Rubber hose chewed off - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Saw the name of the bird feeder and had to check, made in Knowlton, Quebec or Lac Brome. Its my wife's home town Probably not too far far from you.

BTW the mother in law used to winter in Benson Arizona in her motorhome and always had Christmas lights under her rig to deter the pack rats.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
What chwed your hose?

I saw a documentary on beavers--they will gnaw on aluminum rowboats where people have been touching--they love the salt from our hands.

So I have to wonder if you've been touching your hose?

I think if it's beavers, even metal-plating it wouldn't help, and can only suggest that you just stop touching your hose and quit blaming your wife, although if she were more cooperative, maybe you would have something else to do with your hands besides touching that hose.

Just wanted to go in a slightly different direction here...you have much advice not only on hoses and rats but also on birds and feeders and squirrels...it's like visiting Disneyland, so many little critters around here today!

BEST
Kai and Paul and the pug girls
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Got a radio? Find a classic rap station. Drives the little critters crazy. Disco works too but nobody seems to play that anymore. Unfortunate. Staying alive staying alive.
I heard that a radio tuned to a classical music station helps keep away certain kinds of "street rats".?.?
I keep varmint away with mothballs in a cloth bag, hung uner the hood or under the trailer. They seem to work, although I cannot prove thre negative.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:10 AM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I don't know how this thread got twisted around to bird feeders. I don't have a problem with tree rats getting into the bird feeders. .
Steve Dunham mentioned his bird feeder. That's what I was responding to.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:12 AM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I heard that a radio tuned to a classical music station helps keep away certain kinds of "street rats".?.?
Only if the fat lady sings.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #26

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I've tried several types of feeders through the years but the pellet gun is the only thing I've found that works. I've wondered about a remotely operated shocker mounted on the feeder. A dog shock collar might work but they are kind of expensive. Maybe someone who has one could try it.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
My older brother commented to me today that he had rodents chew the wiring on his Pinto in the '70s, and a niece's Chevy in the early '80s sustained damage to plastic parts by red squirrels. Ever the skeptic, he pointed out that the link comes from a group that profits from petroleum sales, and he wondered if there might be an ulterior motive lurking within the petroleum industry to reduce inroads made by competing biodegradable plastics.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #28

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
What chwed your hose?

I saw a documentary on beavers--they will gnaw on aluminum rowboats where people have been touching--they love the salt from our hands.

So I have to wonder if you've been touching your hose?

I think if it's beavers, even metal-plating it wouldn't help, and can only suggest that you just stop touching your hose and quit blaming your wife, although if she were more cooperative, maybe you would have something else to do with your hands besides touching that hose.

Just wanted to go in a slightly different direction here...you have much advice not only on hoses and rats but also on birds and feeders and squirrels...it's like visiting Disneyland, so many little critters around here today!

BEST
Kai and Paul and the pug girls
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Wouldn't your car be flooded if it was a beaver problem?
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #29

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
jerrybob,

Seems like whatever is chewing it might cause flooding if they were diligent enough. Yeah, you're right, beavers would be so much larger and able to take down trees that it would seem like they'd do a more thorough job of gnawing through.

Probably not beavers. But as long as we're talking about animals...very much enjoying the speculation about the animals.

Kai
Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #30

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Salt on rubber and plastic parts due to touching is an interesting thought. I probably did touch the rubber hose on the Honda gen. I did not see any intrusion into the engine compartment (while camping). At home we have tree squirrels, raccoons, mice, wood rats, Opossum, rabbits, but they have not bothered the vehicles, at least 2 of which are outside 24/7.

We also feed birds 2x: Feed the birds with seeds, feed the raptors the birds. Both gotta live...come to think of it, feed the neighbors cats the birds also. Cats kill more songbirds than any other predator, worldwide (read this somewhere, source unknown).

We store our sunflower seed in plastic garbage cans in the garage, which has poison traps positioned throughout. Have not had anything at all get into the plastic cans.

Did have plastic garbage cans outside for kitchen waste and household refuse, and they were destroyed by raccoons so I went with metal cans and tie the tops down: have not had any problems since.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote