Rocking Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2024, 10:19 AM   #1

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
British Columbia
Rocking Trailer

Hello all. I have a 13' 1974 Trillium trailer that tends to wobble about when I move around in it. Larger trailers have jacks under them to stop that, but is that even possible in these small fiberglass trailers? Putting jacks under the axle isn't going to stop that motion, is it? And if not, it wouldn't be safe to put one (or two) on the body of the trailer as it could damage it, correct?
NitKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:01 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You should be using stabilizers, yes. If none are built in, the pyramid style portable jacks are an easy and inexpensive place to start. You’ll probably need the shortest size you can find, but check your frame height at the back. Two is enough for a small trailer. Put a couple under the frame near the back, snug them up, then crank up the tongue jack 6-8 turns to take some weight off the axle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3496.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	151523

There are other types that can be mounted permanently, and some people like two at the front as well, but that’s not essential.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:29 AM   #3

British Columbia
Rocking Trailer

Thank you, Jon AZ. I purchased a set like in your picture when I first got the trailer, but they are too tall, so I'll look for itsy-bitsy-teeny ones.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:41 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitKnit View Post
Thank you, Jon AZ. I purchased a set like in your picture when I first got the trailer, but they are too tall, so I'll look for itsy-bitsy-teeny ones.
You could also use a pair of scissors jacks. They’ll fit under just about anything. For a more permanent and convenient solution, BAL stabilizers are probably your best bet.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Yup. I removed the two rear-mounted Attwood stabizers, which always were problematic at best, and welded 4 steel plates to the underside of the frame. I now have four 7,500 Lb. scissor jacks, (yeah, I know it's overkill for a small trailer, but that's just the way I roll,) with two of them just behind the axle, (and it will also work great to change a flat if it happens,) and two more on the front A frame. This gives me 3 different angles, so it virtually eliminates the possibility of the "Domino Effect."

https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#gen (Scroll down about halfway to get to the mounting plates.)

Copied From Little House Customs store web-site:

SCISSOR JACK MOUNTING PLATES
Wish you had the fabulous BAL 7500lb scissor jacks but can't make it to Texas? We have a solution. We have our 1/4Ē thick steel mounting plates laser cut to fit the BAL 24002D jacks perfectly. This is the ideal jack as it's easy to deploy with a cordless drill, is strong enough to lift the trailer to change a flat and with 4 of them on the ground, the trailer is rock steady. If you have a high lift axle and mount them according to our included instructions, ground clearance will never be an issue.

The plate fits the jacks perfectly and the head of the bolt, when the plate is properly centered, clears the frame.

These plates MUST be welded on so your local welder can help you with this project. After welding on the mounting plate, the jack simply bolts to it using the included 3/8Ē bolts.

While we stock the scissors here in the shop, we don't sell them mail order since freight is high and many of the online resellers have special deals on them so shop around for the best buy on the jacks themselves.

Our standard kit (as pictured) comes with 2 plates, hardware, and instructions. If you wish to install 4 plates please order two kits.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These plates are made for the BAL 24002D jacks, and we have no idea if they fit any other brand. The BAL's are the best for our Casitas.

Scissor Jack Mounting Plates Kit $29.95 Add to Cart
Attached Thumbnails
frontjackstep.JPG   rearjack.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:55 AM   #6

British Columbia
Rocking Trailer

Thanks again, Jon AZ. I have a scissor jack for my vehicle so I will just purchase another for the trailer.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:20 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Scissor jacks are great, especially for lifting the rig's weight to change a tire or for some serious leveling.
That said what I did was to put four of the extending stabilizer hacks on my trailer with the two at the back descending in the side ways orientation and two under the tongue in the fore and aft orientation. These are the stabilizers I bought for FrankenScamp. BAL 23025 Light Trailer Stabilizing Jack - 17" (Set of 2)

This tends to lessen the wobble due to the flexibility of each set of jacks.
I did have to add some steel angle iron to have a place to mount the rear of the jacks that would be less of a problem with the heavier duty scissor jacks mounted directly to the frame.
The drawback compared to the scissor jacks is that these are not jacks! and I have bent one being over zealous in trying to level the trailer with one of the rear stabilizers.
My guess is that these are a little less wobbly than scissor jacks and definitely better than the Attwoods (which I also had installed in the same format.)
These came with a 3/4" hand crank, but I use a 3/4" socket on a rechargeable drill to make it quick and easy!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:31 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: Escape 13
British Columbia
I also use the pyramid type. Yes they were too tall for my trailer as well. Took them to a friendly welding shop and had them lowered to fit my trailer. I typically only use them when I'm staying for more than just one night. But they do work well when I use them.
COMSULT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 12:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
My solution was to use 4 swivel toung jacks attached to frame.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7466.jpg   IMG_7465.jpg  

Francis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:51 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I shortened some of the pyramid type stabilizers when we had our Uhaul camper. I've since found some Stromberg Carlson pyramid stabilizers that are shorter and made of a plastic type material. They may be no longer be in production now.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 07:12 AM   #11

British Columbia
Rocking Trailer

Thank you to everyone who answered my post! All helpful.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:58 PM   #12

Name: Lance
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 1988 B13.5
Alberta
I built myself a stabilizer system out of electrical conduit. I don't have a picture on my phone. If you want the exact picture I can take one at home after work. The commercial version I found. I am including a picture of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20240612-155431.jpg  
Drtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:56 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
In my opinion to reduce rocking you need to brace side to side and fore and aft as well.
Whatever method you use I think that stiffness is much greater in one direction and not so much in the cross axis.
This is why I put four on, two in the rear and two in the front, ,each pair at right angles to the other.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote