Rivet for Window Cover Hook - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: Boler
NC
Rivet for Window Cover Hook

Hey folks got a problem Iím hoping you can help me with?
One of the hooks that holds the window front cover on my 1975 Boler (the Good Egg) popped out and I wanted to fix it this week Ė so I bought a riveter and some rivets. Drilled out the old rivet from the hook and tried to put a new one in - The rivet held in the hook but not the exterior of the camper - just fell out. Iíve never messed with rivets before this is my first time.

Attached are pictures of the hook and the hole and riveter and rivets. Do I need a bigger rivet or do I need to try to make the hole smaller?

Any advice to get a good would be great I was hoping to use the camper next weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	135512Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1158.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	135513Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1160.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	135514Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1161.JPG
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	135515

HankGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If the picture of you holding the hook shows the new rivet, then the one you used isn't long enough. The other thing to try and do would be to use a backing washer on the inside of the trailer if you have access to where the hole is. The backing washer will give a better grip and spread the force out. Basically you want enough length so when the rivet is set there is a bulb against the inside wall.

Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #3

NC
Thanks Alex, appreciate your reply! - Yes indeed that's the new one.

I'm gonna go out there - drill out the older one and try a longer one - I dont see anything coming thru the ensolite inside - no access to the hole yet - There's a number of weird or questionable rivets on this vintage Boler - cracking the code would be helpful for me.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #4

NC
Tried the longest one in that set, but still didn't anchor in the fiberglass - I'm wondering if the wonky angle - maybe I'm not flush enough with the surface
Old 06-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

New Hampshire
Does the rivet you are using wobble when you put it in the hole or is it tight? Are you using multiple pulls on the rivet or just a single one? Have you tried popping a rivet in some scrap about the same thickness? I once had a cheap rivet gun that was defective and couldn't fully "pop" the rivet. I assume the rivet and hook are flush with the trailer surface as much as possible.

You might want to post a picture of your current failed attempt.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #6

NC
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	135536
I got on a ladder so I can get a better angle a couple of pumps and it popped but then lifted right out as you can see.
Very interesting problem I have here.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW I find that design rivet gun sucks. I upgraded to one that looks like a large bolt cutter. I just couldn’t get enough grip on that style and rivets often got stuck in it.

Rivets come in a myriad of diameters and lengths. You need to make sure you have diameter right and length. Don’t count on it being in that rivet assortment you have.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #8

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
FWIW I find that design rivet gun sucks. I upgraded to one that looks like a large bolt cutter. I just couldnít get enough grip on that style and rivets often got stuck in it.

Rivets come in a myriad of diameters and lengths. You need to make sure you have diameter right and length. Donít count on it being in that rivet assortment you have.

Got it - I see now this design kind of sucks - gonna also look for maybe some thicker ones. Also Adams yes it wobbles around in the hole a bit.
Thanks for taking a look!
Old 06-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #9

Registry
Take a drill bit to determine the diameter of the hole. Each rivet size takes a different size hole. Then buy the right size rivet, get a couple of different lengths.

Amazon sells the better rivet tool. I bought mine at Harbor Freight. Yes, they sell some crappy stuff but their better rivet tool is fine for the home gamer.

I bought this one. Be sure to get their 20% off coupon (you can show it to them on your phone) along with a free item coupon.

If you buy an assortment of rivets, be sure to get multiple diameters AND lengths. In the package you have pictured, there is only one diameter rivet.

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...tle-66422.html
Old 06-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #10

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
The riveter shown in Post #1 appears to only have two tips. The tip needs to be sized to the rivet shaft ( the rivet should not wobble in the hole ).
Old 06-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #11

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
I had a few oversized holes in a project where I needed to put in a new rivet. But I did not want to go up to the next largest size of rivet.

I found a solution in my local Do-It-Best Hardware store. A variety pack of specialty rivets and washers from the Channel Lock Company. These specialty rivets will expand to fill an over size hole and even obround holes and can also be used in a wider variety of grip length so if a little too long they will still pull up and expand properly.

Where a lot of people have the same issues industry often responds with a solution but quite often people are not aware there even is a unique fastener type that can solve issues such as this one. But all you regulars in the forum, pay attention, this is yet another way to solve this problem that you might not be familiar with

Here is the link and the image of the package is shown below.

https://www.doitbest.com/shop/hand-t...ent?SKU=381624

Name:	multigrip rivets.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	135537
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #12

NC

Update: want to thanks so much everybody who chipped in to give me some advice on this. I did end up going to Harbor freight with the 20% off and getting the hand riveter with collection bottle and measuring the hole which ended up being a 5/32 and did not require a washer - but I certainly now have a crash course in rivets and I want to thank you guys very much Ė will be back Iím sureClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1172.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	135539
Old 06-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #13

New Hampshire
Awesome Henry! Glad to help a fellow Egghead.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #14

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Look up "Exploding Pop Rivets" they will hold better and are designed so that the sides separate and expand twice as large as regular pop rivets.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #15

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Awesome Henry! Glad to help a fellow Egghead.

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	135542Attachment 1 cool! Pics of mine attached - had to bend that old hook a little to Get the thing on there but it bent back - guess now that I know how to rivet stuff I could upgrade to the modern cleaner ones Easy enough
Old 06-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #16

NC
Great I will look those up Randy - good info!
Old 06-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #17

New Hampshire
What year is your boler? Mine is is a 1979. Lots of to do stuff for mine, just not a lot of time right now. Here's a pic of mine:

Name:	20170916_150434.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	135545
Old 06-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #18

NC
Hey we are twinsies! Mine's a 1975. I even have that same folding wagon thing.

Where's you get that awning?
Now that we're home a lot, will likely be working on it a lot
Old 06-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #19

New Hampshire
It came with the trailer. The previous owner had the awning made and redid the seat covers in the same fabric. The awning uses the standard keder rail to attach to the trailer. I would get the maker of the awning but I sealed the doorway with plastic while I work on my door. I'm resealing the window and changing out the lock from a Lyster to a Bargman L-400. I know there are lots of people who make those awnings. Just search for Rope and Pole awning.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #20

Registry
I find a decent rivet tool with a large selection of rivets is invaluable if you own a FG trailer. Neither of my two trailers use that many rivets, yet there are still plenty of places where I need them (like redoing the vent on my Trillium, replacing hatches, even some inside modifications).

I never could get enough leverage with the simple handheld model like the OP picture. The bolt cutter style gives me a lot more leverage, and thus far, parts of the rivets don't get stuck.

YMMV.