Roll and Tip Painting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Roll and Tip Painting

Hello DIYers.
I watched this pretty cool video on Roll and Tip painting on a FG boat. I have decided that I will paint my Egg with the suggested Interlux marine paint using the Roll and Tip technique. Professional painting or new Gelcoat is out of the $$$ at this time.
For those who have done this procedure would you agree with this 3 min video for the process and your observations? Also in your opinion do you agree that the above product fills the bill or have you tried others AND if you did use the above how much paint did it take to cover your egg properly. I have a 16' to work with.
Thanks for any input and sorry for all the Qs. Just trying to map out the big picture strategies and $$$ for my fixed income restoration project.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 73 boler 13'
Alberta
Cool

I have also decided to paint my egg with Brightside. and plan to start as soon as the temperature in the garage warms up for the spring.
I have panted the closet and kitchen cabinets and they turned out fantastic.
I applied 2 coats of Pre-Kote primer and 3 coats of Brightside. The primer and Brightside were thinned about 5-8% with Interlux solvent 333.
A foam roller and foam brush was used to roll and tip. I like the idea of using 1 liter tins as this keeps the product in good condition with minimum risk of contamination. I can also return unopened tins. I found that the prep work is the key ingredient to a great looking surface.
rozyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This video blew me away. As the paint dries, it becomes like a mirror. I'd definitely consider this technique as opposed to paying for a professional spray job.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
This video blew me away. As the paint dries, it becomes like a mirror. I'd definite consider this technique as opposed to paying for a professional spray job.
Tom the more I think about it, it would be easy to test on a small surface area that I pulled out. I have the closet door and the seats that I am using for templates for real wood (well at least real plywood).

I can run a mini-test on a small surface area and see if it comes out like his does. I'm sure the video isnt doctored and several other videos show the roll and tip and others on the forum talk about it too. I would have no problems doing a smaller Egg the way he does it.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I did this same process on my Hunter Compact-II with excellent results.

However, as the objective of the "Tip" part (at least with the Briteside product, is to: a) pull out bubbles and, b) Create "furrows" to allow the self leveling property of the paint to work, I would only use a fine bristle dry brush and not a foam brush as some have suggested.

For a 13' "smaller" FGRV, it took almost 2 full quarts of undercoat and a gallon of color coat to paint. The gallon can is a lot less expensive than 4 quart cans.

BTW: The Briteside product seems to be designed to work best on fiberglass, I don't know how appropriate it is for wood surfaces, check with the mfgs web pages.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

Texas
Thanks Bob, that gives me an idea on how much product to budget for. I know everyone talks about, and I will do, is surface prep. It's become my mantra. "surface prep - surface prep - surface prep"
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #7

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I've painted several boats with Brightsides using the roll and tip method. You can get smooth high gloss results. A few notes: it smells awful but it is hard to get ventilation without introducing dust, every speck of dust will show in the gloss finish, the paint must be thinned with Interlux 333 about 10 - 15% to get it to flow, it will be quite a bit thinner than 'normal' paint and will run on vertical surfaces easily, the roller is to get a uniform THIN coat laid down quickly, brush it out gently right away, the process is easier with two people, a roller and a brusher, use a 4" roller, if doing this solo brush after each rollerful of paint, one coat won't cover, two starts to look good, three are necessary for a good job, wet sand with 400 grit between coats, white and black cover the best, other colors not so much, it would take 5-6 coats of bright red to cover.

Interlux has a great website full of tech info. Read the Brightsides info. Shop around, the price can vary from $30 to $40 per quart depending where you buy. I get it from Hamilton Marine, Jamestown Distributors or Wholesale Marine.

There are other two part finishes that are supposed to work even better, glossier and harder, but I never felt the extra cost and hassle of mixing and then discarding leftover paint was worth it.

Good luck.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

How clean an environment do you need to paint with this technique? Would an average garage be adequate?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #9

Texas
Good question Tom. I know when I was doing some sanding I went to Lowes and bought some of that plastic film paint drop cloth that was like 20'X20' and probably 1mil thick. I strung it up all over and made a big rectangle to keep the dust out of other areas. I was thinking maybe I could make my own "paint booth" by doing the same thing to keep dust from invading the area. Sounds good on paper.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Good question Tom. I know when I was doing some sanding I went to Lowes and bought some of that plastic film paint drop cloth that was like 20'X20' and probably 1mil thick. I strung it up all over and made a big rectangle to keep the dust out of other areas. I was thinking maybe I could make my own "paint booth" by doing the same thing to keep dust from invading the area. Sounds good on paper.
I was thinking along the same lines. I can see dust falling from above or being kicked up off the floor.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I applied Briteside to my Hunter Compact-II outside, under a 12x12 canopy, in the warm California sun. All I did was keep the ground wet to reduce any dust and use a tac-rag to wipe down areas immediately before using the roller. If there was a dust problem I didn't see it with my somewhat jaded vision.....

BTW: I got a gallon of Briteside white for $88. That was a special sale price, but a gallon can cost less than even 3 quart cans.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
A good trick to help reduce the dust getting kicked up from the floor is to wet the floor we did this when painting in boat yards. DON'T get any moisture on the trailer. I also disagree with the comment not to use a foam brush, I have done many yachts and tried both, with the best job using a foam brush. Good luck with the project and please post pictures of the finished product.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #13

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
This painting technique works well. Expensive boat paint is not absolutely needed. I used cheap rust paint. The prep work takes a lot of time. 2-3 thin coats at a minimum is best. I did not have problems with dust but I did have issues with insects and cottonwood fluff. It was a lot of work but it made a big difference in my trailers looks.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
That's pretty well the process that I used on our Boler. It's now been about 5 since we painted it and it still looks good. We have been pleased with the results. I do have a bit of sag in one area where I didn't roll it out enough or applied too much paint.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler
We just did this on our Boler, using boat paint from Lowes. Here are a few pictures. I think it turned out GREAT!!!

(errr.. thought I attached pictures, but don't see them???)
Stacy Crotser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Crotser View Post
We just did this on our Boler, using boat paint from Lowes. Here are a few pictures. I think it turned out GREAT!!!

(errr.. thought I attached pictures, but don't see them???)
I usually have to go to advanced at the bottom and then down to management and then browse and upload. Never had to much luck with the insert picture option. IMO
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I usually have to go to advanced at the bottom and then down to management and then browse and upload. Never had to much luck with the insert picture option. IMO
I do exactly this. What URL do I use for a picture on my computer?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #18

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I do exactly this. What URL do I use for a picture on my computer?
Cant do it that way unless you have a photobucket or similar external account

Go down to were it says Post Quick reply and to the right is GO ADVANCED

Scroll down midway to Attach File section and hit the manage attachments
hit it and it will bring up another screen to browse to your pictures on your computer or phone or camera if cabled up.

then hit the upload key and wait a few til they are all up. It will tell you when. Close the window and scroll down and hit submit post
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler
Let's try this again with pictures... Boat paint from Lowe's... Can't tell a whole lot in the pictures, but it really DOES have a very nice shine to it.

Thanks for the help in posting the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
photo1.jpeg   photo2.jpeg  

Stacy Crotser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #20

Texas
I think it looks great and perhaps after a few weeks of curing you could do the ZEP coating which is on another thread. I do see the shine on the bottom photo.
If you Rest, You Rust

Tags
casita, painting