running light wiring - do you know the locations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #1

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
running light wiring - do you know the locations?

My wife and I just got a 1980 Boler 1700 last week! That's the great part! YEAH!

I'm changing out the running/signal/brake lights and found there is a short in the running light circuit. If you look at the attached diagram you can see the area I circled...

Behind the back left tail light I've got:
left turn signal wire (1 red)
three negative wires (3 white)
three running light wires (3 green) spliced in the back left tail light - I metered them out and found out:
-1 green comes from the front of the trailer
-1 green feeds the right tail light
-1 green feeds the running lights along the top back

I'm trying to find out where the splices and wiring for the top running lights are hidden. I've followed these wires under in/under the rear gaucho by the water tank. Yes, there is wiring there, but no splices.

All of the marker/running lights along the top back of the trailer have only one set (+/-) of wires entering it. All these individual sets comes from somewhere... but where do they branch off the wire that comes from the left turn signal?

I don't want to rip apart the insulation in the cabinet at the top back of the trailer just on the off-chance it's hidden behind there so I was hoping someone who has taken their trailer apart might know where these splices are hidden. Has anyone had experience with this?

For future reference I wouldn't mind knowing where the front running lights are fed from as well.

Luckily, the turn signal and brake light wiring is alright so at least the rig is road-worthy.

Thanks in advance!

Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: bmp running lights2.bmp (290.1 KB, 25 views)
calindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Clayton, cant answer your question but if you bring the trailer out to the Fiberglass trailer meet happening at Fort Langley this week-end I bet someone can help you with it! Lots of Bolers coming to the meet. Best day would be Saturday if you want help with it. PM if you would like more info on the meet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Chances are it will be a "rats nest" of wiring. It will probably depend on the factory where it was manufactured as to the colour coding they used for wiring. This is a 1979 Neonex manufactured in Winfield, BC. You may need to cut some of the insulation for access as they simply applied the insulation over the wiring, giving no thought to future access.

Since I am completely redoing my trailer I will allow for access to the wiring so future owners will not have the same problem.

Here is my YouTube channel showing the renovation of the trailer. Should be complete by next summer.

kevinhenry61's Channel - YouTube

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #4

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Carol:
The first thing my wife did after we purchased our Boler was sign us up! Gina then called me and told me were going camping on the 16th!
See you there!

Kevin:
Thanks for the links. I really like your videos; I will be watching a lot more of them in the near future.

I guess it's my background in electronics and the electrical field, but hidden wiring (particularly hidden splices) REALLY bug me! I guess it's just the reality of manufacturing practices; things will be done in the most economical manner. This means putting wiring and splices wherever it is easy and fast.

In this case... ANYWHERE. Hah!

Clayton
calindor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light