Roof Air Conditioner, can it be done?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1977 Triple E
Ontario
Roof Air Conditioner, can it be done??

Hello

I am determined to place air conditioning in my 1977 14' Surfside.

As a DIY project a low profile Domitec (125 lbs.) air conditioner seems to be the best solution?

I would really appreciate any advise, examples of success's or disasters.

Also, any information on small portable AC and DIY Swamp Cooler would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Bill
William Urie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #2

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Urie View Post
Hello

I am determined to place air conditioning in my 1977 14' Surfside.

As a DIY project a low profile Domitec (125 lbs.) air conditioner seems to be the best solution?

I would really appreciate any advise, examples of success's or disasters.

Also, any information on small portable AC and DIY Swamp Cooler would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Bill
In the Casita's there are metal supports in the ceiling side to side to support the weight. If there aren't any supports I think it would break out with all the movement of the trailer.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
In the Casita's there are metal supports in the ceiling side to side to support the weight. If there aren't any supports I think it would break out with all the movement of the trailer.
35 years ago+ Scamp13s used two small oak "rafters" to support the roof when adding A/C aftermarket . They worked well and are simple enough to fashion and install if needed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
As Floyd has posted putting in low profile rafters would be important as would lining them up with inside cabinets and or supports to carry the load down to the floor. Allot more work than just cutting a hole and plopping the air conditioner on the roof. You would also look into the relationship of the weight over the axle and how you will get power up to the air conditioner unit. This single task gets into the whole trailer package. Interior, exterior, structural, electrical (existing and new)

Remember when you mold in your structural support for the air conditioner that you prop up the roof and correct any sagging that may have creeped in over time or sagging by added weight so you don't have low puddle spots around the air conditioner just waiting to leak.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote