Rope and Pole Awning Water Resistant? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Mark in Comox's Avatar
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I had, (and got rid of,) a Fiamma crank-out awning that came with my trailer. I hated it from day one! I sold it, and installed a simple extruded "C" channel called a Keder rail on the side of my trailer, and I now have a slide-in rope & pole awning that I love. Despite what some folks say about being hard to set up or use, I have never encountered their problems. I can start it in the track and pull it into place single-handed, although having two people would be a little bit easier, but not required. I like it because it is lightweight, folds up and goes into a storage sack less than the size of a basketball, only weighs about 7-8 Lbs, and best of all, it actually keeps the rain out, and especially from running down the side of the trailer because there is no gap to contend with. If your looking for a good rope & pole awning, I would highly recommend Marti's Awnings. She makes nice quality awnings, great selection of materials, patterns and design features. She's very big with the vintage trailer folks too.
Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings

I have one of her awnings and I love it. And I think it looks good too.
Just saw this post. I am looking at the Keder rail and wondering what you got. Is this the PVC rail? If so, how did you mount it? (Drilling holes makes me nervous)
Thought about butyl tape...
__________________

Mark in Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
Mark in Comox's Avatar
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Comox View Post
Just saw this post. I am looking at the Keder rail and wondering what you got. Is this the PVC rail? If so, how did you mount it? (Drilling holes makes me nervous)
Thought about butyl tape...
Sorry read down further and saw more details... Can you tell me which channel size rail you used? They list 2 sizes on the Keder site....
__________________

Mark in Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,573
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Comox View Post
Just saw this post. I am looking at the Keder rail and wondering what you got. Is this the PVC rail? If so, how did you mount it? (Drilling holes makes me nervous)
Thought about butyl tape...
My Keder rail is made from a 10 ft. piece of extruded aluminum. I drilled and mounted it on 1 ft. centers, except the last one which is only 6". (My whole rail is only 7'6" long, because that is all the flat un-curved outer surface I had at the height I mounted it, (6'8",) and I used 1/4" X 20 stainless steel machine screws with large fender washers and nylock nuts inside. Be sure to goop your rail with a good bead of sealant, especially in the mounting holes, or else apply a strip of Butyl Rubber double adhesive tape to the back of it, (like the stuff they bed the windows with.) This is of course if you're not squeamish to drilling holes in the trailer, which has never been a problem for me, but some folks dread the thought of creating holes in their trailer, (even though there are probably a hundred there already,) and so they opt for the VHB (very high bond) tape to mount their rails with. I personally like knowing I've got good solid stainless steel nuts and bolts holding mine, but that's just personal choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail2.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Mark in Comox's Avatar
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
My Keder rail is made from a 10 ft. piece of extruded aluminum. I drilled and mounted it on 1 ft. centers, except the last one which is only 6". (My whole rail is only 7'6" long, because that is all the flat un-curved outer surface I had at the height I mounted it, (6'8",) and I used 1/4" X 20 stainless steel machine screws with large fender washers and nylock nuts inside. Be sure to goop your rail with a good bead of sealant, especially in the mounting holes, or else apply a strip of Butyl Rubber double adhesive tape to the back of it, (like the stuff they bed the windows with.) This is of course if you're not squeamish to drilling holes in the trailer, which has never been a problem for me, but some folks dread the thought of creating holes in their trailer, (even though there are probably a hundred there already,) and so they opt for the VHB (very high bond) tape to mount their rails with. I personally like knowing I've got good solid stainless steel nuts and bolts holding mine, but that's just personal choice.
Thanks for the info Greg. I’m going to see how well I can hide nuts on the inside of the trailer. So it sounds like you used bolts not screws, is that right? If so, do you remember how long they need to be? I’m not sure how thick the skin and interior padding is.....
Mark in Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,573
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Comox View Post
Thanks for the info Greg. I’m going to see how well I can hide nuts on the inside of the trailer. So it sounds like you used bolts not screws, is that right? If so, do you remember how long they need to be? I’m not sure how thick the skin and interior padding is.....
I'm not familiar with the interior layout of your trailer, but the Casitas have overhead cabinets around the perimeter of the upper wall/ceiling curved area. I mounted my rail so that all the mounting screws would be inside the cabinets and out of sight for aesthetics.

I used Phillips Pan Head 1/4" X 20 stainless steel machine screws, 1" in length, with stainless fender washers and Nylock nuts on the inside.

Here's a couple of pics of the overhead cabinets and one of a washer and nut inside the cabinet holding my Keder rail.
Attached Thumbnails
microwave outlet.JPG   038 (Medium).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
Mark in Comox's Avatar
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Posts: 15
Perfect, thanks for showing me this Greg! I’ll let you know how I get on...haven’t ordered the rail yet, so will be a while..
__________________

Mark in Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Pole and rope Awning for 1975 Trillium 1300 PrettylilTrilly Classified Archives 6 05-12-2015 09:25 PM
Update for pole and rope awning Tom Trostel Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 02-25-2015 11:06 AM
rope and pole awning Tonnie Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 07-02-2014 08:03 AM
Rope and Pole Awning Safety Ideas Otters Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 20 04-22-2013 03:50 PM
How-to Video on Rope & Pole Awning Pam Garlow General Chat 2 09-02-2012 06:30 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×