Run 12V TV/monitor off of 12V outlet or via inverter? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Your 12VDC Battery.
OR, Purchase one of those multi use battery boxes that has an air compressor and tire inflation hose, USB charger, Inverter and best of all a 12VDC cigarette lighter receptacle and Jumper Cables and just plug your 12VDC cable directly into it.

I dont know how may times one of these has come in handy at starting a vehicle or airing up a tire.

Your money will not be wasted.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #22

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I got a 12 v male lighter socket plug to male jack plug on ebay for my insignia 12 v LCD TV fits perfectly with the correct polarity. Also noticed on ebay 7 and 9 inch monitors for DVD player's and backup cameras that use 12V and very little current. Thinking about trying the one I bought for my rear view camera in my camper.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #23

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Purchase one of those multi use battery boxes that has an air compressor and tire inflation hose, USB charger, Inverter and best of all a 12VDC cigarette lighter receptacle and Jumper Cables

My Scamp came with the 5-wire plug shunted into a 4-wire, with a 12v plug attached under the sink area. I put one of those battery setups under the driver's side bench and it's great. I have a water pump, the original lights, and then I plug a phone charger into it for accessories. It lasts me all weekend and then I just take it out and keep it on it's smart charger in my garage when not in use.
chrischampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Timber Wolf.... DC Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have a small flat screen TV that happens to be 12V but came with a 120V power supply and AC plug. I have not as yet found a suitable 12V plug but plan on doing so in the event I want to run it on 12V without an inverter. That said, the amperage for this device is so low as to make any losses from the up/down conversion running through an inverter pretty low as well.
Howdy Wolf,

If you are having trouble finding the correct plug to run the TV off 12V just buy another power supply on Ebay for about $10. Cut the cable off
the brick and splice to a DC car type cable. Make sure to check the polarity of the plug before using it.

Good Luck,

Uncle Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #25

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
I ran a cable from the battery to a fusebox under the rear bunk. Power separated for TV, ham radio and am/fm sat radio. Found I don't watch TV, ended up using the TV as a monitor for my laptop when I am forced to do work. Does well with watching DVD's and other video formats. As mentioned, make sure you connect the proper way. A good investment is a cheap digital voltmeter. I got the "mid-sized" one from Horror Freight, it works OK (Not the "free" ones, those never seem to work for me). Most of the cheap units I have played with are center positive power, but do check. Using a fuse is an excellent idea as well. Fires in a camper are things to avoid. Still trying to find a convenient way to mount the darn thing. Right now it sits on the table until lights out, just disconnect and stow away. Maybe mount on the ceiling.....!

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote