Rotten egg smell in Scamp 5er water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Rotten egg smell in Scamp 5er water heater

Our 2011 Scamp 5er hot water smells like rotten eggs. I tried the Attwood solution of filling the water heater with 2 parts white vinegar to one part water about a month ago and now the smell is back. Any suggestions on getting rid of the smell and on preventing its return will be appreciated.

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dave have you filled you tanks from water from a well and left water in the tank when not in use? If so that could be the problem. It's not uncommon when a rig sits a while without being used and have something other than city chlorinated water sitting in the tank. There's a bacteria that thrives in warm, dark, humid places and gives off a rotten egg smell - actually due to the sulfur in the water. I normally dump out my hot water tank after every trip. On one trip this summer I was in a big hurry and I didnt do it and I had been at a campground with well water. The trailer sat for two weeks in hot weather and when I ran the hot water tank the rotten egg smell was bad - first and only time I have had that happen. Use the method in the link below and it hasnt returned. I left the bleach and water mixture in all the lines & tanks for 24 hours.

Here is some good info on how to clean out the hot water tank due to rotten egg smell from the RV Forum.

Hope that helps.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
David,

The hydrogen sulfide that creates the smell only occurs when the water sits for a period of time. It also happens in the boating world. In that situation, since junking a tank of water and refilling isn't as easy as it is with an RV, boaters tend to put up with the short term odour knowing it goes away as soon as a little new water goes through the system.

Does the odour go away after you run some water or is it the whole tank that's affected?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Thanks Carol H and Ron in BC

The smell comes only when the hot water valve is opened. Seemsto be in the water heater.

Thanks,

David
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
The smell comes only when the hot water valve is opened. Seemsto be in the water heater.

Thanks,

David

It is a common problem and one that I had in my home with a well. I found temporary relief by running a little bleach through the system but found long term relief when I took out the sacrificial anode.

Clean Water Store: How To Eliminate Water Heater Odors
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tom, your correct a bad anode could do it as well but as the trailer is only a year old I would be surprised if that was the cause.... but you never know!

David if you dont already own a Water Heater Tank Rinser you may want to get one. Due to the design of the hot water tank sediment tends to stay in the bottom of the tank after draining and the rinser helps a lot to get the tank completely cleaned out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #7

Massachusetts
No diode??

I don't think my Attwood GGA7 six-gallon water heater has a diode, none listed on parts list. Camco offers an aluminum diode to extend the life of an Attwood heater. It seems to replace the drain plug.

I'll get the rinser that Carol H recommends, do the bleach flush, and drain the heater after every trip. Hopefully that will solve the problem!

Thanks,

David
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The sacrificial anodes in home water heaters are made of magnesium and with well water will sometimes cause a rotten egg smell . The anode for an Attwood water heater is an aluminum alloy . I installed a Camco anode in my Scamp water heater , no rotten egg smell , the anode has a built in drain valve which is very handy , and it is cheaper to replace the anode than the water heater.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp