Running the refrigerator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Thanks for the answer Carol. I did ask because everyone I know runs with the LP on. Just wanted to the reasons some don't.
My mind gets mushy too
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
My mind gets mushy too
LOL yup it can create problems!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #23

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Quote:
I am probable more cautionary than some when it comes to playing odds
O Lawd, Carol! Let's not start the scary propane issue again!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
O Lawd, Carol! Let's not start the scary propane issue again!!!
well as you know on the other thread regarding Scary propane, I love propane appliances and wouldn't own a trailer without them.... but I was asked to explain my reasons for not driving with the tanks on.... as I said Not everyone needs to or has to agree
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #25

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Hi Mrprez - when I have everything in the fridge there usually isn't much spare room for things to jiggle around. Any spots I'm not confident about I stuff with the clean teatowels and washcloths. I believe in Keep It Simple!

We don't drive with the propane on. Personal choice I guess.
If we have to pay for an electric site we use their power, otherwise we use propane and battery.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #26

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Why not drive with propane on? I don't use a phone, or smoke a cigarette at a gas pump (when I used to smoke) for the same reason.......... just in case. Why take unnecessary chances?

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 AM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Thanks for the answer Carol. I did ask because everyone I know runs with the LP on. Just wanted to the reasons some don't.
My mind gets mushy too

Dave,
I don't run on propane for two major reasons, only one of which is a "safety" concern, but not for fear of towing a "fireball." 1st, when I pull into a gas station to fuel the tow vehicle, I do not want to have a flame anywhere in proximity to gasoline fumes. Just my personal preference. 2nd, I have run on propane and had it blow out. This is not a safety concern because the thermocouple stops the flow of propane rather quickly, but it does nothing to keep the contents of the refrigerator cold. On the other hand, the Arizona tea jug I referred to in a previous post has never "blown out," has never concerned me when pumping gasoline, and has always kept my food as cold as would a cooler no matter how long I tow on a given day.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Due to how long it takes most of our fridges to cool right down - turning it on at least 12 hours prior is always a good idea. Adding only cold foods to it also helps. I keep a couple of small freezer packs in the freezer compartment and use those beside the dairy products and meats while running down the road. Keep the fridge closed and it will stay cool for the day without running it on DC.
This is exactly what we do, too. We keep perishables in plastic bins in the fridge and nestle the freezer packs in for the ride. We also keep a remote thermometer in the fridge to keep an eye on the temp. Freezer packs go back in the freezer for the next day if we're on the road. We also pre-cool the fridge prior to heading out.

We also find our refrigerator stays cooler on propane, although we mostly camp without electric so that makes that choice much easier.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator