Rock Chip Protection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Happy Vongole
Trailer: Surfside
Alberta
Rock Chip Protection

I am in the process of repainting my Surfside. I would like to use a rubberized paint from Endura on the front of the trailer for protection. This paint can then be top-coated with the colour I choose.

Does anybody have any advice as to how much of the front of the trailer I should cover. I have seen that some people only protect the bottom edge whereas others go right up to the bellyband in the front and then taper it just around the corners.

I am just not sure where the rocks are typically hitting trailers and making a mess.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks!
Happy Vongole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Looking forward to replies. I may want to do this. I wonder if a thin coat of rubber will provide much protection. Maybe diamond aluminum sheet might be better?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #3

Name: Adam
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Looking forward to replies. I may want to do this. I wonder if a thin coat of rubber will provide much protection. Maybe diamond aluminum sheet might be better?
How you would mount the aluminum sheet to fiberglass?
BC_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
The same stuff used to mount solar panels on the roof. My installer used something that would result in the fiberglass itself to rip apart rather than the adhesive. I don't recall the name of the stuff but I will ask when I go to pick up my trailer. Although I have also heard that 3M 5000 will also do the trick.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vongole View Post
I am in the process of repainting my Surfside. I would like to use a rubberized paint from Endura on the front of the trailer for protection. This paint can then be top-coated with the colour I choose.

Does anybody have any advice as to how much of the front of the trailer I should cover. I have seen that some people only protect the bottom edge whereas others go right up to the bellyband in the front and then taper it just around the corners.

I am just not sure where the rocks are typically hitting trailers and making a mess.

I covered the bottom one fourth of my Trillium 4500 with Herculiner. That's where most of the existing chips were on this 40 year old trailer. That was sufficient for my trailer with my tow vehicle. Your need for coverage may be completely different. I was towing with 2011 Ford Escape and mostly on paved roads.

EDIT: When I bought my Trillium 4500, the fiberglass body had a surprising amount of rock chip damage to the lower front and to the bottom area behind the axle (hole large enough to put my hand through). So its a good idea to protect against chipping, particularly if you frequent dirt and gravel roads.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:14 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
Aluminum diamond plate would definitely work. PO of my Boler 13 (since sold) had diamond plate installed as a chip guard. At some point I will add chip guard to my Boler 17.

3M makes a very high bond two sided tape [3M VHB] which is used to mount solar panels. Probably could use to mount diamond plate.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior

I used this product and was very pleased. If you want an off white color, you need a container of white pigment and a container of one of the tan colors. You need only a small amount of the tan but will use the entire white color. Two coats are necessary and you'll need to split the product into two containers for the first and second coats. Also split the hardener into two containers. Only add hardener when you are ready to apply the coating.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #8

Alberta
John in Michigan - thanks so much for sharing which area you covered. Did you cover the bottom one fourth of the entire trailer or just the front? For the most part we will be on paved roads and plan to have a rock tamer on our tow vehicle. I just want to make sure that after all the work I have put into the prep and paint job that the trailer does not get destroyed after our first trip.

I am thinking of using a product from Endura Paint called Impact 321. It is a polyurethane/liquid rubber hybrid coating that provides an abrasion resistant finish. It can be tinted or topcoated with the color the entire trailer will be.

https://www.endurapaint.com/product/impact-321/

Despite the durability of aluminum diamond sheet, I think I would prefer a paintable product as I prefer that look.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Happy Vongole, I also like the idea of applying a chip guard coat that can be overcoated with the paint that's being applied to the rest of the trailer. (I am considering do it this way on my Boler 17.)

I only coated the bottom quarter of the front of the trailer. You can just barely see it in my profile picture of my Trillium 4500. That made sense for the shape of the Trillium 4500. You could go a bit higher on your camper, maybe the bottom 1/3 of the front.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Trillium 4500 chip guard pic

Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
trillium front.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 07:19 AM   #11

Michigan
Registry
rocker panel coating that can be painted

3M Rocker Panel Coating and SEM Heavy Texture Chip Guard can be applied over prepped and primed area, under the finish color paint.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #12

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I have tried a Rock Guard product that Canadian Tire sells it's easy to "touch-up" but I would like to find something more durable..
Old 08-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #13

Alberta
I hope to get my rock guard on this weekend. If the weather cooperates I will send pics and comments about the Endura product I am using.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #14

Name: Danny
Trailer: 2017 R Pod 179
Nevada
I’ve used this to make floor mats for my ‘78 FJ40 and found it to be very durable. Plus it’s easier to use than aluminum. If I needed a rock guard, I’d use this.

They sell it in various lengths and also sell a 1/4” thickness, but that’s overkill.

https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Mats-Diamond-Flooring-Thickness/dp/B079MD9QTM
pngunme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I daubed Herculiner on the bottom front of Kermit, & tapered the side out, the black matched the trim banding nicely. Need to re-do it every couple of years but the stuff is readily available at my local hardware store, normally used for truckbed lining. A MESS to apply but works great
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1103e.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	137205
susan b. davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I used raptor tinted the same color.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
2F228793-8367-4E5C-9117-67AD811149AF.jpg  
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
Another option is to use an automotive paint protection film. 3M makes some pretty good ones these days. Many of them have self-healing properties.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2322927&rt=rud
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
John: The front of your Trillum looks great.....nice job.

Mike
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vongole View Post

You might consider Rhino Liner or Line-X, etc professionally applied.
Jerry Laskody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #20

Alberta
John. This looks great. Thanks for sharing!