rivets & closet door latch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: ECO 13'
Arizona
Registry
rivets & closet door latch

Hi!
I've a 13' Scamp, 2013. Help, I'm having a problem with one of the rivets attaching the closet to the roof/ceiling. It came out. How do I fix this?
I called Scamp and was told I'd either need a rivet gun to replace with another rivet or put in a screw, (the head needed to fit in the cap) and secure with a nut. So, I went to the hardware store, got a screw that fit and attached an acorn nut, it was smaller.

This repair has come out already.

The original acorn nut coming off could be caused by another problem I've been attempting to fix. The closet door will not stay closed. I've tried tightening and securing the latch. And, I've searched for a replacement type of latch that would be stronger. (Haven't found what I think is a better latch.) So, I think that, the door swinging open, may have stressed the rivet and acorn nut.
Any ideas on how to fix?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Susan
Susan in Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
If you are saying that the new acorn nut worked its way loose, this is probably caused by road vibration, and is really not avoidable. Apply blue thread-locking glue, then re-attach the acorn nut. Generally when installing machine screws and nuts on the trailer, thread-locking glue must be used. Lock nuts can't be used on fiberglass as they will just grind into and crack the fiberglass. For non-cosmetic attachments in fiberglass, nylock nuts can be used as an alternative.

Others may have suggestions for a better closet door latch.

(Edit: updated several times...)
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Another thread on the same issue:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-69034.html

A long thread with some discussion on the pros and cons of aluminum rivets versus stainless steel bolts:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...c-28989-4.html

My initial thought would be to replace it with another rivet, following some of the hints in the linked threads to get a solid pull. If you have a second failure, then switch to SS bolts and nuts.

I'm skeptical that the door is the cause of the rivets failing. When I got my Scamp (used), the closet door also kept popping open. No issues with the rivets. On close inspection the problem turned out to be a misaligned latch from the factory. I reinstalled the latch with proper alignment and that solved the problem. That was four years ago now.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Try the bolt again using a washer and a nyloc nut on the inside of the trailer . Preferably made of stainless steel .
The closet door on our Scamp used to pop open , I attributed it to the trailer moving / twisting when traveling . I shimmed the latch
with a piece from a match book .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote