Roof vent replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Boler
Yukon
Roof vent replacement

I am replacing the original roof vent in my Boler with a 14” one from here: https://vintagetrailersupply.com/14-...d-lid-vts-280/
Cutting the hole larger was not a problem and is very straight if I do say so myself. However, I need to know if I should make a frame and fibreglass it to the roof to account for the extra depth? If so how do I do that?
eldame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #2

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
My suggestion is to just build a nice wooden “spacer” of the necessary thickness .. Secure it to the ceiling from the outside with a couple of screws.. Dry position vent and drill holes for vent screws through fibreglass roof.. Place butyl tape to cover the screws and in position for vent.. Position vent on top of butyl and screw it in place utilizing the predrilled holes and into the wooden spacer.. Suggestion, build and finish the interior spacer before you do the install because it will be really tricky to finish it nicely once installed..

Hope this helps.
Chris from Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
One suggestion on the "spacer" if I may please. Consider using "vinyl plank" from any of the lumber stores. Seals with caulking much better than wood, goes well with fiberglass and no water issues! I've made windows with this stuff, works great!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
I modified the vent with dremel to fit after install in thinner roof space. Hole was already 14" square. No spacer
Old 05-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Since I am fond of fibreglass, I would, (will?) make a frame out of pultruded fibreglass. Available at your neighborhood Grainger:
Canada: https://www.grainger.ca/search?isWil...er&pagesize=48

US: https://www.grainger.com/search/raw-...als/fiberglass
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote