Rivets Breaking off to long - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Name: Shaun
Trailer: 92 casita freedom 16
Utah
Rivets Breaking off to long

I have been researching online but still am not having lucking solving my problem. I am using rivets purchased from Little House Customs to replace the rivets in our 1992 casita. I have used two different rivet pullers and the mandrels break off far to long, but they do seam to tighten enough that they are functional. I have been cutting off the excess mandrel but I'm worried if I ever have to replace these rivets again it is going to be very difficult to drill them out.

I would love to hear from those on suggestions of how to get the rivet to break in the proper location.

Thanks in advance.
Swmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I assume they are aluminum rivets. I have been using a lot of the 3/16 size and more than half the mandrels break off near the pullers in the gun. As long as they pull up tight they will be fine. I just cut them off with my grinder. If you have to drill one out, use a center punch first then drill slowly.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Name: Shaun
Trailer: 92 casita freedom 16
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I assume they are aluminum rivets. I have been using a lot of the 3/16 size and more than half the mandrels break off near the pullers in the gun. As long as they pull up tight they will be fine. I just cut them off with my grinder. If you have to drill one out, use a center punch first then drill slowly.

Yes they are the 3/16 inch aluminum rivets. Center punch is a good idea. Right now I cut them off even with the top of the snap cap base.
Swmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Pull twice, break once?

I've found (other projects, not on the FG camper yet), that pulling the stud in small increments and re-gripping the stud each time breaks the stud off flush with, or internal to, the rivet.
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #5

Name: Christine
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
My first try at putting rivets in. #1 is good, #2 stem broke off just outside of the head, #3 only part of the stem broke so it is sticking out. How do I resolve #3 and is #2 ok as is?
Attached Images

Chrissietina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just grab the mandrel with a pair of pliers and bend it back and forth a few times. It will break off. I wouldn't use any kind of punch, lest you want to loosen the rivet's grip.
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
In the future, make sure the riveting tool is pressed firmly on the piece you are riveting and that the mandrel is inserted fully into the rivet tool. Not all rivets or tools are created equal. Some tools and rivets are not good quality. Might be operator error or might be poor quality rivets or tool.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote