was the HINGE SNAP-CAPS® - Hinged Screw Covers source listed in the prior post.
Greg,

I don't remember them being hinged, but these look like they'll do the trick. The former owner of our Scamp smeared a bunch of caulk around all those on the top (I assumed Scamp didn't do it this way) and it's been on my list of things to clean up for a long time. I've never seen any signs of leaking, past or present, so I guess this was a preventative measure.

Thanks for your reply. My search skills are not up to the task I guess!

Parker
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
(snap caps) http://www.pro-dec.com/
Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Parker
"A day late and a dollar short." Where were you yesterday. I just ordered 100 bases and caps of both sizes for $28 from Pro Dec. I should have posted to find someone to split a larger order since I have more than one trailer to do. For just a little more you get a much better deal. You don't want the hing caps you want the standard caps.
On the trailer I'm working on now I am replacing the larger cabinet rivets with S/S 10-24 pan head screws with one washer on the inside with a nyloc nut. I replaced a coupleof rivets with 3/4" screws yesterday (too long) so I ordered a box of 5/8" screws today. BTY the trailer I'm working on has encolite for the liner.
Scamp uses silicone as a sealer but I chose to use 3M marine sealant. I dab a small blob around the screw hole. Then put the plastic base half way up on the screw and apply sealant to both sides of the cap base an tighten then apply cap and wipe of excess.
I plan on using 1/8" pop rivets on the lighter applications.
FYI: I found some silicone remover in the hwd. dept. at Wally World. I bought a can but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Good luck
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
Check your local ACE Hardware, 3 sizes
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Check your local ACE Hardware, 3 sizes
Aha! Great to hear. I no longer have one locally, but I know where to go!

Thanks,
Parker
Old 09-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Parker
"A day late and a dollar short." Where were you yesterday.
Eddie,

Story of my life, I guess! I'll try the Ace Hdwe source, since I only need a few. I also saw silicone remover at Lowes. I didn't feel like dropping $10 for it, no more that I have to do, but I filed it away for future reference. I have some butyl putty in a roll from the RV place that I think I'll use. I like using butyl caulking (again from RV suppliers) but most of it will dry up in the tube by the time I need another dab.

I'm not even sure I need to replace any rivets, but I figure the easiest way to clean up the caulking mess that's there is to drill out the rivet and start fresh.

Thanks for the post.

Parker