roller awning for a 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Has anyone added a roller awning to their trailer? I'm thinking of buying a 10 footer for our Boler 1700 but I'm concerned about how much reinforcement I'm going to need on the shell for the main track as well as for the arms. I envision possibly needing to add support to the frame for the side arms...
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Herb
I thought about the same thing.The awning rail and awning on my previous 17 Boler was on real secure.I felt that if i changed i would have to put some form of brace from frame to bottom area where foot of awning would be.I also felt but could be wrong here that when awning was deployed i would put foot ends on the ground and only have them attached to trailer when travelling.
When i did use my awning i had it up in some pretty heavy winds and it stayed securied with no signs of any stress.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Has anyone added a roller awning to their trailer? I'm thinking of buying a 10 footer for our Boler 1700 but I'm concerned about how much reinforcement I'm going to need on the shell for the main track as well as for the arms. I envision possibly needing to add support to the frame for the side arms...
You mean like what Reace is adding to the Escape line...or Gina has on her Burro?? Maybe either, or both, can tell you what extra reinforcement has been done to make it secure
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'll leave the discussion of the special order curved legs to others...

My 16' Fiber Stream has essentially the same awning Gina's 17' Burro has, but with straight legs, since it has straight sides...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fred__s_Awning.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	7920

The main track won't need reinforcement. Mine is just rivited thru the shell, using every third mounting hole, or one rivit every 9 inches or so. The rivits are different, splitting and spreading in a 3-point star pattern on the inside.

The top and bottom attachment points for the legs were reinforced with 4" x 4" x 1/8" aluminum square plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Gina__s_Awning.jpg  
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
My Fiber Stream has essentially the same awning Gina's 17' Burro has, but with straight legs, since it has straight sides...

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

The main track won't need reinforcement. Mine is just rivited thru the shell, using every third mounting hole, or one rivit every 9 inches or so. The rivits are different, splitting and spreading in a 3-point star pattern on the inside.

The top and bottom attachment points for the legs were reinforced with 4" x 4" x 1/8" aluminum square plates.
Perfect information. Thanks. I know exactly the rivets too.

I'm awaiting a quote on a 10foot now...
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Mine is a 10 foot with the curved arms. I actually havent really checked how the lower arm mounts are attached, other than there is a big beefy block on the outside. I suppose I should crawl into the cubbys and find out

Because I tether my dogs, I have never had the suppot down on the ground, or they would get tangled in it. When thy are not with me, I will try it.

Fred, I fixed the mount after borrowing a ladder at San Antonio, and the whole thing is sturdy and works great now. No need to replace. A 10 cent nut and bolt did the job. After feeling it now, I believe that the pin has been broken since before I bought it. It makes a huge difference and it seems solid as a rock now.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
This week-end as we were packing up at Harrison Hot Springs we each did battle with our various awnings. A number of us waited to see the one Reace has on the Escape go down... can tell you that the one on the Escape went down easy without a fight. Left a few of us wonder if the same type would work on our trailers. If I was in the market for an awning that is the one I would be looking at... sorry can't recall the name on it.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'm awaiting a quote on a 10foot now...
Mine is a 10' Carefree of Colorado [b]Fiesta, and it was $550.00 installed (plus sales tax)
Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Mine is a 10' Carefree of Colorado [b]Fiesta, and it was $550.00 installed (plus sales tax)
Fred you have jogged my memory... I seem to think that may be what is on the Escape.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote